Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Which category of vehicle for Indian highway use?
A diesel car 57 34.34%
A diesel SUV 109 65.66%
Voters: 166. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 5th March 2013, 21:55   #106
Senior - BHPian

Re: Highway usage: Diesel Car or SUV ?

For highway purpose i would definitely pick an diesel SUV/Crossover. Mainly keeping in mind the road conditions in our country apart from the few National highways and expressways connecting major cities, other places don't have reasonably good roads. Higher ground clearance is really helpful, atleast from my experiences.
Old 5th March 2013, 22:58   #107
Distinguished - BHPian

Depends on the kind of highways you wish to drive on. If its down south like NH7 ( 4 lane and pristine) I would definitely take a sedan over an SUV. Considering the cars in the same budget , a sedan is definitely faster and safer (no body roll, much better brakes, better high speed stability). Then again if you travel with a lot of baggage and more than 4 people, an SUV or MUV would be a better option.

I would take a base trim diesel Skoda Superb over a Fortuner any day. Its a different matter that I drive a petrol Laura making near about 300hp on the highways.
robimahanta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th March 2013, 23:08   #108
Distinguished - BHPian

Voted for a diesel sedan. My experience of highway drives has been mostly with an Innova and now from the last year and a half with the Altis. And without a doubt I can say that a sedan is much more comfortable over long drives provided you don't need to carry more than 4-5 people. The sedan offers you better grip on the road plus the handling and confidence inspiring braking. The cruising speeds of 120-130 kmph can be maintained with ease without feeling that the engine is strained or is making a lot of noise. And finally the mind boggling FE that it still returns.

The only place I would prefer an SUV is where the roads are totally non existent. But most Indian highways today are easily manageable with a sedan.
Old 5th March 2013, 23:28   #109
Senior - BHPian

I spent most of my life driving sedans or hatchbacks. Additionally I have always preferred petrol to diesel (with the exception of the torque diesels generate, I don't find any benefit to them). To make things even more fun, I dislike the upright seating position of SUV/MUV and prefer the low slung seating position of sports cars/sedans etc. Love my esteem for it's low seating.

Thus I guess I would rather have a petrol sedan or hatchback. Obviously that is a pain on some of our Indian roads, where GC is more important than anything else.

Can't vote as no option for petrol sedan so didn't vote
Old 6th March 2013, 00:05   #110
BHPian

I drove my 2005 Scorpio for over a lakh kilometers all over India barring the NE. Never have I thought twice about the road conditions or the fear that I may have to take a detour. Monsoons and flooded roads were never an issue. The Scorpio took all of it. I have driven it regularly on the high ways at speeds exceeding 130 kmph. Never did she fail me during those several mile munching trips. I survived the 26th July Mumbai floods having spent more than 30 hours in the car when she was just 2 weeks old.
'
Then I moved on to a Cruze. The 15000 odd kilometers that I have done included some long GQ trips. I even did a Mumbai - Coimbatore non-stop drive in under 17 hours in my Cruze. 6.30am Vashi toll Naka, 11.30 pm Coimbatore.

Then, recently, the SUV 'keeda' bit me again. I test drove a few of the sub 17 lakh SUVs recently(barring the Duster). I was in for a shock. I couldnt bring myself to drive fast. They felt so unnerving. I was left wondering how used to drive the Scorpio at those speeds without the slightest fear, feeling perfectly in control. Like they say 'ignorance is bliss'.
Inspite of what I have said above, I have still voted for an SUV. I guess I am a more mature and responsible driver now. A fast diesel sedan is ideal for those quick intercity trips where the roads are good. But India has a mixture of roads and an even more bizarre climate. Most of all, we are a one car/family nation. A second car is a luxury enjoyed by a minuscule percentage of the population. Under these circumstances, an SUV driven responsibly and within its limits makes more sense. I want to drive to Leh/Ladhak one day.
Old 6th March 2013, 01:18   #111
BHPian

I would take neither (and hence didn't vote). I prefer a petrol sedan on the highway any day.

If I had a choice, I would have Robi's Petrol 300HP Laura on the highway any day - Every day! :-)
Old 6th March 2013, 01:41   #112
BHPian

I would prefer a car to an SUV on the highway. I like something that handles well with minimal roll and good handlig and i think that basically means car over suv. There are probably a few suvs which might be good. I expect the ecosport to be quite good too, but in general I would pick a car.
Old 6th March 2013, 09:20   #113
Senior - BHPian

For me its the type of roads that Decide a vehicle.

I have a Linea MJD and Scorpio Mhawk SLE at home,and when it comes to their driving characteristics,they are worlds apart,Linea has excellent handling and ride quality that can match vehicles in the next segment,on the other hand we have the Scorpio which i known for its Bumpy ride and Sloppy handling.

Last week i did two 600Kms\Day drives on Consecutive days,on same route.
The highway due to recent February rains was not in its best of condition and was pothole infested for a few stretches,and not to mention omnipresent speed traps,made me maintain decent legal speeds.

Day 1-I took the linea,and every time it went through a pothole,i got a heartburn,as a result,i had to play around a lot with the steering,to dodge the potholes,by the end of the day i was pretty tired.

Day 2-I took the Scorpio,i could fly over the potholes,without losing any speed,and by the end of the day i was pretty comfortable for a few hundered kms more,though it may be noted that ride quality of scorpio may be bumpy for rear passengers,but ride quality/and seating comfort is pretty decent for driver and Navigator.

For guys cribbing about body roll,i can relate to both,Linea has almost nil body roll,where as Scorpio is infamous for it,but as long as you stick to legal and decent speeds,body roll does not bother you much.
Old 6th March 2013, 10:59   #114
Senior - BHPian

A diesel SUV anyday for me since i typically drive under 120. BUT- i will go for an SUV that has ABS and airbags- an SUV without these, esp ABS, is a recipie for disaster. Also, having moved from a Ladder on Frame SUV (first Safari and then Scorpio) to a crossover (Captiva) i feel that for regular driving, a crossover gives you the best of both worlds
Old 6th March 2013, 11:19   #115
Senior - BHPian

Ideally, I would prefer a rev happy petrol car any day (every day) - fuel cost be damned & roads being ignored (if I can). But it's difficult to ignore the roads & the people driving on them, so next buy would be a modern diesel SUV. For me a diesel car is pointless, neither can you ignore the road nor can you enjoy the smoothness+music of the petrol engine.
Old 6th March 2013, 11:28   #116
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by asr245 View Post
Ideally, I would prefer a rev happy petrol car any day (every day) - fuel cost be damned & roads being ignored (if I can). But it's difficult to ignore the roads & the people driving on them, so next buy would be a modern diesel SUV. For me a diesel car is pointless, neither can you ignore the road nor can you enjoy the smoothness+music of the petrol engine.
And what would that mean?
btw ever driven a good powerful modern diesel sedan(preferably a European) on a open highway?
Old 6th March 2013, 11:29   #117
BHPian

Given the road situation in India, I shall prefer to be in a big SUV any day. Not only does it give you an ability to glide over potholes and speed breakers effortlessly, it also allows you a better view of the road.

And, a little bit of respect from fellow road users does not harm either.
Old 6th March 2013, 15:34   #118
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
And what would that mean?
btw ever driven a good powerful modern diesel sedan(preferably a European) on a open highway?
1. One cannot ignore the state/condition of the road in a sedan while you can do that (to a large extent) in a SUV.
2. No but do i really have to? what if I can't afford one? Also, I do love the music engine my WagonR makes (well, below 5K rpm) while I detest the noise my made by my FILs Dzire (diesel). I am not addicted to torque.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks