Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 24th May 2022, 07:52   #121
BHPian

Re: Toyota Hilux launched at Rs. 33.99 lakh

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMonk View Post
Plenty near Ranikhet where I live!

By the way, I am having difficulty setting up Android Auto wireless. Any suggestions? Thanks
Perhaps we should link up, I'm in Naukuchiatal at the moment. Do a Hilux shoot.

Great choice on the tires. Since you live in the area, those make more sense to have vs the G015.

The HU doesn't support wireless anything (AA or CP). Go cable, for now, I have a nice solution in the works. Will get back to you when it's tested.

As for the driving experience, 25 hours in 36 hours 1250 kms. The Hilux never felt it was underpowered and the location I'm staying in has a difficult drive and where I felt 4H would be needed, wasn't, so the torque is ample.

I felt the D-Max does have a lesser low-end grunt but with a bit of driver skill, it can be fine. With the Hilux, it's evident that a person with lesser skills can still make it through safely.

Fuel economy was 11.7, eco mode and an average of 110. This thing is soo stable at highway speeds that you can't even tell. The hills have brought the fuel economy to 8.5.

I tried to get premium fuel each time but the last full up was regular HP. This thing can go long hauls without an issue. I crossed the entire Rajasthan (from Palanpur to Gurgaon) on a single tank (RJ rates higher, thankful the price drop happened the day I left). 800+ kms on a tank is fantastic.

Last edited by Turbanator : 24th May 2022 at 08:42. Reason: Please do not mention any illegal speeds.
dhruvmalik is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th May 2022, 11:39   #122
Senior - BHPian

One good part about ute's is the endless scope for modifications! Came across this interesting video - end-result does look impressive, road-legality aspect not withstanding

cool_dube is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 25th May 2022, 20:33   #123
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKBKS View Post
We are now hunting for a bed cover. Any ideas will be welcome!!
Bimbra 4x4 is offering the Hamer Roller Shutter right now (automatic + fully retractable).

Might be worth waiting for a few months more, as more Tonneau cover options start coming into the market in other garages.
Old 26th May 2022, 11:31   #124
BHPian

Took delivery in Bangalore

My hilux high AT silver came home last week and is now getting its mods done for making it an overland rig. Overall a good delivery experience at Nandi toyota but seems like TKML does not care too much about the Bangalore customers . All the "free" accessories are still not given (bed rack, tail gate things) and many paid accessories are also not yet in stock here.

The stock vehicle

Toyota Hilux launched at Rs. 33.99 lakh-stock.jpeg

The changes being done now are:
  • Replaced stock tyres with BFG AT same size and thread.

Toyota Hilux launched at Rs. 33.99 lakh-bfg-post.jpeg
  • PPF for the front half of the vehicle.

Toyota Hilux launched at Rs. 33.99 lakh-ppf-pre.jpeg

Toyota Hilux launched at Rs. 33.99 lakh-ppf-post.jpeg
  • Wrapped with carbon fibre finish on the chrome

Toyota Hilux launched at Rs. 33.99 lakh-carbon-fib.jpeg

Next up are the accessories from Toyota, like the wheel arch cladding, door visors tail gate assist, bed-liner etc when TKM decides to bless us.
vkiran_2000 is offline   (29) Thanks
Old 26th May 2022, 12:30   #125
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vkiran_2000 View Post
All the "free" accessories are still not given (bed rack, tail gate things) and many paid accessories are also not yet in stock here.
Looks like they are making the bed liner + tailgate assist + rear decal logo combo free in a lot of dealerships now. I got a call from my dealer in Dehradun on the 17th of this month, saying that they would provide these 3 items free of cost; by the 23rd I was informed that they had arrived.

I placed an order on the 23rd for some other fittings as well, and they promised to have them ready for installation by the 1st of June.

The plant just reopened on the 15th of May, so I'm guessing by the 1st week of June most accessories should be available.
corneliu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th May 2022, 13:19   #126
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vkiran_2000 View Post

Took delivery in Bangalore

My hilux high AT silver came home last week and is now getting its mods done for making it an overland rig. Overall a good delivery experience at Nandi toyota but seems like TKML does not care too much about the Bangalore customers . All the "free" accessories are still not given (bed rack, tail gate things) and many paid accessories are also not yet in stock here.
Congratulations on Hilux. Toyota should consider selling BFG as official accessory, 90% of the owners have gone with these tires right after delivery. Can you let me know where did you get chrome wrapped? Is this reversible or are they using glue to stick the wrap.
PrideRed is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th May 2022, 14:35   #127
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrideRed View Post
Congratulations on Hilux. Toyota should consider selling BFG as official accessory, 90% of the owners have gone with these tires right after delivery. Can you let me know where did you get chrome wrapped? Is this reversible or are they using glue to stick the wrap.
I am getting this with a friend who owns WheelerCleaner/Mojo-Jojo Detailing Studio in Bangalore.
vkiran_2000 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st May 2022, 16:46   #128
BHPian

1000 km and First Service Update

Thought I will pen down a quick 1000 km review and first service experience.

There is nothing to complain about though there are a few niggles for which I do not have an answer. First the niggles -

1. There is a massive blind spot due to the combination of the right A pillar, the grab handle and the OEM window air deflector which is smoke grey in colour. With my seating position, there is atleast a 15° loss of vision which is a huge issue on tight hill roads. I am thinking of removing the grab handle and the air deflector.

2. The right arm rest is too low. I have tried every possible combination of seat/steering wheel adjustments but have not found a way to rest the arm. One is forced to keep the arm straight which gets tiring after a while.

3. Emergency Braking - The brakes are excellent but if the road is not perfect, the ute skids. The ABS kicks in but is unable to cope with the sheer inertia. I have not experienced this with my BMW X1 on the same road.

4. The touch screen though very responsive, lacks clarity. It is definitely not an HD experience. Furthermore, the head unit does not offer a wireless Apple Carplay or Android Auto and it's a pain to connect a cable each time.

5. I would have really liked a rear window defroster. Don't know why Toyota skipped on that.

6. The first service is just a check up and took less than 15 minutes. The next service is at 10K.

Apart from the above, I am really happy with the ute. Amazing performance, oodles of low end torque and comfort to boot. Everything is well designed. There is no bottoming out on rough roads, and the BFGs are performing well. I have been unable to source a tonneau cover to my liking yet and am looking out for one.
TheMonk is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2022, 19:58   #129
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

1000 km and First Service Update

3. Emergency Braking - The brakes are excellent but if the road is not perfect, the ute skids. The ABS kicks in but is unable to cope with the sheer inertia. I have not experienced this with my BMW X1 on the same road.
Think this has got to do with the ABS setting for a truck with load in the bed. Try that to see if the braking is more predictable after that. The X1 isn't a fair comparison for a ute
Revvmaster is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2022, 20:06   #130
BHPian

Yes I presume so, but it does get uncomfortable at times! Thanks
Old 5th June 2022, 21:26   #131
BHPian

Re: Toyota Hilux launched at Rs. 33.9

Quote:
[h3]1000 km and First Service Update

Apart from the above, I am really happy with the ute. Amazing performance, oodles of low end torque and comfort to boot. Everything is well designed. There is no bottoming out on rough roads, and the BFGs are performing well. I have been unable to source a tonneau cover to my liking yet and am looking out for one.
I am on the verge of deciding on a Hilux however the unsettled drive is becoming a deal breaker for me. Pls let me know if it was just the test drive car or does your Hilux also wobble (while slowing down without using the brake / just taking the foot off the accelerator) and feels slightly bumpy.

Surprisingly it is fairly stable over bumps and speed breakers however was wobbling (up and down) on plain roads at slow speeds.

Eagerly await your revert as I am hoping to buy it this week (assuming I get a positive feedback from you)
Old 5th June 2022, 21:48   #132
BHPian

Re: Toyota Hilux launched at Rs. 33.9

Hi,

There is no wobble at all. This is as stable as an aircraft carrier. I am loving the experience. You can buy the Hilux with your eyes closed. The minor niggles I have mentioned in my previous post.
Regards
TheMonk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th June 2022, 10:28   #133
BHPian

Just jotting down some observations after the first servicing + free/paid accessories install:
  • I agree with folks about the bedliner: it's okay. Nowhere near Line-X though. If one is not getting the bedliner free of cost, I would definitely recommend getting a Line-X coating done instead. It also works out to be marginally cheaper.
  • There was some confusion around the AdBlue levels at the time of delivery (there was some doubt about whether a new car comes with only 1000km worth of AdBlue). Apparently, the new car should come with AdBlue fully topped up at the time of delivery, so that during the first servicing only a cursory level check is done.
  • When I bought the car I had paid for a 3M body care package which included anti-rust coating for the underside. Due to a very rushed delivery, I was unable to properly examine the work done. I was unpleasantly surprised to get a call from my service advisor, very cheerfully asking me whether I wanted to get an anti-rust coating done for the underside. Turns out the dealer had not done the job at the time of delivery! A few phone calls with a very proactive sales manager helped resolve the issue. I have seen this issue being flagged in the underbody/anti-rust thread on this forum, and it would be great if members with experience on this could share some tips on how to properly examine the quality of underbody work done.
  • The accessory installation technicians are still pretty raw and it will take them more time learn how to ensure their work has a flawless finish. If you are planning an accessory install, it might be worthwile waiting a little longer while for them to garner more experience at the expense of lab rats such as myself.
  • Managed to get 13+kmpl FE on a highway drive (I was still on stock tyres then). Was averaging 85-90kmph (rpm around ~1500). A lot of this was cruise control (the lever position is a wee bit of a bother). I do remember the user manual mentioning something about a Dynamic Radar Cruise Control feature, but I'm not sure if the India model has it. Has anyone figured this out?
  • Completely agree about the right arm rest: it's too low, and no amount of seat adjustment will help. If someone figures out a solution to this, please do share it with us.
  • Re the window visors obstructing the right side view, I do agree this is definitely a problem. Not so much the grab handle though, in my case. I'm trying to adapt my eyes to quickly look through the visor while turning.
  • Got the tyres swapped to BFG KO2. The car definitely feels much more firm & planted. I have a lot of highway driving ahead; will share my FE observations on the new tyres thereafter.

Last edited by Axe77 : 17th June 2022 at 18:49. Reason: Minor typo.
corneliu is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 10th June 2022, 14:20   #134
BHPian

Amazing fuel efficiency - I have never got more than 10. In the hills currently it's 9.8.

My AdBlue was fully topped up. As for the arm rest, I believe that the Fortuner one has a bit of padding and it can be swapped. Just overheard it though.

Cheers!

Last edited by BlackPearl : 10th June 2022 at 16:14. Reason: Minor typo. Thanks.
TheMonk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th June 2022, 07:10   #135
BHPian

I just came back from a 3k kms trip and i averaged 11.8. in the mountains 9.5-10 sounds about right.

The best I saw was 13.5 stable (after reset) when speeds of 80 were maintained for 30 minutes (enough time to get an accurate baseline).

I think during long hauls, you loose 1L of adblue per 1k kms.

The only gripe i have is the rearview mirror. With my seating position, it tends to eat up a chunk of space. But such was the case with the Fortuner as well.
dhruvmalik is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks