Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th January 2008, 21:34   #226
Senior - BHPian

Brilliant!! Tata has officially flushed conventional notions about the economics of car making as we know it today, down the drain.

Those wheel wells give me a lot of hope...looks like a decent set of 10" wheels should fit in there. I'm looking for the classic mini-lite look. Like this:

http://www.asahi-net.or.jp/~ZQ5M-SKT/whminiliteduo.JPG

Can someone please do a photoshop of the nano with this style of wheels...please?

Last edited by ananthkamath : 11th January 2008 at 21:39.
Old 11th January 2008, 21:45   #227
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by urvava View Post
2 years back when i was thinking of buying a Hatch Back- My Girl Friend Echoed a Resounding "NO" to Tata Indica as it is a TAXiiiiiiii.. (No Offence here..)
Wonder wa will happen to NANO.. or "NANO CAB"
That's pretty dumb (no offence here). Abroad, Corollas, Camrys, Vectras, even Mercs are used as cabs. Should we stop buying them? Buy a car based on its own merits, not based on who else drives it.
Old 11th January 2008, 22:10   #228
BHPian

This thread has to be merged with another.
Old 11th January 2008, 22:15   #229
Team-BHP Support

With some basic mods, the car would really look good, and still cost less than the M800. Cool!
Old 12th January 2008, 12:37   #230
Distinguished - BHPian

Tushky please reduce the size of the pics.
Old 12th January 2008, 19:49   #231
Senior - BHPian

Barkha Dutt says:
Quote:
Small towns, big dreams and the beginning of the end of an India shaped only by the privileged few — that is the real story of the Nano.
The full article here.
Old 12th January 2008, 20:56   #232
BHPian

Ratan Tata answers the traffic /chaos question himself in a interview to ET

Q: There has been some criticism that this car is going to choke the already congested roads in cities. Do you think that is an elitist criticism?

Yeah, I asked myself. We produced about 7 million two wheelers earlier. Today, we almost have about 60-70 million two to three wheelers in the country. We produced about 1.4 million cars and at some point we will exceed 2 million. Nobody said anything about that. It only happens to be this car that is being targeted. You may say well OK the two wheeler takes lesser space.

Our car pollutes if not less, then certainly not more than a two wheeler and I am not talking per passenger but as a vehicle. We conform to Euro IV in terms of our engine. Today Bharat III is required, we conform to Bharat III. All scooters and two wheelers are Bharat II today, not that they are not conforming, but that's what their standard is. So, all I want to say is that yes you may take a view that this small car will take less space than a large car.

Yes, you may say that this car will carry four people instead of the normal two on a scooter and therefore you will have if, filled in with four people, you will have less on the road than two scooters. More of immediate concern, for anyone that drives a car, is that today two or three wheelers have become a little more of a menace on the road than a car has become because of their ability to weave in and out.

And it makes an assumption that a small car will not replace a bigger car. It just looks at it as an increment. You produce two million cars, you produce half-a-million Tata cars, you produce 2.5 million cars. That's not quite the way it is going to work. We will cannibalise some of the existing low-end cars or cannibalise some of the existing two wheelers. Some of the cannibalisation will be of our own product and Indica is also going to feel the effects of this. So, it will not be that it will just sit on top of everything and there won't be a square inch of space on the road or anything of this nature.

Secondly, we are looking at congestion in major cities. Have we drafted a form of affordable form of family transport for people in tier II or tier III cities. Is it their lot not to have it? Is it a sin to try to give it to them? Does it necessarily mean that the small car is only congesting the city roads in the major cities and that nothing is being done in the urban areas. Yes, we have high teledensity in the urban areas, we haven't done enough in the rural areas, but there is huge potential if rural India gets connected and the same is going to be true with transport.
Old 12th January 2008, 23:17   #233
Senior - BHPian

I have been thinking for a long time about certain aspects of the 1 Lac car. What does this mean to the market. This is my way things might work out.
1. The nano might become a second car. Something that the family can use to run errands within the city / colony. college kids might find it trendy, and parents might gift this as presents.
However, since this IS being touted as a poor mans car... why woould someone who wants to move "up" the ladder buy something associated with this image?
If this clicks, then it will do wonders for TATA, but then again, where is the space? the bike has a mch smaller foot print, and the average bike purchaser will think many times before actually buying something like this. Firstly - consumption (there will be an average 3.5 time monthly increase in fuel consumption). secondly - maintainance- There will be much higher costs associated with a car.
Yes, people might buy this as the first car, and then use this for weekend travel and special occassions.
but then again - they might not.
These are just my ideas / opinions.
Old 13th January 2008, 02:01   #234
Senior - BHPian

Was just looking through the few dozen pics I had taken at the Expo, and hell our little scoop of a few months back was pretty much on the spot!!!

@#1#

Last edited by Steeroid : 13th January 2008 at 02:04.
Old 13th January 2008, 02:23   #235
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
Was just looking through the few dozen pics I had taken at the Expo, and hell our little scoop of a few months back was pretty much on the spot!!!

@#1#
Nano was a greatly guarded secret.
Its amazing you could get such a great scoop picture
Old 13th January 2008, 02:35   #236
Team-BHP Support

In fact there is an article in yesterday's TOI on Pakistan's Sitara (habib motors). There the MD or some such guy insisted that he saw this car month's back in some scoppe photo or something similar. Although TOI was loath to believe that I felt there is some truth. The guy insisted that he saw that car in a blue color. I think we did have another pic on this board which was again close to this final look and it was blue in color. Probably the guy saw it here. Or maybe somewhere else. Also, there is another post where it is mentioned that sometime in december someone from delhi booked the url Tata 'NANO' - The People's Car from Tata Motors. This was later on purchased back by Tatas at some cost. so maybe inspite of all the secrecy the news did leak out afterall.

Last edited by Zappo : 13th January 2008 at 02:38.
Old 13th January 2008, 14:39   #237
BHPian

Quote:
Can't agree any more with this. Assuming that your picture is from 2 years back, the Nano has evolved impressively.
Old 13th January 2008, 15:06   #238
BHPian

Thanks a lot, Steeroid!
Old 14th January 2008, 00:49   #239
BHPian

Nano launch presentation by Mr Ratan Tata
Tata Motors Unveils Nano, the "People's Car" - VIDEO ENHANCED
Old 14th January 2008, 14:52   #240
GTO
Team-BHP Support

You know what will create the real impact? A 2 - 3 year old Tata Nano at 70,000. Or a 4 year old Nano at 50,000? If Tata can make the Nano durable enough to last a healthy 5 - 7 years, it will create a riot in the used car market.

Even if they dont, our "jugad" champions will ensure that a 2008 Nano is still running in 2028.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks