Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th June 2022, 09:06   #1
BHPian

If you were to buy a car today, would you have bought the car(s) you currently own?

India is a fast growing automobile market and it has grown exponentially during the last decade or so. These days almost every month we witness multiple launches- facelifts, new variants, new cars. New launches galore sure, but do the vehicles match your requirements / use case? Now a question that begs to be answered.

If you were to buy a car today, would you have bought the car(s) you currently own, if available or relevant in the present-day market?

Talking of my/our garage-

If you were to buy a car today, would you have bought the car(s) you currently own?-my-garage.jpeg

2020 Kia Seltos Diesel(MT)- YES
We would buy Seltos(even the same colour- white) eyes closed, with a change in variant though. We would have probably opted for AT this time. The car otherwise fits our bill on most counts.

2018 Maruti Alto K10- NO
NO because the car is no longer in production. Even if it was in production the answer probably would have been a NO. However honestly speaking, given our use case, there is a dearth of options as far as small car segment is concerned.

1968 Mahindra CJ4A- NO
Simply put, this vehicle is irreplaceable for us. However we wouldn't purchase a barebones UV today with practicality in mind.

Chip in with your perspectives fellow Bhpians.
Emvi is offline   (41) Thanks
Old 10th June 2022, 09:37   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: If you were to buy a car today, would you have bought the car(s) you currently own?

I have a Sonet, meet my requirements for a diesel, automatic, compact SUV, no other option in the segment and bigger SUVs compromise on features at the price point. Overall, happy with the purchase, and, no sedans now, as ground clearance is non negotiable for me.

Regarding your own garage, the alto and Seltos can be replaced or upgraded easily, the bare basic jeep however, is hard to replace. The jeep is useful for those who in plantation / farming, sad that there isn't a decent vehicle for the job after the last Thar DI production ended.
avira_tk is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 10th June 2022, 10:08   #3
BHPian

Re: If you were to buy a car today, would you have bought the car(s) you currently own?

Good thread.

2021 Jeep Compass 4x4 AT : NO Biggest mistake of the 21 cars I have owned. Worst ever service experience. This company is best suited for US.

2018 Celerio VXI AMT :Yes No nonsense beater. No regrets whatsoever. Excellent service experience.

2011 XUV 500 W8 : Yes. Except some initial issues, this one never let me down. Good service experience.

Last edited by sheelapratosh : 10th June 2022 at 10:09. Reason: Type error
sheelapratosh is online now   (28) Thanks
Old 10th June 2022, 10:19   #4
Senior - BHPian

2021 Fortuner 4x4 AT - Yes. And the answer will remain the same till a 7 seater 4x4 EV comes into the picture.

2014 Xcent SXO AT - Again a yes. It has been reliable for me even though CrazyDriver's Xcent thread worries me. For now, there is nothing in the market that can replace it. I am particular about the smaller footprint and smooth AT. Tigor EV is the closest option I have but I don't trust the manufacturer enough. So this will continue till a sub 4M EV from Hyundai or Toyota comes into picture.

Last edited by padmrajravi : 10th June 2022 at 10:27.
padmrajravi is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 10th June 2022, 10:27   #5
Senior - BHPian

Nice Thread

Skoda Octavia 2016 Diesel MT: A big YES. Even in current market I do not see any car that can replace this, unless I am ready to spend 50+ lakhs. And for me VAG diesel (along with BMW) is the best 2 litre Diesel engine, which unfortunately isn’t available now. Very few cars can match the practicality, versatility and the mod potential of Octavia. Jetta came close 2nd for me then. But if I had delayed my purchase to 2017, I would have got VRS 230.

Fiesta 1.6s (2010 model sold in 2016): YES. The best drivers car under 20 lakhs ever to come to India. PERIOD. If I have to buy it now over other cars in the segment, all I would need is a turbo engine.

Zen (2006 model, sold in 2010): YES. I loved the low slung design and the go kart like feel. I hated the tall boys like Santro, Wagon R etc. Even now I will happily buy Zen over latest discontinued Santro, Wagon R, Celerio and even Tiago.

i20 IVT (2021 Dec model): Yes / No. Now this was more of a head decision than heart. Currently, I don’t think I would have bought any other car over this. But if Polo was available then, I might have bought it though it was cramped. Or if Nexon was available with TC or IVT gearbox, might have got it.

Last edited by sunikkat : 10th June 2022 at 10:38.
sunikkat is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 10th June 2022, 10:30   #6
BHPian

Ford Ecosport 2017 Ecoboost Titanium+ - Definitely yes and if it was an automatic and Ford did not exit, then an infinite yes.
Floyd de Souza is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 10th June 2022, 10:56   #7
GTO
Team-BHP Support

530d: Yes. Absolutely love the fast sedan! 9 years up and still feels fresh, and is loads of fun to drive.

Superb L&K: Yes. Love the limousine-like comfort & space.

Jeep Classic: No. 25 years up and the love affair continues. Very basic in nature, yet a joy to drive. But too slow & crude. I want to sell it and buy a Thar.

Sunny: Great beater car. 10 years and she still drives reasonably well (but not perfect, as its used like a beater). But I wouldn't buy it today. Maybe a Ciaz as a beater now, or an MPV like the Carens.

Regrets which I wouldn't buy again = C180 (too many problems to list, got a full refund) and Tata Indigo (too many issues to list, wore out prematurely).

Last edited by GTO : 10th June 2022 at 11:00.
GTO is offline   (24) Thanks
Old 10th June 2022, 11:04   #8
BHPian

Toyota Innova Crysta 2019 : A solid yes. I will buy the Crysta anyday.

Toyota Fortuner 2021 4x4 MT : Yes again. I don't think any car can match the wild and carefree drive experience of a Fortuner. No need to worry about bad roads, non-existing roads etc.

Maruti Suzuki Baleno 2018 CVT: Yes but with a minor variant. I would buy the manual and not CVT.
raghukodali is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 10th June 2022, 12:00   #9
KPR
BANNED

Fiat Punto evo 90Hp diesel - No for Punto but yes for a Linea MJD as a change to Punto. But Fiat has closed shop in India. With raised GC, solid build, HPS, good mileage, spot on braking and easy to maintain car, there is still no easy replacement at around 15L budget for Punto or Linea even in 2022. The only grouse for us is lack of rear space but we don't see a reason to change the car for that despite ours is close to 7 years and 1 lakh plus on the ODO. Sad that Fiat has shut shop in India but good that service support is exceptional in my town. So this car will remain forever with us.

Alto 800 BS6 (for all local errands)- Yes if that cute new Alto doing rounds in internet hits Indian market. This car was bought as stop gap measure for need of another car during Covid 2nd wave. But as a second car it fits our need perfectly.
KPR is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 10th June 2022, 12:00   #10
BHPian

Our current cars put me in a bit of a predicament. While they are both amazing cars and serve their purpose within the family exceptionally, I would've personally liked something else.

2017 Honda City ZX CVT - Yes but no, now the enthusiast in me is aching for a Skoda Rapid Monte Carlo 6MT of the same model year but you have to remember that this car would be my father's daily driver and not an enthusiast sedan where I'm gonna be elbow deep in the engine bay with every weekend.

2011 Toyota Innova 2.5 V (Converted from Type 2 to Type 4) - Again, this is a yes but no car for me. As a people carrier few can match the Gen 1 Innova. Politicians, Cab drivers, Tours and Travels companies, the elite, the common man with a large family. Never has a car appealed to such a large number of people at once but if I could go back to 2011, I would probably wait another year and buy the then brand new Tata Safari Storme 4x4.

The practical/current garage - 2017 Honda City ZX CVT and 2011 Toyota Innova 2.5 V (8 seater)

My ideal heart over mind garage - 2017 Skoda Rapid Monte Carlo 1.5 TDI 6MT and 2012 Tata Safari Storme VX 4x4.
Attached Images

Last edited by GreasyCarb55 : 10th June 2022 at 12:03.
GreasyCarb55 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 10th June 2022, 15:53   #11
BHPian

I have 4 cars.

CRV - Yes. Absolutely Love it. It is very special for me. It can go anywhere and any place.

Brio - We sold a manual Honda City and bought this as my Mom was having knee trouble with the manual City and this is primarily her car and the beater. Would I buy it again ? Yes if there was no other option but if there was parking space, I would try to convince her to use the City ZX CVT or eHEV instead.

ES - Not sure. I love the car, its got a very nice feeling to it but due to the entire premium-ness that comes along with it many times we cannot take it everywhere and people judge you unnecessarily. It is a sin to work hard, earn and spend your hard earned money in this world sometimes. But I love it over the E / 5 / A6 brigade.

Premier Padmini - Its a Sunday, touring, memorial car, something that I grew up in, an ode to my parents first car.
M00M is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 10th June 2022, 16:14   #12
Senior - BHPian

Sometimes I feel the need for a slick shifting "manual" car, the type you can stretch from 30-100 in the 2nd / 3rd gear. This would complement my present ride, which is a reliable, competent and efficient automatic CSUV but that's it.
fhdowntheline is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 10th June 2022, 16:17   #13
BHPian

Only owned two cars till date.

Tata Hexa XT: Definitely Yes. Apart from it’s mechanical strength if available with more modern features such as big sunroof, connected car features and other electronic gizmos it will be my best choice again. This time will prefer automatic though.

Hyundai Verna Fluidic Diesel 2011: No. My first car with punchy diesel engine. It served me really well but ride quality was pathetic. Started giving problems after 7 years of ownership.
sandeepsc is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th June 2022, 16:33   #14
Senior - BHPian

I would have bought back my 1.6 TDI Skoda Rapid without any second thought if available today.
deehunk is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th June 2022, 17:02   #15
Senior - BHPian

XUV3OO - Yes, nothing beats it. Bought it after thorough research. Don't think a replacement thought will come in mind for the next 5 to 7 years (at least). Planning to keep the fully loaded car even if I upgrade at a later stage in life. Has all the features, looks just great and above all, is the safest car. So, leave alone regret, would buy it again if I were to.
Raghu M is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks