Electric 131 19.32%
Strong Hybrid Electric Vehicle (SHEV) 161 23.75%
Plug-In Hybrid Electric Vehicle (PHEV) 74 10.91%
Other (please specify in your post) 4 0.59%
Voters: 678. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 6th July 2022, 07:16   #106
BHPian

Re: Powertrain preference for your next vehicle | Petrol vs Diesel vs EV vs Hybrid

Voted for PHEV.

Recently one of my friend bought a Volvo XC60 T8 Recharge in Australia. A PHEV with some mind-boggling numbers,

• a 2.0T Petrol Engine and 18.5KWH battery with a combined power output of 455 HP (312 + 143) and a combined torque of 709 NM (400 + 309).
• a fuel efficiency of little more than 10KMPL
• a real-world electric-only range of 50 - 55 kms (claimed range is 81 km) which can easily cover daily commutes for most people.
• an AWD feature (Petrol Engine powering the front axle and the electric motors on the rear axle).

I am saying this from my first hand experience, that "Hybrid" mode was insane. It can be a proper soccer mom/dad car on the weekdays with minimal emissions and also can burn some rubber if you want to, on the weekends.
ramji_or is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th July 2022, 08:12   #107
BHPian

Re: Powertrain preference for your next vehicle | Petrol vs Diesel vs EV vs Hybrid

I'll use my current vehicle for next 4-5 years more. I strongly believe that Tata EVs will capture a fair share of the market till then and will make the market competitive in EVs. So voted for EV.
Old 6th July 2022, 11:39   #108
BHPian

Voted Diesel.

Will probably be the last pure ICE vehicle I will ever buy to replace my 2011 XUV500W6 workhorse.

Will certainly consider EV/Hybrid/Hydrogen for replacement of my wifey's first gen Nexon in next ~4 years.
Old 6th July 2022, 12:29   #109
BANNED

Voted for Electric

Although, my heart is with diesel. I have plans of moving out of NCR in 2024 and finding a job somewhere else so that I can keep my perfectly fine (fingers crossed) diesel hatchback running for as long as I can.

However, I think when my Beat gives up, I'll consider getting an electric car. By then, EVs will have matured enough to satisfy my needs.
Old 6th July 2022, 13:51   #110
BHPian

Excellent timing I would say. Even though I voted for a diesel, for my daily drive I will go for an EV as my next purchase provided it's commercially/economically viable. EV will not be my single car in my garage. It will only co-live with another ICE car. Slight OT but I cannot fathom 60 lakhs plus for a KIA. I'm looking 20ish as a budget for an EV.
Old 6th July 2022, 14:38   #111
BHPian

It's petrol all they way for me. Reason being, 90% of my driving in within city and usage is very low. I am eyeing the 1.5L Taigun as my next car.

Cheers,
Rohan
rjalihal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th July 2022, 14:49   #112
BHPian

I voted for Petrol. There is still that notion in me which says that petrol is cleaner than diesel so no diesel for me.
There is a long way to go for making the infrastructure for electrics. In India, it's not a viable option yet.
HEVs may be a good choice. But I have to wait and see how it works in the mass segments in a country like ours. And what are the practical issues that it would bring.
Isn't CNG an option? why is it a part of "others" I think they sell much more than electrics now.
Old 6th July 2022, 14:53   #113
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Much as I love my internal combustion engined vehicles, the future is looming large and change is the only constant in life. Hence voted for EV.
I am not in the market for a new vehicle for a few years more yet. By the time I become ready to consider a new vehicle, I am sure the whole EV world would have matured significantly. The main considerations being range and availability/ convenience/ speed of re charging.

But it might be prudent for me to consider one EV (maybe an used Mini SE or Jaguar E Pace??), and retain one Internal Combustion vehicle, probably the Thar Petrol. Of course all this assumes that one will have the resources and the inclination to buy all these things.
Old 6th July 2022, 15:08   #114
BHPian

My next car will probably be either a Plugin hybrid (whenever one becomes available in India) or an EV; assuming the charging infrastructure improves drastically.
Range anxiety is a real issue with these EVs; the claimed range never seems to match the actual range achieved.
Old 6th July 2022, 16:40   #115
BHPian

If premium for PHEV and EV over the NA are assumed to be the same (hopefully a fair expectation), to me the PHEV would make more sense for city drivers with occasional highway rides for the following reasons:

- Daily city commute can be done at the cost of EV.
- Weekend rides may be on fuel, but higher mileage due to more efficient Atkinson cycle and regen capabilities should optimise costs.
- Range anxiety is eliminated.
- charging of PHEV is faster, you can easy charge overnight al low speed charger, and charge in say around 15 minutes on a high speed commercial charger where EV takes one hour.
- Let’s say if the battery has an 8 year warranty in both cases, and if battery replacement is needed say after 10 years, the battery replacement cost for PHEV should be fractional (at most one fourth of EV replacement cost) when compared to an EV.

On the contrary, the maintenance cost of PHEV is expected to be higher than that of EV due to higher complexity.

What do guys think of the total cost of ownership comparison between PHEV and EV ?

Last edited by ajayc123 : 6th July 2022 at 16:49.
Old 6th July 2022, 16:52   #116
BHPian

Nothing but large displacement petrol motors till I die or it’s outlawed completely. I keep my cars long and hybrids require new batteries every 8-9 years, that cancels out any fuel savings on account of their higher efficiency. Plus there is nothing that comes close to a high revving V6/V8 petrol motor, no electric and certainly no diesel. Petrol motors also have a much higher power to weight ratio vs diesel and are quieter with superior NVH.

Last edited by AJ56 : 6th July 2022 at 16:54.
Old 6th July 2022, 19:55   #117
SRM
BHPian

Wanted to vote for Petrol/Diesel. Have only used Petrol all my life, but voted for Diesel as my next purchase most probably 2-3 years down the line will be an SUV and SUV's are mostly best in Diesel.

It may well be my last ICE car as I tend to keep my cars for 6-7 yrs. Hopefully by then the EV ecosystem would have evolved and there'll be more options in EV. And will accordingly take a call at that time.
Old 6th July 2022, 20:57   #118

Can't vote yet.

I am planning add a pre owned ford endeavour(3.2), hence a diesel for me.
Currently own a 2013 Octavia 1.4TSI for occassional office commute and other errands.
Old 6th July 2022, 21:37   #119
BHPian

It's interesting how many T-BHPians have mentioned range anxiety. I agree, this is the single most limiting factor for many of us.

For those of us that are Long Distance Drivers (LDDs), India simply does not have the infrastructure to support us right now. I've read other threads on T-BHP where some of our EV driving members have driven somewhat across the country, but that too required meticulous planning to ensure that every stop they had would have an EV charging point.

Can you imagine trying to take a full EV outside a major metro, let alone a roadtrip to Ladakh?

I voted for a PHEV since it takes the advantages of being environmentally cleaner to the extent that our cars can be clean (for now). Hopefully, there will be a time when LDDs wont have to choose between petroleum cars and fully electric ones.
arjyamaj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th July 2022, 17:36   #120
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjyamaj View Post

Can you imagine trying to take a full EV outside a major metro, let alone a roadtrip to Ladakh?
Already possible between all major southern cities like Bangalore, Chennai, Pondicherry, Thiruvananthapuram, Cochin, Madurai and Trichy. This is using only the Zeon fast charger network. When you start considering other networks like Tata Power, it only expands the coverage. This will not be a South India only phenomenon, the cost of a DC fast charger is less than Rs 1 lakh and is not that hard to install, I expect to see EV Road trips between all metros of India to be possible within 2 years

I have an EV booked because I anticipate extensive highway trips within South India for the next few years. The cost savings add up very fast along with the intangible pleasure of driving an EV.
shyampsunder is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks