Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 4th February 2009, 18:24   #46
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amtak View Post
I have a question here! Is the Getaway available only in this color? I have never seen it in any other color.

Edit: Just noticed the rear bumpers. Looks like the same style is being used in the "new" facelifted scorpio with some minor changes to suit the Scorpio rear.. However, this bumper was there for a long time.
nopes, there is one in red near my house. looks impressive to me as he has fitted 4 fogs in the roof & nice offset chrome alloys and the works.

i have seen in black too.
Old 4th February 2009, 18:25   #47
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
nopes, there is one in red near my house. looks impressive to me as he has fitted 4 fogs in the roof & nice offset chrome alloys and the works.

i have seen in black too.
Just a reminder.
Any light above the headlight is illegal.
Old 4th February 2009, 18:53   #48
Senior - BHPian

a big overhang at the rear of the getaway, thats too big!

compared to what is exported of getaway.....we in india dont get that our money's worth out of this getaway!

anyway would like to see how getaway breaks into bolero happy punjab state!
Old 4th February 2009, 19:12   #49
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parm View Post
anyway would like to see how getaway breaks into bolero happy punjab state!
Living in the heartland of Punjab, I can confirm that "Getaway" isn't finding many(actually ~ none) takers in Punjab.
Till now I've been able to spot only a couple in Chd., Ldh., Jal., Asr. Overall its hard to come by!
Old 4th February 2009, 19:43   #50
Senior - BHPian

I find it ugly.... ungainly looks. Tata Xenon looks a whole lot better and classier.
Old 4th February 2009, 20:12   #51
Senior - BHPian

Hi,

Quote:
Originally Posted by amtak View Post
I have a question here! Is the Getaway available only in this color? I have never seen it in any other color.
How about this one? This was in Munnar, April 2008.

Mahindra launches Scorpio Getaway 4X4 double cab-dsc00304_small.jpg
Old 4th February 2009, 20:22   #52
BANNED

IMO Getaway is unable to find takers, as:
-Priorities are still people ferrying/hauling.
-No one wants to spend so much on a pick up.
-Looks with rear overhangs are a put off.
-Fuel Efficiency is poor.
There could be other reasons too, but these are all that I could think off.
But I still feel that a serious attempt at Pick ups with a good product, can turn the tables in no time, in other words, we need a company which could imitate Honda to break in a new segment.
Old 4th February 2009, 20:57   #53
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

One of the issues with the Getaway is that the pick up bed seems to have been added as an afterthought. If you carry any loads the rear is going to bog down and it will affect driving dynamics. If you look at the xenon the rear wheel placement under the load bed has been designed to spread the load evenly over the axles.
Old 4th February 2009, 21:49   #54
Senior - BHPian

This is a nice vehicle but not good vehicle..it does everything well nothing good. the ride is a bit bouncy on rough roads, not something one wants for a 8 lacs. Plus the design is a bit ugly for a pickup[pick ups should be big,and should have presence on road], Also the bed shows that it is an after thought. And when loaded it's a bit scary handler, most of the load is behind the rear axle, tried to drive it loaded , did not like it a bit.Off roading capability is also affected due to the overhang,and I am not talking about off road event track, this on the road to farms where the Camper/207DI are better than this.

Last edited by dinar : 4th February 2009 at 21:56.
Old 4th February 2009, 23:59   #55
rippergeo

Isnt the getaway cheaper than the base version scorpio? I thought that should help it sell.the wheelbase remains the same right?

Old 5th February 2009, 00:15   #56
Senior - BHPian

Incorporation of the Scorpio rear door on this double cab pickup actually dictates the design of the vehicle from the front door rearwards.

The second row seat position determines the rear wall of the cab, rather than the second set of doors. Even the wheel-arch curve on the rear door is completely unncessary as the rear axle itself is pushed further back with respect to where it is in the scorpio. However as I said, the decision to use the scorpio rear door got more priority over every other aesthetic considerations. The TL in its current form (not even the Xenon) looks far more an integrated design.

This vehicle looks really ugly and out of proportion when seen in the flesh. Few might suggest that it has a macho appeal, but then, I dont see it in this particular "lifestyle" product.

Last edited by 1100D : 5th February 2009 at 00:17.
Old 5th February 2009, 00:51   #57
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1100D View Post
Incorporation of the Scorpio rear door on this double cab pickup actually dictates the design of the vehicle from the front door rearwards.

The second row seat position determines the rear wall of the cab, rather than the second set of doors. Even the wheel-arch curve on the rear door is completely unncessary as the rear axle itself is pushed further back with respect to where it is in the scorpio. However as I said, the decision to use the scorpio rear door got more priority over every other aesthetic considerations.

This vehicle looks really ugly and out of proportion when seen in the flesh. Few might suggest that it has a macho appeal, but then, I dont see it in this particular "lifestyle" product.

Couldnt agree with you more. Nice concept but poor execution.
Sometimes I wonder who are the people taking these calls with such large sums of monies involved behind these projects? - I dont mean to start an argument here....but!
Old 5th February 2009, 00:54   #58
Senior - BHPian

Did a little photoshopping. Mainly with the rear door and the top panel covering the C-pillar. The load bay is made flush with the body.

The Panel covering the C-pillar encloses the grab bar in the load bay and what I cannot show in this snap is the position of the rear windscreen which remains unchanged, inspite of the c-pillar panel suggesting a raked rear screen, it can actually remain at the same location.

But then this is just for fun though!

Mahindra launches Scorpio Getaway 4X4 double cab-dsc00304_small-copy.jpg

Last edited by 1100D : 5th February 2009 at 00:55.
Old 5th February 2009, 01:09   #59
BHPian

Quote:
The load bay is made flush with the body.
I think the reason load bay is not flush with the body is to allow the loading area flex room when carrying heavy loads over bumpy roads. This ensures that the ride doesn't become bumpy for the passengers. Without a seperation like that, the whole body flexes on rough roads. This was one of the main criticism of Toyota Tundra's in the US. Ford released a video of the same on youtube.
Old 5th February 2009, 03:15   #60
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Did a little photoshopping. Mainly with the rear door and the top panel covering the C-pillar. The load bay is made flush with the body.
This one looks much better but still this vehicle is ugly IMO. Morover the load bay has to be seperated from the passenger cabin to let the load bay flex under load on roads where one of the rear wheels hits a pothole. Without this the entire body will flex.

Most Viewed