Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th April 2023, 04:27   #61
BHPian

Re: Fun to drive, yet Fuel efficient cars of past and present

The definition of Fun to Drive for me would be undoubtedly, the Octavia TDI DSG. The car at present is running on a stage 2 ECU+TCU from Wolf Moto Performance. The car is insanely torquey, fast and does the triple digits speeds like it’s nothing, even more aggressively than its petrol counterparts. The car doesn’t run out of breath and keeps pulling like a monster.

Even our Jetta TDI DSG, is one of a kind. The car is right mix of thrilling performance and a superior suspension setup, making it an enthusiast delight, even at stock form. I’m certain it won’t be stock for long

Our 3GT, with the 20d is also an excellent performer on the road, delivering great performance, making it a driver’s car even with the added weight and being a luxury/comfort based setup, it doesn’t lose out on its BMW DNA.

Finally, our 530d, the 3.0 diesel is the most insane diesel to ever exist imho, and also the most insane diesel I’ve ever driven. It’s an exhilarating car, and I just can’t put into words on the way the car keeps propelling ahead. And now the car isn’t stock anymore, will be writing a thread in a while, on the proper upgrades the car has undergone.
dieselhead01 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 20th April 2023, 06:49   #62
BHPian

Adding the First Linea Tjet 1.4 turbo petrol to the list of amazing cars listed previously. Fun to drive, no doubt and has consistently returned a mileage of 14 kmpl on highway drives. Being a turbo petrol bring light on the throttle helps immensely with no lag in performance.
Old 20th April 2023, 08:05   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
- Cheap (relatively), fun & fuel-efficient = Ignis! Am amazed at the kind of numbers being reported for this car in the sipper thread (Are you driving a fuel sipper? Share your miser's fuel efficiency numbers here). The Ignis MT is super fun to drive! Then, we also have Marutis like the Alto K10 & Swift.
I'm with you on the Ignis. The MT is such a fun to drive car and the best part is it will still return awesome fuel average even if driven hard.

The 2009 gen Petrol Ritz was also a super awesome car. The engine on that was even more peppier than the one on Ignis. But not as efficient.
Sheogarath is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th April 2023, 08:16   #64
BHPian

I had the first gen Vento 1.6D that used to return a healthy ~14kmpl in city and upwards of 20kmpl on the highways. And oh boy was it a hoot to drive!
My current drive is the SCross 1.3D and while it’s a supper and an enjoyable car, it’s not as fun as the Vento.
GreyNomad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th April 2023, 08:45   #65
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyNomad View Post
I had the first gen Vento 1.6D that used to return a healthy ~14kmpl in city and upwards of 20kmpl on the highways. And oh boy was it a hoot to drive!
My current drive is the SCross 1.3D and while it’s a supper and an enjoyable car, it’s not as fun as the Vento.
Yes! Thoroughly enjoying the 1.6 TDi. Have been taking it for long drives and haven't worried about fuel mileage despite my somewhat maniacal driving style. Driving to hometown from Bangalore (700kms) plus almost a week in town with one full tank is a blessing.
Mad Max is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th April 2023, 09:23   #66
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.AD View Post
I would say my current car, F30 BMW 320d is both fun to drive and fuel efficient. And while doing all this, it returns somewhere between 14km/l to 18km/l on my typical highway drives (and on a couple of occasions, I got more than 20km/l).
My 520D (G30 Pre LCI) also gives me a great average, the ex-factory average is 14.5 km/l. This is considering that most of my driving is between South Mumbai and Turbhe, Navi Mumbai.

On Mumbai - Pune runs, the car returns an average of 18 km/l on the way there and 21+ km/l on the return (down the ghats).
Attached Thumbnails
Fun to drive, yet Fuel efficient cars of past and present-d40e1728a3834f38ad2c6c93f9b9f219_1_105_c.jpeg  

Old 20th April 2023, 09:26   #67
BHPian

I posted this in the Fuel Sipper thread too and GTO mentioned this car too .

Scross 1.6 Diesel. Man that engine was one of its kind. I learnt the art of highway driving in that car. Of course, the first car of any person would be special, but this one is different.

Its like that Peaky Blinders quote
Tommy is different.

Fun to drive, yet Fuel efficient cars of past and present-img_20220522_122248.jpg

This was the mileage after cruising at 130 in the highway. I know this may not be the best numbers achieved by the 1.6 gang

In the sixth gear, at 120 or 130, slightly pushing the accelerator makes it seem like the car is still in the 5th gear. Turbo lag is a bit intrusive but when it comes on, the rush is just immense.

That kind of power and that kind of mileage, comes once in a lifetime
shresan23 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th April 2023, 09:48   #68
BHPian

The Crysta 2.8z.

The average over the past year is 13 kmpl. That s a combination of Bangalore city driving, Ghat sections, bad sections, high-speed driving, fully loaded uphill drivings & drives just for an adrenalin rush (especially from signals & to escape from traffic clouds on the expressway)

If you drive aiming for fuel efficiency, the car will return you 16+. Isn't that awesome for a 7-seater with a torque convertor & 2800cc engine?
smasher is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th April 2023, 12:33   #69
RGK
Senior - BHPian

1st gen diesel Swift stands out and offers tremendous power within the power band while considering highway fuel efficiency as 18 kmpl & above.

If the engine rpm exceeds 2k, fuel efficiency varies greatly in vehicles like the Ecosport TDCi.
Old 20th April 2023, 12:35   #70
BHPian

I drive a stage 1 remapped Ford Figo 1.5 TDCi. The car is the definition of fun yet efficient.

On highways with a spirited driving style, it returns 19-20 kmpl. Toning it down to 100-120 kmph sees the figures jump north of 22 kmpl. Not only highways, but the 1.5 TDCi is also supremely efficient in the city, consistently returning upwards of 17 kmpl for the past 72,xxx kms.

All this with a sub-10-second 0-100 kmph time and a push back into the seat every time I pin the throttle. The combination of performance and efficiency is what makes it so tough to upgrade from this little hatch.
Vibhanshu0923 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th April 2023, 14:55   #71

How come no one has yet mentioned New Ford Fiesta 1.5 TDCi yet. It was such a fun car to drive with excellent driving dynamics and handling. I upgraded from a santro to this and joy I got for next 3 years that I drove it cannot be expressed in few words.
This car made me fall in love with sedan and made me choose honda city as next car in the world of CSUVs and SUVs.
As for economy, it is still most fuel-efficient car I ever drove. For all 40k odd kilometers it was driven in hills of himachal pradesh, fuel efficiency never dropped below 20 ever.
I have upgraded to honda city ivtec now, which is another gem of an engine having best of both words.
nsharma2104 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 20th April 2023, 18:27   #72
BHPian

Fords 1.5 tdci.
My stage 1+ remapped 2013 ecosport regularly goes a 1000+ kms before a fuel up. I have friends from over 6 years who get psyched because they've never seen me fuel her up, ever. (It's also because I stick to specific bunks)

I stopped driving with a light foot after the remap because it doesn't make a difference to the economy.

(Someone please help me find a worthy replacement for her )
Taha Mir is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th April 2023, 21:34   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.AD View Post
Well, both "fun to drive" and "fuel efficient" are subjective terms. There is no absolute definition of either.

However, with some subjectivity that is unavoidable, I would say my current car, F30 BMW 320d is both fun to drive and fuel efficient.

On fun to drive front, the car has all that I need - a low-slung RWD sedan with 50:50 weight distribution, a lovely steering, a fast and accurate ZF8 gearbox, and perfect ride and handling balance. The car is fun to drive on fast highways, hilly roads, sweeping corners (it loves cornering), and even on the scenic two-lane country roads.

And while doing all this, it returns somewhere between 14km/l to 18km/l on my typical highway drives (and on a couple of occasions, I got more than 20km/l). The car with a 2.0L diesel with 190hp and 400Nm, that I drive quite spiritedly, and yet returns such fuel efficiency numbers (and in the process gives a range of about 900km to 1000km) would be my entry in this thread.

Full support on this one. I have the same car. In city it gives nearly 15, and on highways, there are occasions with very good boi driving where it gives 20+. Massively surprising numbers actually
Old 21st April 2023, 01:29   #74
BHPian

Well, my current ride the Vista D90 turbo-diesel is no slouch when it comes to performance or mileage. For a car that weighs well over a ton, the acceleration is super once the turbo kicks in, and driving it at 3 digit speeds consistently still returns a decent mileage of over 17 kmpl.

The car is really fun to drive - the additional 15 horses and the 200 nm of torque makes up for the heavier build compared to its Fiat MJD 1.3 75 horses and 190 nm counterpart the Swift. Even then, the Swift is faster. However the Vista is much more stable at higher speeds and handles extremely well. It is a gem of a car, and I'm glad I bought it.

If I drop down the speed to between 70-80, the mileage on highway runs goes beyond 20. In the city also, the car gives a very creditable 14 kmpl. All mileage figures are based on tank full to tank full method of measurement.

Here are the numbers from my last road trip - this is for the return leg from Dalma in Jamshedpur to my home in Calcutta.

Fun to drive, yet Fuel efficient cars of past and present-whatsapp-image-20230421-1.19.05-am.jpeg
Neversaygbye is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st April 2023, 20:41   #75
BHPian

I am surprised to see no Cheetah owners here....! I am a satisfied XUV500 user here that returns 14kmpl with AC and is a hoot to drive in both city and highways. With the turbo kick pushing you into the seat with a smile everytime, this one really has the paws!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks