Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st March 2017, 14:24   #5821
BANNED

Re: The Official Fuel Prices Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsun7 View Post
Even I was wondering the same, when neither the crude price, nor the Rupee value has changed so much, why such a steep hike on LPG. Could it be a new kind of cross subsidy? Higher margins on non subsidized LPG used elsewhere?
Very very likely. We have switched to PNG so this will only effect us indirectly. Remember PNG rates are guided by LPG and CNG prices.

Having been on PNG for about a month, I have two issues - the gas does not have any added smell, so the fire hazard is more, and also the Cooking Range, by and large does not light up with the spark. now I may change the range in a few months. It has done 16 plus years, so no real regrets.
Old 5th March 2017, 15:14   #5822
Senior - BHPian

Off-Topic

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
I have two issues - the gas does not have any added smell, so the fire hazard is more
I too recently got PNG at my home. PNG supplied by Mahanagar Gas Limited MGL does have a smell.

Quote:
Cooking Range, by and large does not light up with the spark.
Even I faced same issue. Reason is, pressure in PNG line is lesser compared to what is in LPG cylinder. So the volume is lesser.

Solution is to increase the diameter of gas stove nozzle for every burner. MGL did same during installation.
Old 5th March 2017, 15:29   #5823
BANNED

The jets were 'opened up' during the installation process. One other reason can be that while Natural Gas is lighter than air, LPG is heavier than air. So the gas will tend to flow differently. I am seeing a lot of the modern stoves and ranges having the ignitors inside the burners, instead of outside. Is it to cover this eventuality. I have got the table of preferred jet sizes, gas flow etc from Faber, which I had posted it in a WhatsApp group, on (8th November), when events overtook the post. You can see that the orifice size is quite a bit bigger for the Natural gas models.
Attached Thumbnails
The Official Fuel Prices Thread-img20161108wa0051.jpg  

Last edited by sgiitk : 5th March 2017 at 15:42.
sgiitk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th March 2017, 19:54   #5824
Distinguished - BHPian

Petrol up by Rs 3.78, diesel by Rs 1.70 as TN revises VAT.
Quote:
Following the hike, the petrol price had touched the Rs 75 mark in Chennai while additional costs like transportation would add a little more to rates in other cities.
ET

Last edited by volkman10 : 5th March 2017 at 19:57.
volkman10 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th March 2017, 20:06   #5825
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Petrol up by Rs 3.78, diesel by Rs 1.70 as TN revises VAT.

ET
The various TN political parties had been financing their freebies by liquor sales, but now that that avenue seems to be closing (due to their own political mess), it looks like they are resorting to fund it from fuel sales. Unlike with liquor sales (which at least had the fig leaf of being a 'vice' and hence psychologically more justifiable in people's minds even if it was still financing of freebies at the citizen's expense), this move will directly pinch the pocket of most average people.

Will people still remain stupid/delusional enough to not realize that nothing is free (except to politicians and their kin)?
chncar is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 5th March 2017, 21:19   #5826
Distinguished - BHPian

That is quite a steep hike in name of VAT. With the upcoming round of price revision post the Elections which will also most likely be an increase, the prices will really skyrocket for TN people.
Old 6th March 2017, 09:57   #5827
BANNED

@drmohitg; In fact I was quite intrigued at the prices in TN. Must have been the lower taxation. I also used to see a lot of TN cars in KA (if not PY). There were not that many KL plates around. So now they are catching up!
sgiitk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th March 2017, 11:31   #5828
Senior - BHPian

Hope the people of TN are now happy. They got what they wanted. Closure of TASMAC which leads to reduction in revenue which needs to be recuperated from some other means.

Hearing news about increase in price of milk and milk products. Electricity might come next as well (IMHO).

They deserve it since they voted for it.
SchumiFan is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 6th March 2017, 23:53   #5829
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
can see that the orifice size is quite a bit bigger for the Natural gas models.
Simply put the nozzle diameter is 50% bigger for natural gas compared to others. Even I have a Faber table top gas stove, will try sourcing PNG nozzles.
Old 7th March 2017, 08:04   #5830
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by el lobo 6061 View Post
Simply put the nozzle diameter is 50% bigger for natural gas compared to others. Even I have a Faber table top gas stove, will try sourcing PNG nozzles.
Agree. If you can find the nozzles at a decent price. The job done by the PNG installers is just a 'jugaad'. I think the nozzles are bored out too far.
Old 7th March 2017, 12:33   #5831
BHPian

Tanked up at BP Meenambakkam today. Speed Petrol costs Rs 76.96/-

There was some promotion campaign in the bunk and they were giving 'The Week' magazine for those filling Speed Petrol.
Old 13th March 2017, 13:31   #5832
Senior - BHPian

Saw this now.

Oil prices fall to three-month low as US rig count climbs

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/b...w/57615026.cms

Can we expect a reduction in price?

Last edited by pramodpk : 13th March 2017 at 13:33.
pramodpk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th March 2017, 15:12   #5833
BANNED

@pramodpk; Rumour has it that world prices may crash by about $8-10 per bbl. Let is watch and wait. The issue is that even if the centre cuts prices states will again hike taxes. Remember Petroleum products are not going to be under the GST.
Old 13th March 2017, 16:40   #5834
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodpk View Post
Saw this now.

Oil prices fall to three-month low as US rig count climbs

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/b...w/57615026.cms

Can we expect a reduction in price?
Hi Pramod, there is a strong possibility that the prices may come down but again with the elections over, the Govt. may just try to uptake their mop-up on excise. My strong feeling is that the price might come down by at least 50 ps-1 Re if not anything. Lets wait till 15th and see what happens.
sumzup is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th March 2017, 11:35   #5835
BANNED

Quote:
@pramodpk; Rumour has it that world prices may crash by about $8-10 per bbl. Let is watch and wait. The issue is that even if the centre cuts prices states will again hike taxes. Remember Petroleum products are not going to be under the GST.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sumzup View Post
Hi Pramod, there is a strong possibility that the prices may come down but again with the elections over, the Govt. may just try to uptake their mop-up on excise. My strong feeling is that the price might come down by at least 50 ps-1 Re if not anything. Lets wait till 15th and see what happens.
Another factor, the exchange rate is down below INR66 per dollar after a long time. remember with one or two $ rate hikes on the cards the once almighty $ is supposed to be firming up.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks