Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th April 2023, 14:45   #16
BHPian

Re: Fun to drive, yet Fuel efficient cars of past and present

This would mean Diesels basically. And I went for Kia Sonet purely because of the creamy D AT combination from Hyundai-Kia, so much fun to drive over anything in the segment (automatics) + pretty good fuel efficiency. I can get 15-17ish easily with several quick overtakes and sane speeds. And with highway cruising, it can go above 20.

Only electrics would be able to top diesels, but that isn't competing, so personally I would say Kia Sonet. My previous car (Amaze) was fairly decent to drive too, but it was a diesel manual and the NVH was pretty high. Fuel efficiency was pretty good though.
epiccross is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th April 2023, 08:57   #17

Renault Duster 85BHP Diesel. In my past seven years of driving i get 18+ kmpl and also fun to drive both highways and city.
TheRainmaster is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th April 2023, 09:39   #18
BHPian

No car , especially at the time emphasises it more than the face lifted 1st Gen Honda City 1.5 EXI (100hp) before the VTEC came an year later or so, that car was super fast, super efficient and super fun.

Also the Cruze when it came out being a diesel was decently efficient (poor by diesel standards) but still good and nothing pulled like that,150 hp plus the torque, throw in the features, it had features which even my G30 doesn’t have now. the tank like heaviness and it was a pure delight

In the present crop I’d say the 530i , on morning drives and highways 16-17 Kmpl is easy, yet with all the power if you want.

The 530d is also similar with even more torque, though the weight can be felt a little bit more.

Last edited by np23 : 19th April 2023 at 09:43.
Old 19th April 2023, 09:48   #19
Senior - BHPian

I would say any of the older maruti turbo diesels. The swift and even the ritz was so much fun to drive with the way the turbo would kick in. A shame what they have done to their newer cars.
Cresterk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th April 2023, 09:58   #20
BHPian

I have the good fortune of owning two of them.
The Ford Figo 1st gen 1.4Tdci was such a fun car to drive. Though not the quickest, it was a fantastic handler with the best steering feel I have had. Such a fun car. Average fuel efficiency never dropped below 16-17kmpl for me in the one and a half lakh kms that I drove in it.
The Octy 2Tdi. Thankfully, I bought one before VW shut out the diesels from their product range. While it is quick off the mark, the handling and steering feel though very good, however, is still not the same as my old Figo. Average fuel efficiency has again never dropped below 16kmpl.
Deep Blue is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th April 2023, 10:01   #21
BHPian

"Fun-to-drive" and "Fuel-efficient" = Alto K10 and Gen-1 Swift
The traffic light "pole-position" in an Alto-K10 is a situation I've always enjoyed Since I have AMT, on these occasions I switch to manual and shift away to glory. But it's so light that sometimes it feels the car will take off.
The Swift's chassis control, handling and driving dynamics on the other hand can put many bigger and expensive cars to shame.
Old 19th April 2023, 10:09   #22
BHPian

I would say, Altroz diesel is a very fuel efficient, and a fun to drive car. Almost every owner wants more power to make it more FTD.
Benoit is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th April 2023, 10:19   #23
BHPian

Personally I never owned a car which is frugal and fun to drive. I have a Polo GT TSI 1.2 2016 and a Scorpio 4wd 2016.

I have driven a first gen Swift diesel of my friend and it was super fun and fuel efficient too.

I am wondering why no one is mentioning the new Venue diesel MT, isn't this engine exciting enough with the updated power and torque figures? Would like to have insights of fellow bhpians in this engine.

Regards

Saubhik
Old 19th April 2023, 10:21   #24
BHPian

Polo 1.6 GT TDI
Even after upgrading turbo best fuel efficiency got it 22kmpl and worst 9kmpl.
More info
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modif...5-seconds.html (VW Polo GT TDI @ 190 BHP : 0 - 100 in 7.5 seconds)
Old 19th April 2023, 10:46   #25

Mercedes GLC 220d! More power than you'll ever practically need and enough torque to keep you smiling in any situation. The engine-gearbox combination is beautiful. Have regularly done Bombay-Pune-Bombay drives and gotten 24-26 kmpl. When driven hard, expect it to go down to 18-20 kmpl. The gearbox is a hoot to drive and when in sports mode, there's enough grunt for pretty much anything you throw at her.
fourwheels is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th April 2023, 11:00   #26
BHPian

For me Figo 1.5 TDCI will be one car that can handle both extremes of fun and fuel efficient very well. This is one car where one can have loads of fun and yet extract more than 15kmpl. To the other extreme if one decides to drive it for mileage, it will blow your mind with anything 23+ kmpl. During a trip to Mumbai from Noida I was able to see both sides of it and it was a pleasant surprise.
saurabh041086 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th April 2023, 11:09   #27
BANNED

Mod Note : Please do NOT post messages that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the quality of this forum.

We advise you to read the Forum Rules before proceeding any further. Request to post ONLY when you have something substantial to add to a discussion.

Last edited by GTO : 20th April 2023 at 08:55.
Old 19th April 2023, 11:38   #28
Senior - BHPian

My Octavia 2 TDI is insanely fun to drive and yet very fuel efficient too. It can do insane triple digit speeds all day long and still return 15+ kmpl, even with remapped engine and bigger and wider low profile tyres. The best I got in Octavia was 22kmpl for a 50 kms drive where I consistently drove between 100 to 120 kmph. City average is 14kmpl even with heavy traffic.
On the contrary my 2022 i20 IVT have returned 13kmpl as best case where the average in city is only 9kmpl, while it being least fun to drive.

Last edited by sunikkat : 19th April 2023 at 11:44.
sunikkat is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 19th April 2023, 12:03   #29
BHPian

Echo with all of them who think its the Ford Figo new gen 1.5 TDCI. Its regularly returns 20kmpl in mixed cycle while having that kick of 100hp and 215nm of torque.
jackofsome is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th April 2023, 12:15   #30
BHPian

I would rate the Peugeot 309D as the most fun to drive and fuel efficient vehicle I ever owned. Though not as punchy as most modern cars, handling and poise was superb.
maestro is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks