Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd February 2009, 14:02   #91
Senior - BHPian

Somewhere around 94-95 Dilip Chabaria created a Standard 2000 Convertible,the nose job was very much on the lines of Daytona...
Got a pic from my school days scrapbook..
Attached Thumbnails
The story of the Standard 2000. 1985-1988-2000conv-600-x-550.jpg  

Old 23rd February 2009, 14:18   #92
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by agspins View Post
Somewhere around 94-95 Dilip Chabaria created a Standard 2000 Convertible,the nose job was very much on the lines of Daytona...
I remember his pic!! This is taken from an Auto India Mag, from 1995(?), i think Its the same issue that featured a contessa limo too. (Can be seen in the background)
Old 23rd February 2009, 14:27   #93
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I remember his pic!! This is taken from an Auto India Mag, from 1995(?), i think Its the same issue that featured a contessa limo too. (Can be seen in the background)
Yep JayD its from the Auto India issue from 95..IIRC the issue that featured contessa limo and a ALL motorhome was different..
Old 23rd February 2009, 17:07   #94
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by agspins View Post
This wasn't a DC job. IIRC, it was a Mr. Manvendra.
Old 23rd February 2009, 17:35   #95
Distinguished - BHPian

Fortunatly, we were proud owners of this car. Infact, i might have not been on this board typing this message if I did not have the Standard 2000 when I was a toodler, this car started my love for cars. I think my dad bought it in 1988 when I was barely 3, I obviously don't remember the day it came in but I clearly remember sitting on my dads lap steering that ship with ease due to the power steering.
The car always grabbed attension, first due to it's exclusivity and towards the end of it's life due to break downs. Spares were a big pain and eventually it was the worest fate- the scrap yard. I sat by my window while the scrap guy towed the car away(even though it was in working condition) and I think i shed a tear while it went into the Horizon.
I was too young back then, if I was older, I would have defiantly retained the car and restored it back to it's glory. Sorry about the Nostalgic BS, this car has/had a special place in my heart always.
Sahil is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2009, 17:38   #96
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
This wasn't a DC job. IIRC, it was a Mr. Manvendra
Possible.. i remember as soon as cut the pic,darkened the person standing next to the car,ont know why..
Old 23rd February 2009, 22:05   #97
Senior - BHPian

The meter panels and dashboard remind me of the De Lorean, I am sure the Standard 2000 is already very collectible with certain sections of the community. The Rover SD1 has officialy gotten classic status of late in the UK.
Old 23rd February 2009, 22:22   #98
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by the mole View Post
The meter panels and dashboard remind me of the De Lorean, I am sure the Standard 2000 is already very collectible with certain sections of the community. The Rover SD1 has officialy gotten classic status of late in the UK.
Its also featured in some worldwide lists of the 100 Best Cars ever made in the world.
Old 24th February 2009, 13:54   #99

This car was done by Mr.manvendra Singh of Barwani,Indore. He is an authority on vintage and classic cars. he did the Standard 2000 on the same lines of Ferrari Daytona. The original Rover 2000 was also inspired b y the Daytona.The man posing next to the car is Mr. Manvendra Singh.

Mr. Singh also did the Ambassdor Avigo(Retro like the Mini)
Old 24th February 2009, 16:32   #100
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post
I had the fortune of owning a Standard 2000. It was preowned.
Yes the car was sluggish with its original engine. In England it also came with a 3.5ltr(or was it 3.0ltr?) Rover V8 which was the police special. There was one white specimen in India too.

Most cars were fitted with a diesel and later junked. There were some left, i wonder if they run anymore.
Some useless observations from me.
The Standard 2000 was actually one of the first cars meant for higher end company executives and surely had the looks. So they opened the bookings, I think the deposit was Rs 50000/-. On the first day the premium for an allotment letter was another 50K or so, within a week it was at par and thereafter no one was willing to take such an allotment letter. There are many to whom the company still owes a refund.
I know many who had purchased this car and all know what happened, brilliant car and hopelessly unsuited engine. So these cars were soon in the 2nd hand market.
In UK, the original and best car was a V8, but they also had 2600, 2300 and 2000cc engined cars.
In Mumbai we had 2 original UK Rovers that I know of, one was a V8 dirty green colour MAR registered which was broken down in Chor Bazar. The second was white, 4CC consulate car, either 2600 or 2300cc in which unfortunately the British consul was shot dead between Regal cinema and Band stand.
Last I heard is that the Rover club in UK has purchased all the spares from the factory and taken them back. If I remember correctly, the tooling for the body parts had also come to India, what has happened to them?
Old 24th February 2009, 16:43   #101
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
On the first day the premium for an allotment letter was another 50K or so, within a week it was at par and thereafter no one was willing to take such an allotment letter. There are many to whom the company still owes a refund.

Last I heard is that the Rover club in UK has purchased all the spares from the factory and taken them back. If I remember correctly, the tooling for the body parts had also come to India, what has happened to them?
My uncle is still awaiting his refund. Unfortunately booked one of the first car in Pune.

The Rimmers Bros had purchased the whole lot of spares from Madras and taken to the UK. They are suppliers, I doubt they are part of the Club. They do proudly and boldy state now that every single part you could require will be available for a lifetime - they really must have taken a horde of spares. Every parts supplier I spoke to in Opera House and other places all said the company owed them sizable amounts. A couple of them even took Rimmers Bros contact details from me to try and offload the stock they had left over.

I dont know about tooling, but many panels and unassembled cars were taken. When the property in Madras was auctioned (recently) 2-3 rare prototypes were simply destroyed, a crying shame. One of them was the 2 door "Stanmobile" prototype made for the Governments small car program, based on the Standard 10. It was quickly forgotten, and I was fortunate enough to lay my hands on a genuine factory photo of the same. How ironic, I had to purchase it from the UK!
Old 24th February 2009, 17:10   #102
BHPian

I wonder where that red converted S2000 has gone to?or is it still with Mr.Manvendra.Many on board the forum wanted to modify the car to make it looklike the Ferrari daytona, hence i wonder how the executed car looked like from the side and rear.
Anybody spotted this car anywhere?
Old 24th February 2009, 18:36   #103
Senior - BHPian

Harit recal the 2 Rovers, the green one was owned by the famous film magezine publisher and movie maker. I recall seeing a white car with regular registration having the orignal vitesse front lip spoiler (made the car look hot) was it the same UK consulate this one had chocolate brown interior (84 or 85 model). Curious why was the british council shot dead in Mumbai!! sounds like russian spy stuff, our very own underworld special or 007
Old 6th June 2009, 22:08   #104
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Are you interested in purchases from other states ? and would you mind if it comes with a Isuzu 1800 cc petrol engine/gearbox plonked in, instead of Standard engine?

I can check if you area ok with the above.
Hi Jaggu I have a friend who is a interior designor I know he had one in maybe year 1994 or so it was in just working condition with almost all goodies some replaced by Fiat,Ambassador components and he had replaced the engine with Allwyan Nissan tempo diesel engine. Do you know that he actually puchased a second hand Allwyn Nissan tempo,removed the enging and gearbox and after fixing it in the car sold the rest of the tempo body in scrap. Engine after installation ran good for two to three thausand kms he used to carry wood ,floor tiles,cement bags,sometimes sand bags,plumbing pipes, also his workers in the car,then one day a connecting rod broke, the connecting rod was not available in the market, he looked around for almost two months without results then he brought a second hand engine from scrap shop and removed the connecting rod and other components and sold the rest of the second engine in scrap. Car ran good for eight months suddenly one night it caught fire and was gutted completely AT LAST HE SOLD IT IN SCRAP as the insurance was third party. Now he has a Maruti Esteem with a Matador or I dont know which diesel engine with original petrol engine in exelent condition lying in his office or godown.BOSS you have such characters,it is right they saY PAANCH UNGLI EK BARABAR NAHIN HOTI HAI.
Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
Yes directinjection, let me get the facts right. The original HM Contessa that was launched in 1984, costing Rs 1,10000 on road in Maharashtra, came with the BMC 1489 cc Ambassador engine with the 4-speed floor shift gear box. It was only in 1987 that the ISZ 1817cc petrol engine came along and the Contessa was rechristened Contessa Classic.In fact, I have driven both these versions.By 1987, the prices were up touching Rs 145,000=00.
Dear ANJAN I came to know in those days itself that the BMC engines given in Amby were brought by HM in scrap from London brought to India and o/h completely with new spares etc and them fixed on new cars. This engine used to make a peculiare whining sound when accelerated, it was very popular with Mumbai-Pune taxi service group, later they too got fed up of perpetual repaies and replaced them with diesel padminis.The old scrap engines given new life but did HM knew anything about METAL FATIGUE in engines Idont think so.

Note from the Team-BHP Support Team: Post Edited. Smilie usage is restricted to two per post on Team-BHP. Please refrain from using excessive smilies.

Please use the "edit" button if posting within 15 minutes of the first post, instead of creating another back-to-back post. Also use "Multi Quote" option for quoting Multiple posts.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 7th June 2009 at 11:16.
Old 15th June 2009, 12:05   #105
Senior - BHPian

was getting my car washed so came across these two beauties awaiting adoption,here are a few pics
not masking no plates since no one is interested in them
wish i had time and resources for them
Attached Thumbnails
The story of the Standard 2000. 1985-1988-dsc01324.jpg  

The story of the Standard 2000. 1985-1988-dsc01325.jpg  

The story of the Standard 2000. 1985-1988-dsc01326.jpg  

The story of the Standard 2000. 1985-1988-dsc01321.jpg  

The story of the Standard 2000. 1985-1988-dsc01322.jpg  

The story of the Standard 2000. 1985-1988-dsc01327.jpg  

akshay4587 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com