Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 7th February 2008, 20:20   #16
BHPian

I have a 97 seater Omni adn i must say its has been a car that never ditched after driving it for more than 25k kms now i can say that...done 115 once and i must say that was scary..!! its a car which can take 8 ppl and decent luggage and is cheap too....atleast for we college guys....want this car to retire it has served well and had been good money spinner for Maruti too...good step to get in a new improved and stable OMNI...

athough my next buy will be a diesel sedan...wil miss the space this car offered...
Old 7th February 2008, 20:24   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMAG View Post
I dont believe the current Omni will be stopped.
What I meant was if the are going ahead with such a project, it will be a failure unless they are going to price it below 3lac OTR max.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahulkool View Post
just plonk a 1.3 diesel with some reduced power maybe and it will be a winner

and i prefer this vehicle to anything in my home town (patna), there is so much of chaos in traffic there that if you take a new vehicle on the road you die of fear or scratching it or with anger lol, but with my omni i can drive fearlessly ..... have assisted many auto and rikshawala who resist to move hehe
1.3 on the Omni. Pricing can be a problem.

One abuses it because its easy/cheaper to maintain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahulkool View Post
i have driven omni many times as i said earlier it can easily do 115-120 on the speedo when no load. and with 5 people on board it can touch 100.

it fun driving the omni because of rear wheel drive standing 180* turns are easy, just turn the wheel, full throttle in first gear and leave the clutch it will turn in no space

One of the most unsafe car we have on Indian roads.
Old 7th February 2008, 20:34   #18
BANNED

Will the new omni be crash tested? Full frontal impact? Side impact? Semi frontal impact? Stability on inclines? Stability / handling at speeds above 80KMPH?

Will there be crumple zones?

Will it be at least as safe as the Tata Nano? (nano has at least spare wheel in the front boot space to protect you - what does the Omini have?)

Sorry, I could not help this, but the "M800 is safer than Mercs" statement is very difficult to forget.

Last edited by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR : 7th February 2008 at 20:35. Reason: Fixed typos
Old 7th February 2008, 20:40   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
Will the new omni be crash tested? Full frontal impact? Side impact? Semi frontal impact? Stability on inclines? Stability / handling at speeds above 80KMPH?

Will there be crumple zones?

Will it be at least as safe as the Tata Nano? (nano has at least spare wheel in the front boot space to protect you - what does the Omini have?)

Sorry, I could not help this, but the "M800 is safer than Mercs" statement is very difficult to forget.
This is whats going to be the criterion now!
If Nano can why not Omni !
Old 7th February 2008, 20:46   #20
Senior - BHPian

It would make sense to put the 1.1 engine from the Wagon R to cut costs.
Old 7th February 2008, 20:49   #21
BHPian

Great news

I had just started thinking about what's the next upgrade from my omni, and i come across this thread - simply great. I was just wondering why maruti have not introduced a diesel versa - that will be my blindfolded choice. And now it seems my dream is going to become true. Waiting eagerly for the new avatar of omni.
Old 7th February 2008, 20:50   #22
Senior - BHPian

In my view Suzuki might just bring down the APV as the new omni. Here's 1 picture which I found on the net.

PS: Looking at the background, it looks like India. Doesn't the color of the tower look familiar??
Old 7th February 2008, 20:52   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUSA View Post
Omni with the 1.3L Multijet = Sucide. Its high time they call it a day on the Omni.
It sells. And despite all prophesies of doom, the 'death toll' over all these years has not terribly frightening, has it?
Old 7th February 2008, 22:57   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amtak View Post
In my view Suzuki might just bring down the APV as the new omni. Here's 1 picture which I found on the net.

PS: Looking at the background, it looks like India. Doesn't the color of the tower look familiar??
Doesn't it look too big a vehicle to replace the Omni? IMO, it would replace the Versa. I also had heard few rumours regarding this.
Old 7th February 2008, 23:39   #25
BHPian

Apv

I think the APV is sold in Pakistan(from where the pic can possibly be). It is sold with a 1.5l engine and is 4.15m long. So could be a versa replacement but surely not omni.

Pak-Suzuki link
::: PAK SUZUKI MOTOR COMPANY LIMITED :::
Old 7th February 2008, 23:48   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue_pulsar View Post
Doesn't it look too big a vehicle to replace the Omni? IMO, it would replace the Versa. I also had heard few rumours regarding this.

i agree,the shape resembles versa,and not omni.
Old 8th February 2008, 00:28   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankit.jhamb View Post
i agree,the shape resembles versa,and not omni.
I agree with all of you. However, isn't the APV doing a few rounds of the country and wasn't it at the expo that was concluded recently? Did we expect the SX4 to be a replacement for the Baleno? Suzuki is keen on maintaining its "cult" status and I wouldn't be surprised if the APV is launched in India as the Omni.

PS: Omni has a strong brand name just like the Zen.

Zen to Zen Estilo
Omni to Omni Omelette lo
Old 8th February 2008, 01:19   #28
BANNED

Versa can be stripped down and sold in the 3lac budget with a 1.1ltr engine option. That will satisfy many Omni worshippers for now. But the low floor height in the omni will be definitely missed. And of course, the middle row legspace too. I remember those days when my sis used sleep on her favorite sleeping bag there.

Talking about a diesel Versa, wow! That would be rocking! It should be priced like the Swift DDiS too. It would be nice to have a Versa SDX with the 1.3 DDiS mill doing duty in it. A very efficient diesel Versa would be a dream come true for many. It'll be a bit of effort to maintain sound levels and vibrations from the engine.

Hello! APV is quiet a big vehicle. It's almost like a VW combi/caravan. It will definitely be in the price range close to 10lacs. No way it can replace the nimble and humble Omni here.
A diesel version with that 1.9l multijet thingy doing the job would be welcome to have some competition with the current lot of MPV/MUVs here. MUL will have a complete line up with atleast 1 product in almost every segment then. Talk about being a true market leader!
Old 8th February 2008, 04:19   #29
BHPian

In Asia Pac, APV has 1.3l engine with 7 seater arrangement. Cost is just tad below SX4 auto. It is made in Indonesia. So, do not think it will replace Omni or Versa, might be a different segment altogether, for bigger families/taxis will be nice match.
Old 8th February 2008, 11:50   #30
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgmuser View Post
In Asia Pac, APV has 1.3l engine with 7 seater arrangement. Cost is just tad below SX4 auto..... .... ..... for bigger families/taxis will be nice match.
Yeah?
In that case, it would be nice if the 1.3 multijet option comes in it at a good price. Would sell like the Swift VDI.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks