Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th May 2011, 19:38   #1876
BHPian

Re: Official tracker of Price hike's & cut's in petrol & diesel in India

Today's petrol hike has brought a difference of 25 Rs. between petrol and diesel here in Goa, considering this I guess running diesel cars will be preferred now. I was fortunate enough to get my car filled up to the brim after spotting the long line at the local petrol station yesterday. I am waiting for Tata's Nano Diesel variant, a small car that works on diesel and gives an awesome mileage, that's worth the money.
Old 15th May 2011, 19:50   #1877
BHPian

Quote:
rise in petrol prices will eventually benefit society
No.

It is in the interest of the government to keep fuels taxes high so it helps them realise more revenue.

This is also why telecom infrastructure in the country is so weak, so people by necessity have to move around and apart from a few rich corporates, cannot use video-conferencing and other work-from-home technologies.

The tax on hybrid CBUs is killing, Civic tried and failed because the government was unwilling to provide concessional duties for a car that helps the environment.

I think you give those who run our country too much credit. They are far too shortsighted and petty.

It will require a major policy shift to realise any good towards the environment, and there is no indication that there is anyone even thinking of this at a macro level. The environment ministry, for example, does not talk to the petroleum ministry. Just imagine the kind of development that would happen if they could co-create.

The hike is quite steep. I did buy a petrol car though thankfully my daily run is less than 15km and the car mostly rests weekends. Outstation journeys will have to be thought through, preferably pooled.
cranky is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th May 2011, 20:00   #1878
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxx View Post
There is no fun in non-fossil fuel powered cars although it will do the job of taking people from point A to Point B
Well mate, you haven't heard of the Tesla Roadster and the Ultimate Aero EV then, I believe.
Gooney is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th May 2011, 22:23   #1879
BHPian

Like the gold ETFs, maybe somebody should start petrol ETFs!
Old 15th May 2011, 22:36   #1880
BHPian

Re: Fuel Price Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by vina View Post
I read somewhere a long time ago (may be two years ago) that Reliance petroleum officials are savvier buyers - they are masters at buying distressed oil tankers etc. at discounts. Don't know how true it was then and how true it can be today.
That I am sure they are! Even the KG basin finds have an infamous story behind it.
Old 15th May 2011, 22:40   #1881
Distinguished - BHPian

The free pricing for petrol, left to the oil companies to decide is playing havoc, it appears.The proposal to raise petrol prices mooted by the oil PSU's was pending with the petroleum ministry and kept in abeyance till the elections. Last weekend it seems this was okayed as per news reports.
The diesel, LPG and kerosene prices are still in the realm of the Union Cabinet and hence the GOM will have to meet and perhaps that meeting is scheduled early next week.
Old 15th May 2011, 23:49   #1882
Senior - BHPian

Friends this what I think about the rise in oil prices. Moderators my reply may sound outrageous but this is what I think.
The rise in the oil price was very well known would be coming in a few days. Most of all knew that as soon as the election got over there would be hike in the petrol, diesel, cooking gas and kerosene prices. The crude has been on a rise and since petrol was deregulated government gave the power to the oil companies to set the rate of petrol according to the ongoing international market rate. But still since the price of petrol increased during the midnight the news channel have been making a mockery as if they didn't knew about it coming, saying as the UPA govt won the election they gave the burden to the mango man.
People who all use public transport they shouldn't feel any heat as public transport is run on diesel and there have been no increase in diesel prices. But people who use there own automobiles like bike and car would feel a bit of heat.
Now comes the twist, why are we still using these old fossil fuels? There are so many solutions out there which can help us and prevent this increasing inflation and increasing cost of ownership of automobiles.
There are many solutions such as solar energy powered cars, electric cars, compressed air powered cars, hydrogen powered cars and etc. The only solution which I see which will replace the fossil fuels permanently would be hydrogen powered cars. Hydrogen is easy to obtain, cars can be quickly refilled compared to other form of energy which take time to be refueled/recharged. The combustion results in only water as the output compared to harmful fumes of fossil fuel powered cars.
So why can't GOI(Govt Of India) focus more on changing the way we travel by implementing these hydrogen powered cars. The only fuel that will be replacing petrol/diesel would be hydrogen. GOI should work with the car companies and try implement hydrogen powered cars. As there are more PSU oil companies, if they open one outlet of hydrogen at every bunk there would be one at every nook and corner.
Rather than accepting things as they are we should try and bring about a change. And with Team-BHP as a platform, we can bring about a huge change in the automobile sector with hydrogen powered cars.
Waiting for the your feedback fellow BHPians and moderators.
Old 15th May 2011, 23:57   #1883
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cranky View Post
The tax on hybrid CBUs is killing, Civic tried and failed because the government was unwilling to provide concessional duties for a car that helps the environment.

I think you give those who run our country too much credit. They are far too shortsighted and petty.

It will require a major policy shift to realise any good towards the environment, and there is no indication that there is anyone even thinking of this at a macro level. The environment ministry, for example, does not talk to the petroleum ministry. Just imagine the kind of development that would happen if they could co-create.

The hike is quite steep. I did buy a petrol car though thankfully my daily run is less than 15km and the car mostly rests weekends. Outstation journeys will have to be thought through, preferably pooled.
Well as for the Hybrid cars that have been launched in India (Civic, Prius) - the companies aren't that foolish. If they were trying to make a serious dent in the market, they wouldn't have brought the cars into India without favourable govt. policy being in place first. The only reason they introduced these cars was to tout themselves as being "green" from the closest rooftop - nothing else. They themselves knew that they would maybe only sell a handful of them at best.

As for the govt. I know they are not to be trusted with bringing progressive / environmentally friendly policies in place. What I trust in is that if it makes financial sense for the auto industry to start putting major R&D into next gen technologies, and to start thinking of electric / hybrid vehicles, they will lobby the govt. into introducing new policies. And of course in this they will find support from "civil society." I am well aware that neither the govt. nor the auto industry will think out of the goodness of their heart, but it is precisely my point that they will think in dollar terms. And if the bottomline dictates that there is going to be a huge demand for next gen vehicles, and much less demand for fuel guzzlers, they will respond appropriately. This btw is exactly what is happening in the states. It is only when petrol prices went up triple-fold that the consumers, then the auto industry and then the govt. started thinking about next gen technology.

I'm just suggesting an alternate point of view that is taking into account our long term interests as opposed to only looking at the (very real) pinch in our individual pockets in the short term. Honestly, if we were to account for the cost to the environment in a per litre formula, I am sure petrol prices would be multiple of what they are right now. So let's be thankful (in a penny wise pound foolish way) that we don't have to pay for our pollution yet.
Old 16th May 2011, 10:19   #1884
Team-BHP Support

Guess a diesel hike can't be put off any longer :

Now, Pranab hints at diesel price hike - The Times of India
Old 16th May 2011, 13:01   #1885
BHPian

Tanked up shell for 74.95/- a litre, cost has gone up by 2 rupees for a litre.

Came across this site today:
http://www.petrolstop.com/

Last edited by Mr_Bean : 16th May 2011 at 13:05.
Old 16th May 2011, 13:25   #1886
Senior - BHPian

I seriously wait for the price of Diesel to Hike. Why?

It will have chain-reaction and hit the prices of all commodities. Atleast by then, the aam aadmi wakes up and show his anger. But how? The elections are just over, and aam aadmi ONLY has the power to bring anyone to power. Not to throw them, until next election.

Where are those so called opposition parties?

Read today that the Aviation fuel prices have come down by 2.9%. Hmm, that reminds me something else. Why not include all the tax portion and provide bulls for the fuels too?

It will help us to know who gets what officially.
Old 16th May 2011, 14:07   #1887
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Bean View Post
Tanked up shell for 74.95/- a litre, cost has gone up by 2 rupees for a litre.
Wrong thread! There is a separate thread for Shell!

That price came in to effect on May 1st, so if there is any further rise post PSU price rise, it will be known only after a week or so!
Old 17th May 2011, 09:28   #1888
BHPian

Article in Ibnlive says that Diesel prices are expected to go up by Rs5 soon. Also a breakup of petrol price is given them, not sure how accurate it is.

'Out of the total Rs 63 per litre, petrol cost is just about Rs 30 on which 5 rupees is added as Basic Custom Duty, Rs 14.35 is Additional Customs Duty and Rs 14.35 is Central Excise Duty. Additional transportation cost and education cess are added on to it.' - Ibnlive
Old 17th May 2011, 10:27   #1889
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac187 View Post
Article in Ibnlive says that Diesel prices are expected to go up by Rs5 soon. Also a breakup of petrol price is given them, not sure how accurate it is.

'Out of the total Rs 63 per litre, petrol cost is just about Rs 30 on which 5 rupees is added as Basic Custom Duty, Rs 14.35 is Additional Customs Duty and Rs 14.35 is Central Excise Duty. Additional transportation cost and education cess are added on to it.' - Ibnlive

can you send a link to the article?
Old 17th May 2011, 11:45   #1890
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vina View Post
can you send a link to the article?
Here is the link to the IBNLive article Fuel politics: Diesel, LPG price hike soon? - India News - IBNLive

Quote:
Out of the total Rs 63 per litre, petrol cost is just about Rs 30 on which 5 rupees is added as Basic Custom Duty, Rs 14.35 is Additional Customs Duty and Rs 14.35 is Central Excise Duty. Additional transportation cost and education cess are added on to it.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks