Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 6th June 2023, 14:27   #91
BHPian

Re: Honda's new SUV for India | EDIT: Named Elevate

Quote:
Originally Posted by John316_WRC View Post
What's wrong with looking butch, boxy and similar to the global Honda Pilot? Nothing I say!
Add to that a Honda with Jeep Compass vibes and the best NA engine in the segment. They definitely have got the styling on point. @Honda India, Price it right, launch the Hybrid asap, get the 1.0/1.5 Turbo, and see your cash registers ringing.

PS: The only sore point in the design is the tacky black fog lamps area. Body-colored ones would have looked better. Heck, they could have even referenced Seltos's ice-cube fog lamp integration with the front bumper.
kronos596 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 6th June 2023, 14:29   #92
BHPian

Conservatively styled, yes, but this looks like a winner from Honda. If they price it well, it would be a runaway success for people looking for a very butch looking, reliable, powerful, comfortable, tall SUV.
HartBandit is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th June 2023, 14:34   #93
Distinguished - BHPian

Agree with GTO entirely. While this product may have been exciting 4-5 years back, in the current times it lacks innovation and excitement. When most large players are thinking ahead of the curve with Hybrids (and have huge waiting periods), Honda is just sitting in the same old technology. This was not expected from Honda and they could have done much better! Heck even countries like Bangladesh and Pakistan get the the much more advanced Honda Vezel / HRV hybrids!
Launching the Elevate with an NA engine is probably just meant to keep the costs in check and garner some volumes. But this will not excite enthusiasts like us. Honda should have really launched the hybrid at a sub 20 price and that would have still changed the game.
Behemoth is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 6th June 2023, 14:35   #94
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yieldway17 View Post
Honda has never played the features game, even in the mature Western markets. All the features listed above are superficial at best except for 360 degree camera probably. A personal opinion, of course.
But Superficial is what sells in India. This isn’t west, this is India. Indians have different and unique aspirations in cars. Majority aaj junta in this segments keep panoramic roof, ventilated seats, 360 camera, dual screens, ventilated seats way over ‘basics’ that Elevate covers or even safety for that matter. Just visit Tbhps monthly sales figures and you will be pleasantly/rudely shocked that how much feature driven Korean SUVs and Maruti/Toyota twins sell over other basics covering (yet more equipped than Elevate) Kushaq and Taigun. In India, car covering basics is a flop especially in this segment). Nothing else, Nothing more.
No wonder a giant in US is not even a medium volume manufacturer in India. They need to get over their ‘basics covered’ hangover

Last edited by AMG1 : 6th June 2023 at 14:37.
AMG1 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 6th June 2023, 14:36   #95
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanket299 View Post
360 is a big omission. No branded sound system. Interior parts been carried everywhere.
To be fair, branded sound systems in <30L cars are mostly just a gimmick. They pay a licensing fee to use "sony, JBL, Bose etc" tuning and branding but the actual speakers themselves are poor quality, cheap units as revealed in many teardown videos.

But yeah the car is rather underwhelming. Front end is unique but the rear and sides look too much like Maruti's cheaper cars. 121hp is last gen diesel 1.6 Creta numbers.
Cresterk is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 6th June 2023, 14:38   #96

Ares101 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th June 2023, 14:47   #97

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Not offering the hybrid is inexplicable. When you are carrying a loaded gun in your arsenal, why the heck won't you take it out and fire? The Koreans offer more powerful turbo-petrols, the Koreans & Indians have turbo-diesels, Maruti-Toyota have hybrids with unbelievable FE...and Honda still believes its 1.5L NA motor is the best thing since sliced bread. Don't get me wrong, I am a huge fan of the 1.5L Vtec motor & relish revving it to 7000 rpm. But why there isn't a hybrid on offer from the City Hybrid (and a turbo-petrol) is perplexing. This is Honda being lazy & complacent.
I am also very disappointed by the lack of Hybrid option. Considering that Honda already offers hybrid powertrain option for the Honda City, it should not have been a problem for them to implement the same in the Elevate too.

What I think is that Honda is probably waiting for the Indian govt / Finance Ministry to provide tax concession or incentives for making (or importing) hybrid powertrains for their cars in India. Only with these incentives will Honda probably be able to make affordable (and profitable) Hybrid Cars in India. I heard that Honda along with Toyota and Suzuki are lobbying the Indian authorities for the same.
sprashanth1982 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th June 2023, 14:50   #98
BHPian

To be fair to Honda, if they have managed to get the interior space correct along with Mileage and pricing I guess other factors don't matter. Not all are enthusiasts like many of them in this forum. The best example would be the Amaze, I personally know a few owners who still swear by it because it offers the bare necessities (read cabin space) in a sub 4 meter segment, I know a person who drives the Amaze automatic and he was never aware of anything called rubber band effect of a CVT gearbox.

Something very critical for this car to click would be the pricing and cabin space, I am waiting for those details to be out.

PS: Personally I did not like the design.
puntra800 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 6th June 2023, 14:53   #99

Everyone has different views on the looks, but i quite like the exterior. A de-chromed elevate in white would look stunning.

The interiors have the best presentation in the segment, but since its Honda, not sure if it is going to be feature-rich.
Ruxh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th June 2023, 14:54   #100
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMG1 View Post
Honda launched a Nissan Magnite look alike! I so hope those are not 16 inchers in a segment full of 17 & 18 inch wheels! I am sure this one will be competing for 1500-2000 units pie piece with Vw twins with Astor as the least selling one in segment.
This was my first impression when I saw its pics. It is what a Magnite face lift would possibly be
Old 6th June 2023, 14:54   #101
BHPian

Some points from my end going by the pictures:

1) Auto-wipers and LED interior lights have been omitted. City has these features in its top most trim.

2) The co-passenger power window switches aren't illuminated. One-touch operation is exclusive for the drive side switch. Another miss which is present in City ZX.

3) The rear-middle passenger headrest isn't provided. Even a fixed headrest is absent. It's shocking because City and most of Elevate's rivals gets it.

4) Forget the 360 degree camera, even front parking sensors are absent.

5) Good to see a bigger infotainment screen with physical buttons. Hope, they've worked on its user interface.

6) Honda should've got different alloy design for this car. AFAIK, this design was first seen in the 2017 City facelift.

7) I don't see the buttons for ventilated front seats. The driver seat isn't power operated.

8) The HVAC setup is a downgrade in terms of design. Current gen City has classy looking dials with crisp lighting around the silhouette of these dials.

9) The dual tone, tan-black, interior theme is pleasing on eyes.

10) Hybrid variant should've been launched with the non-hybrid variant. It'd would've got them positive word-of-mouth publicity, thanks to its mileage. Without the diesel, turbo petrol engine and panoramic sunroof, there won't be many talking points about this car.

P.S.: As a 4th gen City owner myself, I hope Honda has done a better job with this car's NVH levels and suspension noise.
romil.shroff is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 6th June 2023, 14:55   #102
BHPian

They had many options available, but they decided to keep it simple, and it looks great. It bears a striking resemblance to the Nissan Magnite, or perhaps it's just my perception. Despite high expectations, they opted for a straightforward approach.
Old 6th June 2023, 14:55   #103
BHPian

As most pointed out, the design is underwhelming and is never going to be a head turner on the road. Its a mix of Punch, Seltos, Brezza designs we are so accustomed to. No Turbo petrol is really disappointing ( but expected ). Anyways market will react positively to Honda considering long term reliability even if design is boring and engine is sluggish.
Old 6th June 2023, 14:58   #104
Distinguished - BHPian

Except for the grille - I find the looks quite alright. At least - nothing awkward in their looks like many available options. Has a nice simple conventional "SUV" silhouette, thats pleasant to look at.

Interiors seem to be okay in the pictures too. Something different in all places compared to what we have now become too used-to in Honda India cabins. So alright here as well.

Its the engine specifications which were a bit of a let-down to me, but not a surprise at all. Always expected the same old 1.5 NA to find its way under this hood as well & it did. Maybe a hybrid here and there. But thats about it. It might be perfect to drive for everyone, and get all the jobs done with full reliability. But it appears rather oldschool as well as under-specced when compared with the other players in the segment and that might work quite a bit against the Elevate. Afterall, it has formidable opponents to fight it out with. Right from 1.0 to 1.4TGDI/1.5TSI engines, from MT to DCT/DSGs as well as TCATs. And - the still liked punchy turbo diesels with ATs that are a sheer joy to drive.

Overall - If I was shopping, one visit to the Honda showroom to check the Elevate out, will mostly convince me to go book a Seltos immediately without any doubts left. Afterall Seltos looks quite similar (better IMO) and has a laundry list of engine / transmission options, as well as features. And updates around the corners as well potentially.

Last edited by Reinhard : 6th June 2023 at 15:00.
Reinhard is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 6th June 2023, 14:58   #105
BHPian

I really like Honda Elevate and I believe it will do a lot better than the German twins although it will never reach Korean twins.

The butch look is perceptional, but the large audience will love it. The exterior dimensions are at par with the competition. The interior is good. Thank god the integrated unit implementation is good and doesn't look like an after market installation. I wish they included an Electronic parking brake. But I guess, we'll wait for the complete list of features.

Although the complete list of features is not out, if they even add comparable list with Maruti/Toyota twins, I believe Honda can expect 4k - 5k units per month.

I wish they introduce a hybrid sooner. I for one would book the hybrid version right away.
rAijin_ is offline   (3) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks