Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 23rd July 2008, 18:07   #1
Senior - BHPian

Hyundai Santa Fe spotted!

Yesterday, while driving to work I saw a black Hyundai SUV pull up alongside on the Delhi-Noida toll bridge. First I thought it was a Tucson but as I looked more closely I realized it was the new Santa Fe. This one:

Hyundai Santa Fe spotted!-sanfe.jpg

I waited for him to overtake me and then got close. The badging at the back said CRDI - I couldn't read the rest. When the driver realized me tailing him he took off. The car had a strange number plate: NL-05 XXXX.
It was being driven by a youngish guy in a shirt and tie. It seemed to me he was a sales guy taking the new car on the block for a ride.

I guess it's finally coming with a diesel heart. Looked good - big and butch - with good road presence.

Sorry no pics. My Blackberry doesn't have a camera.
Old 23rd July 2008, 18:30   #2
Senior - BHPian

NL registration plates are generally found on Oil tankers and other heavy vehicles. Does that actually stand for Nagaland ?

The front looks slightly weird. What is the general perception of the Santa Fe in other countries ?
Old 23rd July 2008, 18:44   #3
Senior - BHPian

its a best seller for Hyundai in the US.
Old 24th July 2008, 01:33   #4
Senior - BHPian

That is interesting!!

NL is nagaland - very low road tax cost.

for multi axle vehicles, even the 2-3% in mini tax havens around delhi etc is a very big number - lesser than the cost of a small representative office in nagaland
Old 24th July 2008, 11:02   #5
BHPian

Nagaland is the cheapest to register any vehicle in India. I believe its 5000 for a passenger vehicle (any make, any value, any capacity) and about 10000 or 15000 for a passenger vehicle!
Old 24th July 2008, 11:20   #6
BHPian

Have seen lot of them in Europe & Dubai, the SUV looks great from rear but unlike the rear it looks awkard from front.

But have heard that it has got a great CRDI heart.
Old 24th July 2008, 12:02   #7
Senior - BHPian

Off Topic I saw a recent grey import Land Cruiser in Mumbai with NL plates and a Safari as well. Looks like this is the new destination after the MP/DD/DN locations considered cheaper earlier. wounder how these guys organise the same from Mumbai!!! Given that the cops/revenue commssioners in Mumbai have been clamping down recently how these guys get away?
Old 24th July 2008, 13:11   #8
Senior - BHPian

Are there any chance of this SUV coming to India ?
I think this is rare and some one might have imported one.
Old 24th July 2008, 13:13   #9
Senior - BHPian

i feel hyundai should launch the veracruz suv here for aroudn 20 lakh with a crdi engine..

launching Santa Fe here and in this model era.. it looks a bit outdated as it is already sold since many years elsewhere.
Old 24th July 2008, 13:41   #10
Senior - BHPian

Wow, good news. After the Endeavour, Santa Fe is the only vehicle which has those rugged looks! I love it! But I hope its locally assembled.
Old 24th July 2008, 13:54   #11
Senior - BHPian

Given that the plates were Nagaland, where it costs the least to register a car, this was probably an import.
I was hoping I'd caught a test car. That doesn't seem to be the case.
And the status of the Santa Fe coming to India remains a mystery
Old 24th July 2008, 14:15   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarScream View Post
And the status of the Santa Fe coming to India remains a mystery
I think i had posted this somewhere before on the forum. Hyundai was in limbo over the Santa Fe. They had conducted an extensive market study concering the Sanata fe and had come to the conclusion that for various reasons a mid size softoader the market had a upper limit of 20 lakhs and people were unwilling to pay above that (also maybe because its a Hyundai). However according to Hyundai it was unable to introduce Santa Fe at that price point.

Elito

Last edited by Elito11 : 24th July 2008 at 14:17.
Old 24th July 2008, 14:38   #13
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumitB View Post
Nagaland is the cheapest to register any vehicle in India. I believe its 5000 for a passenger vehicle (any make, any value, any capacity) and about 10000 or 15000 for a passenger vehicle!
What's wrong with Shillong, Meghalaya in that case Sumit? One of the cars in the family was registered in Shillong some 5 years back because of the simple reason that it costed only some 4000 odd bucks to do so. That too when the car was purchased in Kolkata. It still runs around with its ML-05 board although it has never been to Shillong.
Old 24th July 2008, 14:59   #14
BHPian

The Santa Fe was displayed at the last autocar show in mumbai. I have taken pics of it. Will post them by evening
Old 24th July 2008, 16:55   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick1977 View Post
The Santa Fe was displayed at the last autocar show in mumbai. I have taken pics of it. Will post them by evening
Santa Fe was also displayed in the Auto Expo in Jan and I am sure that the pics are already there in that thread.

Btw, Tuscon was car of the year (2006) in US and couldnt sell in India at a price point of 15-16 lakhs. I dont know how a Veracruz the current car of the year will sell at 20 Lakhs.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks