Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 18th March 2023, 00:07   #241
Senior - BHPian

Re: Toyota Hilux launched at Rs. 33.99 lakh

A slight OT but needs to be mentioned. GST input for a vehicle can only be taken in the following cases:
1. You're a car dealer and sell the brand's vehicles under an agreement and a trade certificate from the RTO.
2. You're using the vehicles as a taxi with a yellow plate registration.
3. You're using the vehicle as a school van or a school bus.
4. You're using the vehicle as a driving school instruction vehicle.

That's it. No other way can GST be claimed. Not even on Test drive vehicles.

So always claiming that the businessman benefits from everything the government does is wrong. The GST payment, filing returns and ensuring that all norms are met alone are enough of an expense and a headache to nullify any benefits at all.

I hope the country gets out of this mentality of blaming the businessman for anything and everything.

Coming back to the Hilux.
What a useless price update. The only model worth looking at is the AT. Which has received a price increase.

I recently drove one for about 400 kms. Frankly I found it to be extremely comfortable on the highway. Flat ride and consistent speed owing to the robust suspension and torquey engine.

Had it not been for the price I would have snatched one immediately. If only it was offered OTR at the price it is being offered at ex showroom.
But alas.
navpreet318 is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 20th March 2023, 12:11   #242
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The "NEW" Car Price Check Thread - Track Price Changes, Discounts, Offers & Deals

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rainmaker View Post
Similarly, I'd like to see the D-Max V Cross priced well below 15 lakhs based on the current offering unless they want to step up the game with better quality interiors and more powerful engine and transmission.
I think if you are in the market to purchase a new car, sticker shock awaits you - i20 now costs 15L.

15L in current value will get you the rolling chassis of VCross without a body perhaps.

Pricing may not be the problem with vehicles like this, someone has to release a vehicle in this segment that is cool, desirable. Perhaps a pickup truck with convertible roof may do the trick - who knows.
Kosfactor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th March 2023, 12:11   #243
BHPian

Re: The "NEW" Car Price Check Thread - Track Price Changes, Discounts, Offers & Deals

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
It's not just here but in many countries. Am sure you are aware of the notorious charges for parking that Singapore charges. Even in EU, the GST will be 20% and higher. Yes, it's relatively better for businesses as they can book interest, repairs etc as expenses too but prices don't come anywhere close to the US market if we talk about premium cars.
Not a fair comparison IMHO. The countries you mentioned above are WAY better than India in terms of the infrastructure. In fact, Singapore has 200% import duty on cars! But I'd gladly pay that kind of duty to own a car there because the kind of roads they have there are out of this world. Same is the case with EU. It's a pleasure driving cars there on those roads

The traffic is not as bad, pedestrians are way more disciplined, cattle don't bask in the sun sitting in the middle of the road/highway, dogs don't just jump onto the road/highways out of nowhere, the roads are made with the best compression and materials possible, the rules are strict for anyone breaking traffic laws, population is way less than India, speed breakers are installed on entry/exit ramps and not on highways etc. I mean I don't mind paying taxes in a country that offers me so much for the taxes being collected. But here in India, paying even 1% as tax pinches me to the core mate, no offense .

That is the reason I'm strictly against buying a new car since the time they've bumped up the taxes and duties on new cars because it's pointless in a country like India unless I'm a businessman and can claim some benefit out of it. That's just my "personal" opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosfactor View Post
I think if you are in the market to purchase a new car, sticker shock awaits you - i20 now costs 15L.

15L in current value will get you the rolling chassis of VCross without a body perhaps.

Pricing may not be the problem with vehicles like this, someone has to release a vehicle in this segment that is cool, desirable. Perhaps a pickup truck with convertible roof may do the trick - who knows.
You're right. But I'd never buy a Hyundai/Kia anyway for obvious reasons. Isuzu was something I was looking at because I've to travel a lot throughout the country. But it was too under-powered for my taste and given the fact that it used to sell for 12 lakhs at one point of time, I couldn't justify the price premium because other than the cosmetic facelift, nothing much has changed so the price hike is meaningless in my book.

As for releasing a vehicle in this segment, we really cannot expect a powerful and quality vehicle in this segment unless the taxes are dialed down. Taxes are the main reason for the higher prices. Manufacturers can only do so much in the present times, sadly.

Mod Note: Our Toyota Hilux Review has been taken live at this link. Please continue the discussion over on the new thread. Thanks!

Last edited by Aditya : 20th March 2023 at 13:10.
The Rainmaker is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks