Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 25th July 2007, 11:39   #46
BHPian

If this is really the pricing, then we can expect to see a lot of Fiats on our roads in the future.

6.5L for Linea (base) sounds like the Ford Fiesta 1.4 territory. I am sure SX4, Aveo, Fiesta and NHC will have a tough challenge from a Fiat!

G Punto will be a success in most markets simply because of its looks. Coupled with a good package, this (IMHO) might turn out to be the most modded car (like the Lancer) in India!

We need great competition like this from every manufacturer. The quality of the cars will increase this way. The customer will be the ultimate winner.
Old 25th July 2007, 12:11   #47
Senior - BHPian

wow! if these are the pricings - then im getting a linea!
Old 25th July 2007, 12:17   #48
Senior - BHPian

Let the price be nething between 6L - 8 L... Linea is my next set of wheels.. Kudos to FIAT for such a nice car...
Old 25th July 2007, 12:33   #49
Senior - BHPian

I read this too. The MD of Fiat India has said that they were localising around 85% of engine components to make sure that they will be able to price Punto and Linea competitively. But he never indicated any price range. ACI has gone ahead and speculated that the prices are to range from 5 l for Punto and 6.5 l for Linea. If these indeed are the prices, then Fiat is spot on.

But, I have my doubts on Punto, because Fiat needs to work a little more on the bumpers to bring Punto in the small car range. This means that they might end up tampering with the present looks, which is the trump card of the car. I do not think they will be able to price it at 5 l if they do not bring it under the small car bracket. Linea's pricing looks fine and doable to me, but I am a little doubtful on Punto's pricing.

However, we need to see how the Brazilian Punto comes up. Apparently, there are some subtle differences between that and the European Punto, the main one being that the B Punto has larger boot volume as compared to E Punto. It will be very interesting to know how long the B Punto is. If it is under 4m mark, rest assured, Indian Punto will be exactly the same one as B Punto. Otherwise, it will be interesting to know what Fiat India does with the bumpers.

PS1: According to italiaspeed.com, Fiat Brazil is considering working on the Adventure model of Punto too.
PS2: I am in the market for cars next year

Last edited by deepakhon : 25th July 2007 at 12:35.
Old 25th July 2007, 12:51   #50
Senior - BHPian

The lenght of the Punto is 4030mm

Source : Wiki

Last edited by BUSA : 25th July 2007 at 12:52.
Old 25th July 2007, 13:02   #51
BHPian

Quote:
The MD of Fiat India has said that they were localising around 85% of engine components to make sure that they will be able to price Punto and Linea competitively
Hope the 85% localisation ,does not eat the real power and identity of FIAT'S solid engine...
Old 25th July 2007, 13:02   #52
Senior - BHPian

@BUSA: The pic you have posted is not the Brazilian Punto. It is that of the European Punto. The B Punto has blackened B Pillars aka Suzuki Swift and the new Skoda Fabia. Also, the fog lamp is a little different in shape. The E Punto is 4030 mm, no doubt, but I am interested to know about the length of B Punto.

To view the B Punto, visit the site ::ITALIASPEED::. It is there in one of the news items. But the article does not mention anything about the length.
Old 25th July 2007, 13:05   #53
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The MD of Fiat India has said that they were localising around 85% of engine components to make sure that they will be able to price Punto and Linea competitively. But he never indicated any price range.
I was just about to put that down. The prices are ACI estimates unless the Fiat MD said something off the record to them . The ACI price estimate is very simple. They benchmarked the Punto against the Swift and the Linea against the SX4 and came up with these prices. BUT, both the GP and Linea are far larger cars then the Swift and SX4. Still, 5 lacs for a base punto means the MJD 90bhp variant (hopefully!) should be at about 6.5 lacs on road?

I hope someone from Fiat India is going through this thread. The number of members saying they will buy these cars at these prices will give them a good target which they can work to achieve.

If the GP does come in at Rs. 5 lacs for base then what price point would Tata launch the Indica V3? I am guessing the Indica and Punto will be priced more or less at the same levels but the Indica's will have more features at those price levels.
Old 25th July 2007, 13:16   #54
Distinguished - BHPian

How much of salt should this information be taken with ?
Old 25th July 2007, 13:35   #55
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMAG View Post
How much of salt should this information be taken with ?
A bucketful should do I suppose.
Old 25th July 2007, 13:40   #56
Senior - BHPian

guys, the launch is still 1 year away. Too much will change by then.

A new Honda city, maybe a new Sx4 too and Linea will be probably one year old.
Old 25th July 2007, 13:46   #57
Team-BHP Support

5 Lakh(ex showroom) for a 1.2 l large hatch is not unbelievable.
I guess the MJD will come for 6+, which puts it in fusion territory.
So it would be competing against a swift D/Getz D (5-5.5 lakh ex showroom) along with something from Tata (4.5-5 lakh) ex showroom
Probably linea will sell at Verna price, and corner some market, but the general car buying populace mentality(not TBHP) is that
"Hatch for 6.5L ex showroom? forget it."
Old 25th July 2007, 15:03   #58
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
....but the general car buying populace mentality(not TBHP) is that
"Hatch for 6.5L ex showroom? forget it."
You are wrong there. The mentality is:

Fiat? Forget it.
Old 25th July 2007, 15:10   #59
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by typeOnegative View Post
You are wrong there. The mentality is:

Fiat? Forget it.
If company is serious, that can change. 3 years ago somebody thinking of a petrol Tata would have been sent to a psychiatrist by well wishers
Old 25th July 2007, 16:32   #60
Senior - BHPian

Mid 2008 Fiat will launch the Grande Punto in India with a 1.2 and a 1.4 L Petrol engine.

Next summer, Fiat will launch the Grande Punto in Europe with a 1.4L Turbo 120 and 150 HP Petrol engine.

Scoop: Fiat Grande Punto 1.4 Turbo caught testing.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks