Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Which category of vehicle for Indian highway use?
A diesel car 57 34.34%
A diesel SUV 109 65.66%
Voters: 166. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 7th June 2007, 01:36   #46
BHPian

Seems like i will opt for SUV's time and again due to the roads available to us here.
Old 7th June 2007, 10:10   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLL View Post
this poll is a perfect sample for SUV demand in india. companies like maruti, hyundai plan need to bring in a SUV under 10L...
may be the Fortuner will be an answer to that prayer, if they place it below 12 lakhs.
Old 18th July 2009, 17:28   #48
NIP
Senior - BHPian

lol...just hit upon this old thread look at the last post...June 2007...fortuner is still not here !! wake up toyota !!
Old 18th July 2009, 17:37   #49
Senior - BHPian

Let me change the question slightly. If you didn't need the utility and if a regular car could take the roads you travel on (most cars in India will take all regular roads and off-roading is something a minority of us do), would you still buy an SUV for the presence? Is it worth the lower FE and the environmental damage that you're doing?
Old 18th July 2009, 19:14   #50
Senior - BHPian

As NIP said, digging up an old thread...
but my choice would be a SUV. its got the street presence & it gets respect from other "CARS" on the road.

heck, i am not concerned about high speed handling. my SUV is stable at speeds of 140 kmph & i am happy with that. i dont intend to attack at corner with my speedo needle above 120, thats not my forte!

instead my SUV is more practical. my SUV laughs on potholed roads & glides over elephant sized speed breakers where other sedans come down to a crawling speed. it also helps me to wave through mumbai's water logged streets especially when sedan owners have queued up to the right most lane to protect their car! me being 6'1", i dont need to perform any antics to get in & out of a car, instead i can comfortable walk into & out of an SUV. i dont need to get scared by a moron (most probably in a badly modified swift/lancer/city) who tries to cut into my lane to show off, i simply dont give such idiots any consideration. if both cars touch, its their loss!

so i love SUVs.
Old 18th July 2009, 20:43   #51
NIP
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
As NIP said, digging up an old thread...
but my choice would be a SUV. its got the street presence & it gets respect from other "CARS" on the road.

heck, i am not concerned about high speed handling. my SUV is stable at speeds of 140 kmph & i am happy with that. i dont intend to attack at corner with my speedo needle above 120, thats not my forte!

instead my SUV is more practical. my SUV laughs on potholed roads & glides over elephant sized speed breakers where other sedans come down to a crawling speed. it also helps me to wave through mumbai's water logged streets especially when sedan owners have queued up to the right most lane to protect their car! me being 6'1", i dont need to perform any antics to get in & out of a car, instead i can comfortable walk into & out of an SUV. i dont need to get scared by a moron (most probably in a badly modified swift/lancer/city) who tries to cut into my lane to show off, i simply dont give such idiots any consideration. if both cars touch, its their loss!

so i love SUVs.
Well put Raj. My thoughts likewise.
Old 18th July 2009, 21:15   #52
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NIP View Post
Well put Raj. My thoughts likewise.
absolutely NIP. and bangy is a place where the morons i mentioned-

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
i dont need to get scared by a moron (most probably in a badly modified swift/lancer/city) who tries to cut into my lane to show off, i simply dont give such idiots any consideration. if both cars touch, its their loss!
are aplenty on the roads with no regard to traffic rules & lane discipline. such guys need to be taught a lesson & that can be done only with a tougher/mightier vehicle, in short, a SUV. not that mumbai is any better. here, formula one drivers pose as cab drivers in call centre indicas!

Disclaimer: before anybody comments that SUV owners are rash drivers... i know that these cars are much faster than my SUV & i do give them way if they flash light or blink their indicators.
Old 18th October 2009, 11:20   #53
Distinguished - BHPian

Indian highway context: diesel car/SUV ?

Please note that this is not a What Car thread; vehicle names are irrelevant and are to be ignored. This is to capture the category of vehicle instead, from the following general Indian usage PoV.

Consider the current Indian context:

1. Travel loving family/friends
2. Regular extended road getaways.
3. Long distances to be covered
4. Condition of highways/roads not always known
5. Driving/Travelling comfort
6. Safety
7. Last, but not least, economies to scale. A getaway cannot mean a substantial hole in the pocket from fuel expenses alone.

In light of these requirements, what is ideal, and why:

1. A 6-lakh diesel car, or
2. A 10-lakh diesel SUV ? (Vans can be ignored for this discussion)

Last edited by theMAG : 18th October 2009 at 14:25.
Old 18th October 2009, 11:30   #54
Senior - BHPian

I have voted for the second option. A ten lakh diesel SUV. Earlier my family had only 3 members and now we are five. When ever we go on long tours, carrying the luggage becomes a problem + we expect the family to grow later next year = SUV.
Old 18th October 2009, 11:46   #55
Senior - BHPian

Definitely a big (read - HUGE) car for our lawless highways which are often absent and are replaced by huge craters. The added space might come in handy for lounging / catching 40 winks. The luggage space is a must for long haul travel.

Cheers,
Old 18th October 2009, 12:03   #56
BHPian

Can you please add a third option to this poll - A spacious sedan that offers better maneuverability in city traffic (as compared to a SUV) and more boot space than a hatchback.

I personally would put my money on a 7-8L diesel sedan with tons of space.

Last edited by theMAG : 18th October 2009 at 12:08. Reason: Removing vehicle names
Old 18th October 2009, 12:06   #57
Distinguished - BHPian

CH,

This would be specifically for highway driving as mentioned in the descriptions. City driving considerations are ignored for this discussion.

Vehicle category is discussed as opposed to vehicle names.

Last edited by theMAG : 18th October 2009 at 12:08.
Old 18th October 2009, 12:10   #58
Distinguished - BHPian

A hatch for the highways is not my idea of great fun. An SUV fits the bill, so does a sedan (albeit one with decent ground clearance).
Old 18th October 2009, 12:31   #59
Team-BHP Support

6L means only a small diesel hatchback.

I would add a third option, 8L diesel sedan like the Verna, linea, Fiesta, Manza, Dzire.

Sedans have the added boot space, better highway handling than the hatch as well as the SUV.

A diesel SUV would be good but you just can't enjoy as much in a tall SUV than you would in a sedan through the twisties and mountain sides.
Old 18th October 2009, 12:31   #60
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMAG View Post
CH,

This would be specifically for highway driving as mentioned in the descriptions. City driving considerations are ignored for this discussion.

Vehicle category is discussed as opposed to vehicle names.
People don't buy a vehicle keeping only highway driving considerations in mind unless its their 2'nd or 3'rd car.

People with one car need something of an all rounder. And I for one don't like the road manners of any of the sub 10L SUV's.

All that said, I'd take a 6L diesel hatch any day.

Last edited by CrackedHead : 18th October 2009 at 12:33.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks