Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 27th February 2009, 20:55   #151
BHPian

In a time of recession when competitors like Honda are raising prices, I'll be very surprised if prices of both the Superb and Laura go down.

Or maybe Skoda has finally decided to stop ripping Indians off and is going to sell the Laura at Octavia prices and stop selling the Octavia?
Old 28th February 2009, 00:20   #152
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by f450 View Post
In a time of recession when competitors like Honda are raising prices, I'll be very surprised if prices of both the Superb and Laura go down.

Or maybe Skoda has finally decided to stop ripping Indians off and is going to sell the Laura at Octavia prices and stop selling the Octavia?
Also I feel it's the fierce competition. Skoda may want to settle down in the minds of people with the thought that they make great cars with great price, change the persona. But the best they could do is do bring down the prices of their parts and localise them as much as they can. Also I suppose in the near future Chevrolet Cruze is also expected with both petrol and diesel, which is a bigger car at an expected price around 13-14 lakh top end on road. It would stiffen the competition for Civic, laura, jetta, corolla car looks great and spacious interior and their CRDi 150bhp from Captiva would power the same, one to watch out provided the GM improves on ***, which is not likely to happen soon i suppose.

Skoda superb will also have to face Accord diesel this year i think along with all new Nissan Teana/Cefiro. Which again is suppose to be a great car, with much spacious comfy interior. Somehow the current teana havn't gone down that well coz of poor marketing. Nissan is all set to bring a small car, D segment as well.

With wide options opening up for the end consumer its important the makers pump in their cars with high quality interiors, max features, a great fuel efficient engine, and last but not the least great pricing.
It will be good for Skoda if they see all this coming at make the pricing much more attractive than what they have been practising so far. Nevertheless Superb is gonna be one car which is will be hard to beat in it's segment major plus is those VW highly fuel efficient diesel engine, space and drive and handling along with european build.

Last edited by Invinsible : 28th February 2009 at 00:27.
Old 28th February 2009, 14:02   #153
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Karl, the previous gen Superb has great legroom but the backrest was a little too upright (atleast for my tastes):

1. Is it adjustable for the rear passengers?

2. If not, it is well inclined (for lazy-boy like comfort)?
Old 28th February 2009, 14:16   #154
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Karl, the previous gen Superb has great legroom but the backrest was a little too upright (atleast for my tastes):

1. Is it adjustable for the rear passengers?

2. If not, it is well inclined (for lazy-boy like comfort)?
As far as I know it is not adjustable for recline in the rear, and hence cannot have lazy-boy levels of recline angle as it isn't for everyone. I found it comfy enough, though I haven't spent extended time in the back. Would have liked to sink into the seats a little more though. B pillar mounted AC vents work well. I did notice a fair amount of road/tyre noise intrude, though the diesel ruckus was surprisingly insulated. Petrol gives a delicious roar in S mode.
Old 28th February 2009, 17:44   #155
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
and hence cannot have lazy-boy levels of recline angle as it isn't for everyone.
Yup, I know. I am among the few who prefer an entirely laid-back (sleepy inclined) seat while travelling. That's why, when being chauffeur-driven, I use the front passenger seat.

Thanks for the prompt reply.

Quote:
Petrol gives a delicious roar in S mode.
How about a video review / highlights of the Superb?
Old 1st March 2009, 09:58   #156
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
Petrol gives a delicious roar in S mode.
Yeah. There is a noticeable difference in the gearshift speed. THe DSG already shifts the gears way quicker than any other car, but in the S mode its just plane crazy. and the rumble even when the car is just idling is nice.

cheers
AC
Old 4th March 2009, 15:23   #157
BHPian

inquired at the local skoda showroom at mangalore they say launch is anytime after 9th this month they have no idea of pricing and features cant wait to test drive one
Old 5th March 2009, 04:48   #158
BHPian

Well i went to one, and they told me that the launch is on the 10th of this month. They are already taking bookings, asking for Rs 2 Lakh advance, and the waiting period as of now is 10 days.
Old 5th March 2009, 10:44   #159
Distinguished - BHPian

Check out this months Autocar issue. It has a roadtest of the superb, just a few pages down is the new 7's roadtest. A side-by-side comparision of the superb's dimension diagram with the 7's gives a clear picture on how spacious this car really is. In all aspects-front,rear,legroom,headroom the superb delivers more!
Old 5th March 2009, 15:02   #160
BHPian

the autocar has only reviewd the 1.8 petrol any idea of what the ex showrrom price is for the 2.0 diesel and if the paddle shifts are available on the diesel
Old 5th March 2009, 16:00   #161
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dockap View Post
the autocar has only reviewd the 1.8 petrol any idea of what the ex showrrom price is for the 2.0 diesel and if the paddle shifts are available on the diesel
Paddle shift DSG box is standard on the diesel as well, though it is a 6 speed unit.
Old 5th March 2009, 17:20   #162
BHPian

Yesterday i spoke to my uncle(Actually his marketing mgr) here who is the dealer of Skoda for HYD, and he said its coming in only in PETROL! :( no diesel as of now. and it is to be priced around 19.5lk ex-showroom.
Said the car will be with him by March 10th, and then he would let me have a go at it.

But its strange to believe that Skoda isn't bringing in a diesel version. I think they are just not telling it all clear or something.

Last edited by Insane Devil : 5th March 2009 at 17:22.
Old 5th March 2009, 17:35   #163
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insane Devil View Post
Yesterday i spoke to my uncle(Actually his marketing mgr) here who is the dealer of Skoda for HYD, and he said its coming in only in PETROL! :( no diesel as of now. and it is to be priced around 19.5lk ex-showroom.
Said the car will be with him by March 10th, and then he would let me have a go at it.

But its strange to believe that Skoda isn't bringing in a diesel version. I think they are just not telling it all clear or something.
There is no way they wouldn't bring a diesel engine. They probably experienced that once a diesel engine is there the petrol gets sidelined at launch. This way at least people will try out the petrol and might give it a go if they like it, shortly the diesel will follow after.
Old 5th March 2009, 17:40   #164
Team-BHP Support

I think Karlos already confirmed that the petrol would be launched first then the diesel. That's common practice.
Old 5th March 2009, 18:56   #165
Distinguished - BHPian

The diesel will follow the petrol, though not much later. The petrol is such a breakthrough, it is being pushed more.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks