Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th April 2008, 01:05   #151
Senior - BHPian

The steering wheel looks terrible!
Even Swift and SX4 have better steering and dash than that!
Old 25th April 2008, 01:35   #152
BANNED

Being what they are, Toyota rarely makes a mistake when they launch a car. So rather than shooting earlier, I will hold on to my guns.

Thanks for sharing the pics here, Skywalker.
Old 25th April 2008, 08:56   #153
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedzak View Post
Being what they are, Toyota rarely makes a mistake when they launch a car. So rather than shooting earlier, I will hold on to my guns.

Thanks for sharing the pics here, Skywalker.
I agree with Zak, Toyota will surely not make a mistake . I think the Indian model should have the interiors somewhat similar to the Thailand ( as shown in the pics) . As rumours say that the New Corolla will be priced higher i just hope they dont overprice it or else It cant beat Civic IMO.
Old 25th April 2008, 11:59   #154
Senior - BHPian

The Corolla Altis has figured in theis month's Autocar. The Interiors can at bst be described as boring. There is a jungle of keys on the console. The engine is also the same with some tweaking. According to the mag the build quality is better than the earlier car.

Toyota may appeal to the conservative minded buyer. the Honda Civic will continue to lordover the segment.
Old 25th April 2008, 14:54   #155
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhaval View Post
Btw is the temperature gauge next to the tacho?
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyWalker View Post

I'm sorry - didn't check if there was a temp. gauge - will check wheni go out. Or are you talking about that orange LED next to speedo?
I am talking about the temp. gauge only. I think its next to the tachometer, (hidden behind the steering wheel in your pic). Yes and the orange LED next to speedo is offcourse the "doors open " warning light
Old 25th April 2008, 18:59   #156
BHPian

Doesnt hold half a chance against a Civic. And if they revamp the Civic (Like a miniature makeover like a few addons here & there) after it's launch, it should get slaughtered.
Old 25th April 2008, 19:05   #157
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xehaust View Post
Doesnt hold half a chance against a Civic. And if they revamp the Civic (Like a miniature makeover like a few addons here & there) after it's launch, it should get slaughtered.
I beg to differ. Even today, the Corolla is a more practical car than the Civic, more suited to the Indian road conditions. Dont forget that the Corolla will likely be a better performing car than the Civic, albeit it may still not beat the Civic in the looks department
Old 25th April 2008, 19:11   #158
BHPian

I agree with everyone who aptly call it - 'boring' - Expected much more and I expected them to do more after Honda did their act in Civic.

In US, I can hardly 'notice' it - The rear, though it may appear different in the pics, is hardly noticeable while on roads. Honda Accord, btw, is distinct in its new 'Avatar' - I have asked the Hertz guy to call me whenever he gets the new Accord - still no avail. I heard that they get booked in airport as soon as they have one. I am not picking up a corolla any day. (I now drive a Ford Taurus 2008 Limited Edition - That I have not changed the car for the past 6+ weeks is a testimony to how good the car is (I usually change cars every week to drive different cars whenever I am in US on business))

I actually found that the base models of corolla here (even the earlier generations) are PATHETIC when it comes to interiors. Since it priced at a premium in India, we dont get to see the lower end Corollas in India - (Btw, I haven't looked at the Corolla E, in India).

That nobody is excited and still it sells well, I think, is what makes a Corolla , a Corolla
Old 25th April 2008, 19:12   #159
BHPian

Its just a personal opinion I dont like the GC of the Civic but compared to the Corolla,
the interiors of the Corolla look stone-age with the Civic and the looks dont match up.
I personally dint like the back as seen in the pictures, perhaps it looks better in the metal.
Old 25th April 2008, 22:01   #160
Senior - BHPian

Interiors lack flair. Autocar Has done a small review on it in this months issue. I dont think this would give Civic a run for its money.
Old 25th April 2008, 22:33   #161
BHPian

If the Malaysian model is anything to go by, they may add some features like parking sensors, automatic headlamps and automatic wipers; and if they dont price it significantly higher than the civic; people will lap it up. They'll miss the digital speedo of the civic , but the very fact that it will be new and priced competitively will give Toyota the sales numbers they've been so despearately looking for.
Old 26th April 2008, 00:50   #162
Senior - BHPian

And how long do you think it will take honda to add these frills to Civic

Quote:
I beg to differ. Even today, the Corolla is a more practical car than the Civic, more suited to the Indian road conditions. Dont forget that the Corolla will likely be a better performing car than the Civic, albeit it may still not beat the Civic in the looks department
Depends what you call performance. Means different things to different people.
When Civic got launched it pretty much killed the Corolla market. I would have preferred something similar from Toyota. In best interest of the customer...
Competition helps...
Old 26th April 2008, 03:49   #163
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhaval View Post
I am talking about the temp. gauge only. I think its next to the tachometer, (hidden behind the steering wheel in your pic). Yes and the orange LED next to speedo is offcourse the "doors open " warning light
yes, that was temp gauge. apologies
Old 26th April 2008, 17:26   #164
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Doesn't anyone think that the new Corolla looks a lot like the existing gen? I am a car guy, and I did have to look twice to see the difference. To me, it only looked like a face lift.

Actually, Toyota is made up of a pretty self-contradictory bunch of managers. They complain that the average Toyota buyers age is shooting higher and higher......and then, they launch a new car which would only appeal to my Grandfather.
Old 27th April 2008, 04:26   #165
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Doesn't anyone think that the new Corolla looks a lot like the existing gen? I am a car guy, and I did have to look twice to see the difference. To me, it only looked like a face lift.
Totally agree! It is not good enough to qualify for the next generation - More of a facelift (I mentioned this in my earlier post too " In US, I can hardly 'notice' it - The rear, though it may appear different in the pics, is hardly noticeable while on roads.")

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks