Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd November 2004, 10:07   #61
Senior - BHPian

why is everybody so against korean cars? whats wrong with them? i'd like to know.

Drifter

Old 3rd November 2004, 11:47   #62
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] (drifter @ Nov. 03 2004,07:37)]why is everybody so against korean cars? whats wrong with them? i'd like to know.

Drifter
same here,could someone explain please
Old 3rd November 2004, 11:50   #63
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ]why is everybody so against korean cars? whats wrong with them? i'd like to know.
Korean cars have traditionally not braked well, dont have high revving engines, responsive steering or handle well. You can see why enthusiasts dont think too much of them.

Another factor is that the koreans initially were low on quality (over the 80's). Now into 2004...though Hyundais quality is almost as good as the Japs, they are fighting tooth and nail to brush off the eco-image from two decades back.

GTO
Old 5th November 2004, 15:35   #64
Senior - BHPian

abt hyundais quality.

Drifter
Old 5th November 2004, 15:39   #65
Senior - BHPian

This discussion has shifted way off topic...poor ashmole...

relax dude, will come up with a review of the scorpio in a few days time.

Drifter
Old 5th November 2004, 23:50   #66
Team-BHP Support

hey bpians
hwa the war between the safari n the scorpion king . . .
maybe my message wud throw a lill light on the scorpio s performance bla bla bala coz i own one since may 2004 n i had to make a decision between the safari and the scorpio .
infact this whole topic has influenced me to write a review on my scorpion king too which i will soon .
nwe gettin back to the topic safari or the scorpio
tough decision , i must say .
i was with drifter today for a while , thats when i found out abt this topic .

SAFARI
PROS:
great looks ( wonder who said that the scorpio looked betterthan the safari , even owning a scorpio does not make me say such a foolish thing ) hats off to tata for designin sumthin so beautiful 6 years back . . .
SPACE , COMFORT , LEGROOM , an amazing rear seat i must say

CONS :
everyone knows the main culprit is the engine ( and i am suprised why has tata - a company that has kept on improving each an every product of its has not realised that they need a much more powerful engine )
electronics tend to keep giving problems

SCORPIO
PROS :
ENGINE IS JUST TOO GOOD TO BE TRUE ESPECIALLY AFTER OWNING A SIERRA TURBO FOR 3 YEARS AND A 2.5 PAJERO FOR 10 DAYS ( it was too slow , hardly better than my turbo ) i was suprised that jeeps at a price of a lill mre than the 7 lakh mark (on road thane) cud actually go so fast .
just wondering why wud normally_crazy stop accelerating at 100kmph at the express way ,
i ve dun a 155 kmph a couple of times in my car ( n that too on the vapi highway n marine drive ) without ny damn fear . . .
there must have been sumthing realiee wrong with the car u were driving normally_crazy
the looks of the scorpio are good but nt as good looking as the safi baby . . . .
acceleration considerin its a diesel jeep is way too good

CONS :
handling yet suffers , steering has been improved in the new scorpio but not realiee satisfactory
cheap quality of interiors
gear box is i think picked up from the bolero ( thats watt i was told )
seats have been changed from the older scorpio but yet not realiee comfortable
the after sales service suckd big time . . . .

i ve dun a lill mre than 10000 kms in my scorpio n havent had ny serious issues but definately a few small ones ( which i think happens in every case ( for ny car till the 10 lakh mark , there are xceptional cases though ) .
overall i m satified with my car . . . i think every buck that i spent for it is seriously worth it . . . . . . . but i m not at all saying the safari isbad or nything . .
it just depends watt ure priorities are . . whether u want presence n high comfort levels n a lotta space . . or u want to compromise on these a lill bit n try and fit in a good powerful engine as well in the same package .

hope this helps u guys to choose between the safari and the scorpio ( it was a very difficult choice for me ) . . . .

n drifter ( manish ) u have company to protect the safari but u better not say nything bad abt my babiee ( dnt think u wud after driving mine this evenin ) . . .

manson .
Old 6th November 2004, 00:00   #67
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] (normally_crazy @ Nov. 02 2004,15:37)]drifter ,

the tata has one platfrom...the indica and indigo and they still not doing a pretty job yaar.

whereas the safari hardly bothers the sales charts..maybe thats y they neglecting it.....or they are neglecting it thats why it has no sales ...i wonder if tata are caught in their own circle ??

cheers
hey normally ,
"the tata has one platfrom...the indica and indigo and they still not doing a pretty job yaar."

cud not understand watt that meant . . . cud u explain that again and drifter was telling me abt the free flow on your zen . . . he wastelling me its realiee good n stuff !!!!
Old 6th November 2004, 00:12   #68
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] (manson @ Nov. 05 2004,21:20)]..wonder who said that the scorpio looked better than the safari , even owning a scorpio does not make me say such a foolish thing
Well...thats actually personal view...u really cant say a person liking the Scorpios design over the Safari is making a foolish statement...Becauz for me...the thing which is practical, really works...and the people who arent practical are fools!!! Today the Safari has become such a joke infront of other Suvs...somebody pays a ridiculous amount of money on it...and wat he gets is a silly gearbox that needs to be kicked to work and a lazy lousy engine which many defend saying..it will be improved in the next light years!!!

The Safari today is like a ignored child whose parents didnt even bother to give him a polio vaccine since his birth!!
But the opposite goes for the Scorpio...its parents have always cared for it..always..made it leave bad habbits..and the results are in front of u..its improving very fast!!
Old 6th November 2004, 00:14   #69
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] (manson @ Nov. 05 2004,21:30)]drifter was telling me abt the free *flow on your zen...
By the way... Normally_Crazy has a Ikon with a Automech FreeFlow!!
Old 6th November 2004, 01:43   #70
SLK
Senior - BHPian

I am not into these diesel beasts. Just don't like them.
But i have driven Scorpio and Qualis.
Scorpio is fast and smooth and.. really quite upto the mark for a diesel.
in Qualis the gears and clutch actually work!!...
After driving the wagonR ... the scorpio's clutch just didn't depress! and gears didn't change.
and after getting back into the wagonR... my foot repeatedly hit the floor when i pushed the clutch!.

Though given the choice to go for one of the SUVs!... I'll have to go for the Scorpio b'coz of the engine! hope they get me a 5 gear automatic
Old 6th November 2004, 13:11   #71
Senior - BHPian

ok fellas,

manson - i have an ikon ( as pointed out by stratos ) ..and the reason why stopped accelerating nearing the 100kmph mark is that the scorpio just dint feel stable enuf.. the feeling of toppling over was way too prevalent even on minor adjustments....cudnt be anything wrong with that particular vehicle coz i drove to lonavala immd after taking delivery ..

lets sort out this problem abt the safari and the scorpio...

Features * * * * * * *Scorpio * * * * * * * * *Safari
--------------------------------------------
Looks * * * * * * * * * *1.00 * * * * * * * * * * * *0.75 *(safari too common)
Space * * * * * * * * * 0.50 * * * * * * * * * * * *1.00
Engine * * * * * * * * * 1.00 * * * * * * * * * * * *0.25
Ride Quality * * * * * *0.50 * * * * * * * * * * * *1.00
Interiors * * * * * * * * 0.75 * * * * * * * * * * * *0.50
Performance * * * * * *1.00 * * * * * * * * * * * *0.25
Handling * * * * * * * * *0.20 * * * * * * * * * * * *0.80
Gear box 0.50 0.25
VFM * * * * * * * * * * * *0.75 * * * * * * * * * * * *0.50
------------------------------------------------
Total * * * * * * * * * * * 6.20 * * * * * * * * * * * * 5.30

Hope this clears out the fite....Rite now nothing comes close to a scorpio forget the handling problem....

ps- ratings based on my opinion...feel free to contradict and paste ur views *

And yeah - Stratos ..the polio vaccine stuff u said was spot on !!! haha

Old 6th November 2004, 13:15   #72
Senior - BHPian

Hey NC... dammm good!! Perfect Ratings!!
Old 6th November 2004, 15:16   #73
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Superior rubber with wide track alloys on the Scorpio would significantly improve the handling problem, though not eliminate it completely.

And yes, I much prefer the Scorpios looks to that of the Safari. Could never stick the Safaris looks

GTO
Old 6th November 2004, 15:24   #74
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] (normally_crazy @ Nov. 06 2004,10:41)]And yeah - Stratos ..the polio vaccine stuff u said was spot on !!! haha
Haha!! was thinking about posting something wierd for 15 minutes when this vaccine stuff stuck me!
Old 6th November 2004, 15:30   #75
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] (Stratos @ Nov. 05 2004,21:42)]The Safari today is like a ignored child whose parents didnt even bother to give him a polio vaccine since his birth!!
But the opposite goes for the Scorpio...its parents have always cared for it..always..made it leave bad habbits..and the results are in front of u..its improving very fast!!
you see the safari isnt a pampered spoilt(!!) brat like the scoprio(due to which he is very difficult to handle!)
while the safari has learnt life the hard way by slogging real hard for our country!(it has almost replaced our amby in all the goverment works)!and slowly slowly he is gaining the edge over his spoilt rich pampered cousin!(the 3.0 crdi engine!)

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks