Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th April 2006, 23:26   #166
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhibh

We are paying thrice where as in US there si no price hike. May be a hike of 1 or 2 Cents.. and in us the current price is sround $ 0.49.. I mean this is around rs 21 here in india.
Thats not true,almost every week there is a hike in gas prices. In California its >3$ per gallon.
Old 25th April 2006, 23:31   #167
BHPian

just heard it from a reliable source... normal petrol is gonna cost only rs.55.00 in Bangalore.guess it would be the highest in the country..
Old 26th April 2006, 08:40   #168
RJK
Senior - BHPian

Now that the summer is approaching, I see petrol cost going up Everyday by a 1-2cents. Now, the fuel is getting expensive.

Btw, Raihan..someone told me that fuel in CA was about $4/gal. True ?
Old 26th April 2006, 11:58   #169
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raihan
Thats not true,almost every week there is a hike in gas prices. In California its >3$ per gallon.
3$ for almost 4 litres of feul is still ok... In Bangalore we would pay 203.Rs for the same amt of normal petrol
Old 26th April 2006, 14:10   #170
BHPian

AS some one mentioned, due to the elections around......i hope the fuel prices will not increase at least till that point.

if prices shoot upto rs.100/ltr due to the us-iran crisis, for a change our bangalore roads will be much less congested.

PS : because i will dump my car and start driving an electric scooter.....or may be 'electric reva'
Old 27th April 2006, 04:48   #171
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJK
Now that the summer is approaching, I see petrol cost going up Everyday by a 1-2cents. Now, the fuel is getting expensive.

Btw, Raihan..someone told me that fuel in CA was about $4/gal. True ?
Nope its not 4$ yet but its already hit 3.25 per gallon of regular as I speak. Its expected to reach 4$/gal during summer thou
Old 28th April 2006, 08:21   #172
BHPian

man i am going to fill up my car and bike...
well wont make much difference...
i already pay 51.xx for speed...in bangalore...
and 50.xx in hyderabad...
Old 28th April 2006, 09:56   #173
BHPian

1. First things first, All the Neta's and Sarkari Babu's should be stripped off their Lancers, Skoda's and Amby's and be given Hero Cycles.. Also people picking up Rath-Yatra's should pull their so-called Rath's using either Bullock's or Horses.. Or they should opt for Bicycle-Yatra's instead..

2. Secondly, Improve the Mass-transportation infrastructure and make it cheaper for the aam janata.. And NO, the Govt Babu's and Neta's should not be allowed to hitch a ride in the public Mass transportation. Let them stick to their bicycles..

3. Third Thing, Abolish all Car loans for people earning less than 5-7 Lacs per year. You spend 10% of the amount earned towards fuel expenses and maintenance already and on top of that people end up paying almost 20-25% of the earnings as EMI..

4. Fourth Thing, Encourage the use of Electric Cars, keeping in mind point # 3 above. Electricity is also generated from some form of fossil fuel and in this already depleting market, even electricity comes at a premium.. Ask the residents of Maharashtra (other than Mumbai of-course) who undergo a power-cut of 3 hours every day due to power-shortages in the state.. The day is not far, when all of us will go back to our pre-independance wick-lamp days..

5. Encourage the use of Bio-Diesel, Again not for the Neta's in point 1 & 2 above but for electricity generation and for Railways and for Mass Transportation..

Shortage of power is taking its toll on the American economy and foreign policy.. We do not want the same thing to happen to our country too.. So guys show some patriotism and embrace some form of public transportation.. The city of Mumbai is a favorite city to all Mumbaiites only because of its efficient administration and low cost public transportation.. Its time other cities and towns in India emulate the success story of Mumbai..

Cheers,
Manish

Last edited by man23ish : 28th April 2006 at 09:59.
Old 28th April 2006, 13:10   #174
RJK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by man23ish
2. Secondly, Improve the Mass-transportation infrastructure and make it cheaper for the aam janata.. And NO, the Govt Babu's and Neta's should not be allowed to hitch a ride in the public Mass transportation. Let them stick to their bicycles..

Both of them together not possible. Call me crazy but contrary to making it cheap, I think it should be made expensive so that people don't travel just for the heck of it.

3. You spend 10% of the amount earned towards fuel expenses and maintenance already and on top of that people end up paying almost 20-25% of the earnings as EMI..

Isn't that a matter of personal chooice?
My replies in bold...

Last edited by RJK : 28th April 2006 at 13:12.
Old 28th April 2006, 16:48   #175
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJK
Isn't that a matter of personal chooice?
Of-course it is a matter of personal choice, but a lot of our yuppies are being lured into buying cars by lucrative loans from almost all the banks, credit card companies and financial institutions.. Resulting in more cars on the roads.. Consequently increasing the fuel-consumption and burning a hole in self-economy as well as the nation's economy.. Have you ever been to a preowned-car dealerships promoted by banks.. 90% of those cars have been taken back by the banks on account of non-payment of loans.. Its time the government forms a concrete policy on the matter..

All i am saying is that the government should discourage the banks and other financial institutions to offer loans for buying vehicles.. Thus reducing the fuel-exchequer..

Look at what's happening to America.. Families going bankrupt.. Shouldn't we learn our lessons well in advance..

Last edited by man23ish : 28th April 2006 at 16:50.
Old 28th April 2006, 20:33   #176
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Abolish all Car loans for people earning less than 5-7 Lacs per year
I agree with RJK on this. It is a matter of personal choice and no one should stop the person from buying a car if he wants to. Tomorrow the rule may say you can't buy a V6 petrol because it takes too much fuel.

Another thing I would add to the politicians part is why the hell do they go everywhere in a convoy of 20 cars? That according to me is a bigger waste of fuel then anything else. Instead of stopping people from buying cars, stop these guys from self glorification. There should be 2 vehicles with every minister. One in front and one at the back. Even 2 is too much. Many PM's, ministers and mayors in western europe drive themselves forget about having a convoy of cars with them.

Lastly, I have always said this. In a country like India, why can't we use solar power to run our traffic lights , advertising neon signboards, display boards in train stations etc. Some more research and we could switch our public buses, taxi's and auto's on solar power too apart from CNG and LPG.
Old 28th April 2006, 21:35   #177
Senior - BHPian

What i am thinkign is going off to malaysia or singapore and drive a cycle.
and open a rikshaw stand there and earn money..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay
diesel increasing by 7.6 Rs/ litre, great... and i was thinking of giving off my santro and going for a diesel car.... i think i better buy a Reva... atleast current is cheaper compared to petrol/diesel.
Old 29th April 2006, 15:08   #178
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit
I agree with RJK on this. It is a matter of personal choice and no one should stop the person from buying a car if he wants to. Tomorrow the rule may say you can't buy a V6 petrol because it takes too much fuel.
Well, i was proposing India specific solutions.. V6-petrol should never come into the Indian market, coz the Neta's would be the first ones to lap them up..

Quote:
Another thing I would add to the politicians part is why the hell do they go everywhere in a convoy of 20 cars? That according to me is a bigger waste of fuel then anything else. Instead of stopping people from buying cars, stop these guys from self glorification. There should be 2 vehicles with every minister. One in front and one at the back. Even 2 is too much. Many PM's, ministers and mayors in western europe drive themselves forget about having a convoy of cars with them.
Yes, i already mentioned that we give them Hero Cycles are their official transportation system. Infact two Neta's should share one bicycle and travel double-seat take turns in pulling each other.

Quote:
Lastly, I have always said this. In a country like India, why can't we use solar power to run our traffic lights , advertising neon signboards, display boards in train stations etc. Some more research and we could switch our public buses, taxi's and auto's on solar power too apart from CNG and LPG.
Now, you are starting to make sense.. I agree, there are quite a few energy options in India and maybe we should start a seperate thread to list those out..

Cheers,
Manish
Old 1st May 2006, 13:42   #179
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Wellllll... sometimes politicians do find other ways to beat the fuel-wastage by their convoys. Yesterday's TOI, hydbd ed had a photograph of the CMs convoy of Safaris being driven on the wrong side of the road all along.

When a brouhaha broke out over this ludicrous road-rule violation by the CM himself it seems the CM's office released an official clarification that the convoy was being driven on the wrong side because that "shortcut" saved their convoy a 2km additional drive (many roads are either one way or else do not have a turn everywhere and hence the drivers need to keep driving till the next signal). This is particularly commendable and noteworthy as there were more than 6 safaris in t he convoy besides other offical vehicles and hence made for a lot of fuel saving.

So you see? Politicians are not always careless...
Old 1st May 2006, 13:43   #180
Team-BHP Support

By the way, today's Economic Times has it that IOC has already written to the government that the prices need to be hiked by at least Rs.10.50 per liter of petrol and diesel. Anything less will cause them to bleed all over their financial results sheet. :P

Another aside to this whole thing is that the government is mulling adding two more surcharges to the automotive and aviation turnbine fuels. Also, at least three different state governments are also planning to add a cess between 3 and 6% on the local sale prices to cover the under-recoveries from the last respective state budgets.

Last edited by Zappo : 1st May 2006 at 13:46.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks