Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 23rd October 2008, 10:43   #76
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidindica View Post
no, he did not give any info on petrol but was tom-toming-sir, base models may get 1.4 FIRE and emotion/emotion+ models MAY get 1.4 T-jet.
With the launch scheduled anytime within the next 2 months, how can a company representative still talk in terms of the car MAY get a particular engine! With the launch 2 months away, the only thing happening must be fine tuning of production lines and not decisions on what engines and features to give the car. Unless, of course, the guy you spoke to isn't invovled much in the Linea project. In that case, why should we take anything he said about the car seriously?

I think it's better if we don't get our hopes too high on the basis of this thread. A 120bhp MJD Emotion+ cannot cost less then Rs.15 lacs. The car should be priced bang into Skoda Laura base model territory and/or about Rs.50K MORE then Honda Civic V. Going by the excitement on this thread, i feel sorry for Fiat. If they don't load the car as much as this thread claims they will, they are going to face the ire of people here for no fault of theirs.

Remember, guys, this news is not official. If the car doesn't turn up as loaded as this thread claims then we shouldn't flame Fiat for it. Let's be just to them and let us not let the over hype fail a perfectly capable car. I think it's better that we wait till December or let the company officially announce the variants , features and prices.

Last edited by amit : 23rd October 2008 at 10:51.
Old 23rd October 2008, 11:21   #77
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit View Post
With the launch scheduled anytime within the next 2 months, how can a company representative still talk in terms of the car MAY get a particular engine! With the launch 2 months away, the only thing happening must be fine tuning of production lines and not decisions on what engines and features to give the car. Unless, of course, the guy you spoke to isn't invovled much in the Linea project. In that case, why should we take anything he said about the car seriously?

I think it's better if we don't get our hopes too high on the basis of this thread. A 120bhp MJD Emotion+ cannot cost less then Rs.15 lacs. The car should be priced bang into Skoda Laura base model territory and/or about Rs.50K MORE then Honda Civic V. Going by the excitement on this thread, i feel sorry for Fiat. If they don't load the car as much as this thread claims they will, they are going to face the ire of people here for no fault of theirs.

Remember, guys, this news is not official. If the car doesn't turn up as loaded as this thread claims then we shouldn't flame Fiat for it. Let's be just to them and let us not let the over hype fail a perfectly capable car. I think it's better that we wait till December or let the company officially announce the variants , features and prices.

I have a confirmation from Rajeev Kapoor that the Linea would come with all features from its European version. Car will be launched before this year end.

I guess this will be worth the wait- Fiat hasnt launched the car in many markets yet; Few European countries & Brazil till now. Most of us here are comparing with New Honda City - but in Brazil comparisons are with Civic & Altis. So I really wonder if the price will be below 10 L. Probably between 8L to 12L covering all the variants...

I liked new Honda City.. but not the stripped down version of Thailand cousin when it comes to poor interiors and lack of expected Honda quality. Even exterior.. no fog lamps, crome handles, turn indicators on side mirrors... and many small have features have been omitted.

If they were on - new City and old Civic would have been in same league.

And I dont want to wait a anniversary edition to get these features.
Old 23rd October 2008, 12:17   #78
BHPian

Thank you sparkplug for sharing the confirmation. I'm keeping high expectations on the features and equipments. As I have always mentioned in all Linea threads, I don't mind paying a higher price for it if they do give all the features. Just launch it soon
Old 23rd October 2008, 12:22   #79
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkplug View Post
I have a confirmation from Rajeev Kapoor that the Linea would come with all features from its European version.
That's great news but at what prices? Surely a diesel Emotion+ cannot be priced at 10lacs OTR.

Last edited by amit : 23rd October 2008 at 12:24.
Old 23rd October 2008, 13:38   #80
BHPian

Quote:
That's great news but at what prices? Surely a diesel Emotion+ cannot be priced at 10lacs OTR.
Definietly Emotion+ will be cost more than 10lacs.We cannot compare this car with ANHC.I think the OTR will be 12.5lac for Emotion+.
Old 23rd October 2008, 14:09   #81
BHPian

At last, FIAT has announced a date , in fact a month for Linea launch.The Fiat India website now has a note mentioning "FIAT Linea coming to you in Dec 2008"

Come on FIAT, thanks for giving us a month, now waiting for a final date.
Old 23rd October 2008, 14:42   #82
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecherian View Post
At last, FIAT has announced a date , in fact a month for Linea launch.The Fiat India website now has a note mentioning "FIAT Linea coming to you in Dec 2008"

Come on FIAT, thanks for giving us a month, now waiting for a final date.
Jeez, yes just saw that. Wonder why they changed the date again.

Wasn't it earlier said that they'd launch during Diwali , and if I'm not mistaken Diwali is in October not December :-) And now 2 months later, LOL, this is a joke.
Thankfully they have mentioned Dec "2008" otherwise I'd have well expected it to be Y2009.
Old 23rd October 2008, 14:43   #83
BHPian

Oh sorry forgot to mention.

And mind you the December launch might be just a soft launch, with the actual deliveries of the vehicles only in Janaury for the 2009 manufactured date tag.
Old 23rd October 2008, 14:45   #84
BHPian

man that's late! I was looking forward to the Grande Punto in Jan - so I guess I can say bye-bye to my Grande Punto plans.

I have a friend in a TATA group company and they work on Fiat projects also - he told me once that the Grande Punto preperations were in full swing and much faster than the work on the Vista. After so many months, I wonder why Fiat has been wasting so much time in launching any of their cars.

The auto industry is in a slowdown phase - one of the reasons is people waiting for new launches. Imagine at the start of the year the Linea was scheduled for July, and the Gr. Punto for Oct! Now, the Linea is to be launched in december. That makes the wait for the GP totally not worth it.
Old 23rd October 2008, 14:51   #85
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecherian View Post
At last, FIAT has announced a date .
WOW FIAT has finally done it, I mean announcing date for Linea in itself is an achievement for those lousy FIAT officials.
Looking ahead to 31st Dec
Old 23rd October 2008, 15:05   #86
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHorse View Post
I mean announcing date for Linea in itself is an achievement for those lousy FIAT officials.
If Fiat doesn't annouce the launch, it is cursed, if it annouces the launch, it is still cursed!
Either ways, it is cursed!
Old 23rd October 2008, 15:37   #87
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by finneyp View Post
If Fiat doesn't annouce the launch, it is cursed, if it annouces the launch, it is still cursed!
Either ways, it is cursed!
was I cursing?? I thought it was sarcastic appreciation . But again till they launch Linea and I buy it, I'll keep on cursing them just because they have kept this beauty from indian ppl for such a looooooong time
Old 23rd October 2008, 15:37   #88
Senior - BHPian

If the soft launch is in Dec2008 and i suspect it to be end of dec then people will be able to see the car at end of jan and will get delivered by late feb or march start. Thats very very late!
Old 23rd October 2008, 15:53   #89
BHPian

Quote:
Nopes no update on the price. But positioning against Civic or Altis.. may be a mistake for Fiat. Its not a proven brand to compete against them. Max 10.5 L for onroad Emotion+ seems fine. Fiat India now need strong consumer acceptance.. and a crowd puller... proposition is right so better not mess with price .

And Fiat is finally keeping its promised. Rajeev did mention of launch by year end & also to check their website for linea details... they will have it up shortly
Old 23rd October 2008, 17:24   #90
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by autoenthusiast View Post
Wasn't it earlier said that they'd launch during Diwali , and if I'm not mistaken Diwali is in October not December :-) And now 2 months later, LOL, this is a joke.
I had already mentioned a Dec soft-launch in another thread a week back. Unfortunately I got dismissed as 'just another source'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
If the soft launch is in Dec2008 and i suspect it to be end of dec then people will be able to see the car at end of jan and will get delivered by late feb or march start. Thats very very late!
I doubt they'd do a Honda City stunt, i.e. soft launch the car and then ramp up production.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed