Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Which category of vehicle for Indian highway use?
A diesel car 57 34.34%
A diesel SUV 109 65.66%
Voters: 166. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 18th October 2009, 12:34   #61
BHPian

I've voted for a diesel hatchback. I generally travel with only two on-board or max 4. A hatchback, specifically the one I have is good enough to carry goods for 4 people for one week and carry them in comfort.

1. Travel loving family/friends - 4/5 is max that will travel together in my case. More than that is a pain even in a SUV. Only Innova is capable of carrying more than 5 in comfort but its not an SUV. What about luggage space with 7/8 people in an SUV?
2. Regular extended road getaways - A hatchback is definitely comfortable and lighter on pocket.
3. Long distances to be covered - Modern diesels are more than capable of that and in good comfort. SUV have a heavy roll to them which gets tiring on a long run IMO. Hatchbacks are more comfortable IMO
4. Condition of highways/roads not always known - One big advantage for the SUVs. Potholes are a no bother, but passengers do take the brunt induced by the roll. On hatchbacks, one has to definitely slow down. No other way out.
5. Driving/Travelling comfort - Driving comfort is better on a hatch IMO. Travelling comfort is also better on a hatchback bcoz of less roll. Safari is the only SUV which I feel gives good comfort over long drives becoz of the space it offers.
6. Safety - Modern hatches are also safe. SUVs give the impression of being safe and the bullies definitely give way to SUVs.
7. Last, but not least, economies to scale. A getaway cannot mean a substantial hole in the pocket from fuel expenses alone - A hatch is definitely more economical than an SUV.

But for me a Sedan is better than either of these for long drives, but couldn't consider it as it wasn't given as an option.
Old 18th October 2009, 12:53   #62
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid6639 View Post
6L means only a small diesel hatchback.
I guess a lil above 6 lacs we have entry level sedans like Dzire , Logan and Manza. But only Logan and Manza are spacious till that budget , the hatches in that range are not very roomy.

I would go for a 10 lac SUV.
Old 18th October 2009, 13:34   #63
Senior - BHPian

6 lac car and 10 lac SUV is not ideal to compare. I suggest lets discuss between 8 lac car and 10 lac SUV.

In any case 10 lac SUV wins for sure! especially in Indian highway. Show me one highway which is completed 100%. India is not trying to learn from mistakes. SUV/MPV are best suited for Indian highways.

Regards,

Ravi.
Old 18th October 2009, 13:38   #64
BHPian

I think if the family is not big & luggage is less a hatch should be good to drive.

Last edited by theMAG : 18th October 2009 at 14:27. Reason: Removing car names. Thanks
Old 18th October 2009, 13:40   #65
~~h
BHPian

with 6-lakh diesel car and a 10-lakh diesel SUV the choice is pretty much straightforward.. Pick the SUV.
Pros:
Spacious, Can take on broken patches with ease even when loaded with 5 adults.
Cons: High GC, Braking not confidence inspiring as the Car.
Old 18th October 2009, 13:43   #66
BHPian

My vote is for the SUV primarily because of unknown road conditions.
Old 18th October 2009, 14:22   #67
Senior - BHPian

1) Voted for Diesel SUV. Any given day, SUV are better to travel on highways because of bad roads, indisciplined traffic and the trucks. A low slung sedan is good for roads that are expresshighway, but not for normal highways.

2) During rainy season when even highways have water lodging at some places, SUV are better for crossing those water invaded roads. This is something one starts appreciating after driving in low slung car.

3) The chances of surviving after a crash with HCV are higher in SUV.
Old 18th October 2009, 16:46   #68
Senior - BHPian

Well I see the logic of category but why is the sedan a cheaper one while the SUV is expensive? Let's have a ten lakh sedan against a ten lakh SUV. Or more generally, an SUV vs sedan comparo. That makes far more sense than a rather oblique sedan vs SUV comparo.
Old 18th October 2009, 17:54   #69
BHPian

SUV feels more comfortable and safe (psychologically) when driving around trucks on SH, especially when you get struck in highway traffic where you get trucks and cabs pushing you from all side if you are in sedan or hatchbacks. Also, body rolls shouldnt worry you much if you cruise in 100 which is always the comfortable speed in indian roads.
Old 18th October 2009, 19:04   #70
BHPian

I think this voting thread is irrelevant.

Most Indians will choose SUV (low morale and unsecured feeling of bigger the better)

That is because we have widest roads in the world and lowest-density population. We can easily put Japan to shame.

Last edited by aerohit : 18th October 2009 at 19:06.
Old 18th October 2009, 19:48   #71
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohit View Post
I think this voting thread is irrelevant.

Most Indians will choose SUV (low morale and unsecured feeling of bigger the better)

That is because we have widest roads in the world and lowest-density population. We can easily put Japan to shame.
What's up with that bro?
Old 18th October 2009, 22:43   #72
Senior - BHPian

Voted for a 6-L diesel car (hatch / sedan, whatever).
Reasons:

1. Economical (18-20 kpl on the diesel car vs 10-13 kpl on the diesel SUV, that's a substantial difference that can help you get a more expensive accomodation)
2. Lesser body roll, better braking and high-speed manners
3. Easier to squeeze into the tight parking lots of some of the hotels, esp those in the hill stations
4. More comfortable driving position.
5. There are rarely more than 3-4 members in families nowadays who travel together (I travel alone 80% of the time).

However, there are two things SUVs do much better:
1. Better ground clearance esp for flooded roads and faster speeds over bad roads.
2. Better luggage carrying capacity.

I don't really buy the point about safety in crashes with large vehicles. That works only if you hit trucks from the back.
Old 19th October 2009, 18:54   #73
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Of course the SUV!

- Higher stance, better visibility at the front. You can literally look over the car ahead and plan your overtaking manouveur.

- Can carry more people in comfort.

- Can carry more luggage (we Indians love to pack, wot?)

- The kind of broken roads that our highways are made of, are exactly the type that SUVs were designed for.

- Pesky contraptions (home built three wheelers etc.) give way to bigger vehicles.

Of course, I am talking about traditional Indian highways here. Bring clean expressways into the picture, and I'll take a sedan any which day. Way better handling + fun to drive.
Old 19th October 2009, 19:33   #74
BHPian

Going by the design of our highways, its definitely SUV. With the higher ground clearance and heavy suspension, only SUVs can take the beating on our highways. regular sedans can do the duty but will need to overhaul the suspension every couple of trips. SUV will go on..n..on...before the suspension has issues. Add to it the heavy loading of long highway trips.
Old 19th October 2009, 20:37   #75
Senior - BHPian

SUV/MUV especially one that can take abuse well. Innova is a perfect example you can still be doing speeds in excess of 100 when all the hatches and sedans slow down to a crawl because of bad(read non existant roads).
If travel is primarily on expressways i would prefer a low slung petrol sedan with performance suspension and performance tyres.
But for most of our highways i would prefer an innova with michellin mxv8s or the new primacy LC.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks