Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd January 2008, 10:08   #316
BHPian

Finally a sensible decision and not a day too soon. However, I have my doubts about whether this will actually come through or not, in the wake of the dismal performance of the Congress in the recent elections. Even if it does, we could see a partial rollback pretty soon.
Old 3rd January 2008, 10:10   #317
Senior - BHPian

Was wondering when this was coming. They waited till Guj elections were over.
Old 3rd January 2008, 10:18   #318
BHPian

hopefully shell will again start selling normal fuel.
Old 3rd January 2008, 10:32   #319
Senior - BHPian

Aah.. if this comes through then i'll be paying at Trivandrum the same amount as i was paying for fuel at Bangalore.
Old 3rd January 2008, 11:10   #320
Distinguished - BHPian

This hurts. Salaries dont go up on account of regular increases in cost of living. Its high time the govt cuts duties and taxes they levy on petroleum products.
Old 3rd January 2008, 11:13   #321
Senior - BHPian

Although hike seems necessary but sudden 4 Rs hike will surely hurt.

Quote:
Its high time the govt cuts duties and taxes they levy on petroleum products.
Coming to think of it, its high time govt cuts duties & taxes on everything
Old 3rd January 2008, 11:14   #322
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMAG View Post
This hurts. Salaries dont go up on account of regular increases in cost of living. Its high time the govt cuts duties and taxes they levy on petroleum products.

true - and no one even looks at the flab in the oilmarketing companies...

they could save Rs2-3 by just cutting costs !

and if only the govt was to spend a part of the earnings from fuel taxes on good roads, vehicles would get a better mileage and indirectly help in the overall fuel consumption figures...

but then the easiest thing to do is hike the petrol prices which has one of the least price elasticity on demand after cigarettes and alchohol...
Old 3rd January 2008, 11:17   #323
Senior - BHPian

It's high time they cut duties and levies on petro products. The finance minister has himself said that the government has recieved a way more then expected collection of almost Rs. 3 lakh crores from direct taxes. Add Indirect taxes which even the poorest of poor pay and the figure should be mind boggling.

Now we are paying tolls for development and maintainence of roads and education cess for improving literacy so it can be assumed that the government isn't spending on roads and education from their direct and indirect tax collection isnt it? So what the hell are they doing with all the money?
Old 3rd January 2008, 11:25   #324
Senior - BHPian

Just read yesturday that everytime a minister is changed they auction the furnitures in his office & house for almost 1/8 of the price [in crores]. Do they really keep doing this in every office when a person is changed? Same with the govt provided cars to them. Same with everything and we waste so much of tax money. And in states like KA where its change so often, imagine the waste if money.
Possibly govt should stop this and that would help to reduce the tax by atleast a some amount...
Also, Diesel was subsidized more because it was used by Public carriers that transport people & goods and its hike will affect all common people. but we have so many Diesel engines in passenger & travel cars now and that subsidy is still given to them... So, govt will be getting more burden only and keep hiking all these often.
Do we need to provide subsidy on diesel only to public transports? Will that be possible?
Not sure how many diesel owners and would be owners will be bouncing on me now
Old 3rd January 2008, 11:26   #325
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
So what the hell are they doing with all the money?
My guess is as good as yours, eating it up what else!

There was some talk to do away with State Tax or something which would reduce the price to around 38 levels for petrol, but i guess it was as usual all talk.
Old 3rd January 2008, 11:29   #326
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit View Post
It's high time they cut duties and levies on petro products. The finance minister has himself said that the government has recieved a way more then expected collection of almost Rs. 3 lakh crores from direct taxes. Add Indirect taxes which even the poorest of poor pay and the figure should be mind boggling.

Now we are paying tolls for development and maintainence of roads and education cess for improving literacy so it can be assumed that the government isn't spending on roads and education from their direct and indirect tax collection isnt it? So what the hell are they doing with all the money?
It goes for infrastructures but not for INDIA but for govt office & people only...

Imagine the amount we pay every month
1. Service tax 12% for Phone
2. same for Mobile
3. Electricity
4. VAT for anything and everything you buy...

Just wondering how much this would come up to when added for the 100 crore people...
Old 3rd January 2008, 11:34   #327
LLL
BHPian

So diesel price will be hiked by Rs 2 and Petrol by Rs 4? And some govts & high courts want to discourage diesel cars?
Old 3rd January 2008, 11:38   #328
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMAG View Post
This hurts. Salaries dont go up on account of regular increases in cost of living.
But the IT guys can't complain, aren't IT salaries jumping by 20-30% every year? Although this year I doubt it consdiering the dollar slump.
Old 3rd January 2008, 11:48   #329
Team-BHP Support

Seriously speaking, I'm getting increasingly jealous of CRDi, DDiS, TDCi, TCDi badges!

They are having their cake and eating it too!
Old 3rd January 2008, 11:51   #330
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
But the IT guys can't complain, aren't IT salaries jumping by 20-30% every year? Although this year I doubt it consdiering the dollar slump.

Ha Ha 20% - 30 % every year?

If you can put names of the company's who are giving such a hike every year.. I guess everyone will join those !

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks