Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 14th January 2010, 19:12   #166
BHPian

It looks like one of those Pakistani cricket players with a beard too big for their face (e.g. Saeed Anwar)
Old 14th January 2010, 19:13   #167
Senior - BHPian

This car was prominently displayed at the 2008 Auto Expo. It looked awkward and ungainly to me. The nano is outright ugly which is much better than being awkward and nondescript like the Bajaj car.
Old 14th January 2010, 19:49   #168
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacho View Post
It looks like one of those Pakistani cricket players with a beard too big for their face (e.g. Saeed Anwar)
What a simile my man.

Yeah, it is very difficult to look at. Guess you will not see it once you are inside the car.
Old 14th January 2010, 19:57   #169
BHPian

On one hand Renault is talking about the small car, their partner on the other hand has just made the following statement :-

Bajaj not focusing on small car now

Quote:
Shishir Arya, TNN, 26 December 2009, 01:46am IST

NAGPUR: It seems Tata Nano may not have any competition, at least in the near future. Two-wheeler maker Bajaj Auto Ltd (BAL) was planning to launch its own small car by 2011 to counter Nano but BAL chairman Rahul Bajaj said that they no longer find it a "good idea".

The low-cost product would have led Bajaj entering into the car market. According to reports, the car will be made with joint venture partners Nissan and Renault, will not carry the Bajaj brand name. The car was supposed to be priced around Rs 1 lakh, at par with Nano.

A fortnight ago, BAL also announced its decision to stop making scooters. The company, instead, wants to focus on motorcycles. "There appears to be no point in launching a new car when there are already so many models in the market, from a Mercedes to Nano. We did want to launch a low-cost car but now we have changed our mind," said Bajaj, who was in the city to attend a function.

He added, "Let the company focus on bikes and then think of cars. First the company can upgrade the three-wheelers. May be we can add a fourth wheel to it and make something like a carry van, but it will certainly not be a car."

It is obvious that they need to talk.
Old 14th January 2010, 20:40   #170
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariendj View Post
didnt bajaj scrap the plan for a small car a month back!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by anmol2k4 View Post
Exactly my thought. I was of the understanding that this is shelved!
Old 14th January 2010, 20:57   #171
Senior - BHPian

looks damn ugly. look at the position of the gear lever, it's out of place. i will always prefer an alto over this.
bajaj once said they want to concentrate on bikes than cars. anyway, they are bringing an old car for 2012.

Last edited by amit V8 : 14th January 2010 at 20:58.
Old 14th January 2010, 21:10   #172
BHPian

Read elsewhere that the plans for small car has been shelved by Bajaj. This thread looks irrelevant, mods please do the necessary.
Old 14th January 2010, 21:10   #173
BHPian

Its a high time Bajaj took a leaf out of TATA magic and improve their three wheeler portfolio. IMO they have single handedly changed Indian roads for the worse. 3 wheelers had their utility, say 20 years ago, but we need to move ahead. look at the noise, pollution, road manners and safety of their 3 wheelers. Sure they provide a cheap transport for masses, but I am sure that can be done on four wheels too - maybe with a diesel engine!
Old 14th January 2010, 21:25   #174
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacho View Post
Or Yousuf Youhana..err.. Muhammed Yousuf now.

But when this was announced, it was clearly not in the league of the Nano. It was going to be priced above 2 L anyway.
Old 14th January 2010, 22:59   #175
Senior - BHPian

I had read somewhere that Renault on its own was going to launch some thing really jazzy. Will search that picture and post
Old 14th January 2010, 23:35   #176
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by basilmabraham View Post
Read elsewhere that the plans for small car has been shelved by Bajaj. This thread looks irrelevant, mods please do the necessary.
I am not sure if the project is shelved. I saw this article in rediff posted today, so I assume there is some truth in it. I did try to search for an article on Bajaj car in team BHP but was not able to find any using the search, hence this post.

Yes, I agree it looks (i would like to say) very different. But how well the car performs depends on many other factors. Sometimes our eyes get accustomed to looks.

If anyone has confirmed news that this project is shelved, let's discard this thread.
Old 15th January 2010, 00:01   #177
Senior - BHPian

Guys,
I had a peek at this "fibreglass body on a bajaj auto frame" at the Auto Expo 2008.
Disgusting contraption. Absolutely incomparable to the Nano.

Why did Bajaj come out with this "concept"?
Well, I assume they made 100 times the 'cost' at the Stock market.
Old 15th January 2010, 12:56   #178
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunilM View Post
Its a high time Bajaj took a leaf out of TATA magic and improve their three wheeler portfolio. IMO they have single handedly changed Indian roads for the worse. 3 wheelers had their utility, say 20 years ago, but we need to move ahead. look at the noise, pollution, road manners and safety of their 3 wheelers. Sure they provide a cheap transport for masses, but I am sure that can be done on four wheels too - maybe with a diesel engine!
Crocodile DoneD : Eggjactly, bybes. This is the same gap that the Magic Iris fills. Tata Working , bajaj ****ing. Your requirement is already satisfied.

Disclaimer : this post inspired by the 2005-6 movie 'Salaam Namaste' and Javed Jaffrey's character.
Old 3rd May 2010, 19:38   #179
BHPian

Bajaj car to cost Rs 110,000

Read this up in today's rediff:

Move over Nano, Bajaj car to cost Rs 110,000: Rediff.com Business

Here's the crux of the story:

French auto major Renault and Bajaj Auto have agreed to price the ultra low cost (ULC) car that they are jointly developing with Nissan at $2,500, (around Rs 110,000) to take on Tata Nano.

Originally, the car was scheduled to hit the market this year, but that has been postponed to 2012. It will take on Tata Nano, which is currently available in a price range of Rs 123,000-172,000 (ex-showroom Delhi) for three variants.

Officials of the alliance had said that the car will be smaller than Maruti Suzuki's Alto, which is the biggest selling model in India.

-------------
Note to mods: Please merge this thread if this is already being discussed elsewhere.
Old 6th July 2010, 10:21   #180
BHPian

There seems to be a change of plan with the JV being scrapped-

Source-
Bajaj Scraps Renault India Low-Cost Car Venture for Supply Pact - BusinessWeek
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks