Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th November 2022, 21:37   #16
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)
Re: What is the best car-garage combo in a country like India

I will count myself extremely lucky to have achieved a garage of some of the vehicles which Ive always loved and wanted and which I can actually drive about in at long last.

1.The little red Mini Cooper.
2.Soft top Maruti Gypsy King Mpfi in Harvest Green.
3.Hardtop Mahindra Thar AT.
As the only driver in this house, it is not necessary to have all these vehicles but as a car nut, I am happy that I have them.

This combo of vehicles makes for my ideal daily use garage right now.

If I were to dream some more and dream bigger as well, then, as of this moment, there are a few specific vehicles, any one or two of which I would like to achieve, some day, sitting right here in India.

1. Porsche Boxster convertible OR Porsche 911 Carrera 4S
2. Jeep Wrangler Rubicon OR Jeep Wrangler Willys Sport 3 Door.
3. Landrover new Defender

The combo of one Porsche and one Jeep Wrangler OR Landrover new Defender would happily make for my perfect daily use dream garage in future.

I shall be very happy to buy and own the above from the ‘used’ market some day. I am not really fixated on brand new and all.

Then, since we are in dreamland right now, I would love to have a few Classics too, modern and otherwise;

Mercedes SLK Convertible
Mercedes W123
Mercedes W124
Alfa Romeo Giulietta 1961 convertible (Day of the Jackal car)
Alfa Romeo GTA 1300
Aston Martin DB5
Porsche 356
Lamborghini Miura
Lotus Esprit Turbo
Lancia Fulvia
Lancia Delta Integrale
Renault 5 Turbo
Landrover Defender (1990’s)
Willys Jeep 1942 WW2
Range Rover (1980’ s)
Jensen Interceptor
Ferrari 512BB
Ferrari 308 GTS
Ford Mustang Fastback (Bullitt)

Last edited by shankar.balan : 14th November 2022 at 21:52.
shankar.balan is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 14th November 2022, 22:24   #17
BHPian

This thread is getting somewhere where no other thread has gone.

While we are at that level, achievable spend would be Audi BMW Entry level Merc

Money not a constraint would be any CBU or single import like Porsche Lamborghini Tesla Hummer Aston Martin

Last edited by Aditya : 15th November 2022 at 10:47. Reason: Opening post edited
echo77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th November 2022, 22:24   #18
BHPian

The only 2 cars that I wish to add right now to my garage are - Polo TSI AT or a Mahindra Thar Petrol Hardtop AT. Apart from that I am content with my current steed as of now. Creta 1.6 P is my dad’s, Sonet 1.0 Petrol AT is mine and Tata Punch which is wife’s. Sonet with its punchy engine has enough power on tap always and doesnt disappointment. Since from this year onwards, we all have our personal cars ( we were sharing cars since last year ). I think its finally time for me to get myself a low slung sedan or hatch or a Thar maybe when time comes.

Apart from that my ultimate dream garage will always be - a Mini Cooper JCW and a Skoda Superb/Octavia ( humble dreams )

Last edited by speedfreak01 : 14th November 2022 at 22:26.
speedfreak01 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th November 2022, 09:09   #19
BHPian

Apologies for the ambiguity in my thread. Well, just to clarify, the catch here is that the garage should have the lowest number of cars possible to cover the entire country, irrespective of the terrain, use case, and time of the year.

For eg - If my garage only consists of sedans (or) 4*2 (or) the likes of Cayenne's/Urus'/X5's, I am only limited to on-road/soft-road usage. Not the typical off-road, no-road, monsoon drives/visits. Similarly, if my garage only consists of luxury/expensive brands, then a daily city-friendly abusive driver is limited.

Last edited by Livnletcarsliv : 15th November 2022 at 09:14.
Livnletcarsliv is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th November 2022, 09:34   #20
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livnletcarsliv View Post
Apologies for the ambiguity in my thread. Well, just to clarify, the catch here is that the garage should have the lowest number of cars possible to cover the entire country, irrespective of the terrain, use case, and time of the year.

For eg - If my garage only consists of sedans (or) 4*2 (or) the likes of Cayenne's/Urus'/X5's, I am only limited to on-road/soft-road usage. Not the typical off-road, no-road, monsoon drives/visits. Similarly, if my garage only consists of luxury/expensive brands, then a daily city-friendly abusive driver is limited.
If this is true then the only vehicle I need in my garage right now is my Mahindra Thar. (And maybe my Gypsy as the backup vehicle for when the Thar goes for servicing.)
shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th November 2022, 09:48   #21
Senior - BHPian

Well for the well healed class, where there is plenty of parking space, my mix would be :

1. Alto K10 or equivalent for short runs - market or other errands with less tan 3km each way. Primarily used by household help.

2. Innova with a driver for most of the travels in and around the city.

3. Fortuner 4x4 or Endeavour 4x4 or any other import 4x4 with high wading depth for both rainy season as well as for personal use.

Futher up the ladder you can always go for S Class, Mayback or a Rolls, depending on your preference. Even a G Class if you like it.

For those with limited budget and/or who have no parking space and have to park on the road, Alto/i10/Nexon at the lower end and a City/Creta/Ciaz at the higher end is ideal mix. These cars are aesy to maintain and a good resale value.
Aroy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th November 2022, 10:19   #22
BHPian

For achievable scenario - Kodiaq plus Venue/Sonet
For the dreamland scenario - Ghost black badge, LC300, Vogue, Vellfire, S class and 911 turbo s
SShandilya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th November 2022, 10:53   #23
Team-BHP Support

Mod Note : The opening post of this thread has been edited and the categories have been redefined. Kindly refrain from discussions on the class of people according to their purchasing power.
Old 15th November 2022, 11:18   #24
BHPian

Well, history repeats itself :

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...0-1-crore.html (What is your ideal three car garage under ₹1,00,00,000 (1 Crore)?)

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...-budget-2.html (The ideal two-car garage on a budget)

Nevertheless, I think a reliable, fuss-free beater and one performance car(budget limited) with its share of gremlins, is what suits most people.
lapis_lazuli is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th November 2022, 11:22   #25
BHPian

1. Achievable spend (hopefully) one day - say around 50-60L for the entire garage

Skoda superb L&K and i20 N line(dct).

2. Wealthy enough that money is not a constraint to buy any car(s)

Maybach S-class, Land Rover Range Rover, Mini cooper.
Old 15th November 2022, 12:25   #26
BHPian

I’ll take pride in answering this one. A perfect combination will be a reliable beater and a reliable sports car.
BMW 330i
Maruti Swift

Both are fun to drive. I take the 330i out in the happy hours 😝. For everything else, there is the Swift.
Old 15th November 2022, 12:40   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanjayW View Post

Skoda superb L&K and i20 N line(dct).
Maybach S-class, Land Rover Range Rover, Mini cooper.
In your achievable case, what about the daily driver, off-road/no-road/monsoon/people mover use?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NirDiwakar View Post
BMW 330i
Maruti Swift
What about off-road/no-road/monsoon/people mover/comfort-focussed use?
Old 15th November 2022, 12:54   #28
BHPian

Hyundai I20 - the beater car
Honda City - the city car
Tata Safari - the people mover and highway cruiser

If money were no object...
Tata Harrier - the beater car
Lexus LS - the comfort city car
Toyota Land Cruiser - the people mover and highway cruiser
Safari Persona is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th November 2022, 13:13   #29
BHPian

Quote:
What about off-road/no-road/monsoon/people mover/comfort-focussed use?
How many times does an average Indian car driver, drive through the fields or streams? If I have to, I'll leave it to the ones experienced in that (hire a capable SUV and driver). Four people can travel with ease in short city commutes in a Swift. 3 series for all cross country roads.

Last edited by NirDiwakar : 15th November 2022 at 13:14. Reason: HTML tag for quote was missing.
NirDiwakar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th November 2022, 13:22   #30
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by NirDiwakar View Post
How many times does an average Indian car driver, drive through the fields or streams? If I have to, I'll leave it to the ones experienced in that (hire a capable SUV and driver). Four people can travel with ease in short city commutes in a Swift. 3 series for all cross country roads.
End of the day most of us here live in India and are talking in this context. Some of our cities and towns are definitely prone to flooding. And landslides and heavy rain, snowfall and other such natural and human-induced occurrences.

Remember Bangalore’s situation in the September 2022 rains?
If not, please take a look here;

So the original concept of the thread was that if one were to wish to remain minimal and yet have the ideal all purpose vehicle (s) in one’s garage, then which would it be.
shankar.balan is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks