Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 20th November 2008, 14:16   #1
BHPian

Alto : Limited Edition variants (Xcite, Spice, Flash etc)

Just heard on a radio few minutes back. Maruti launched 'limited edition' of Alto i.e. Alto Flash. What I recollect hearing is body coloured bumpers, art leather seats amongst some other things.

First question comes into mind when a limited edition of relatively old model is launched now a days - Is it phasing out? Are they clearing stocks? Can't say, very unlikely that Alto will be phased out. But coinciding time with A Star launch makes one think. And Maruti Alto Flash - Maruti Splash, I was confused for a moment while hearing the ad.
Old 20th November 2008, 14:19   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

These "limited editions" are an Indian car manufacturer's trait, not to be found in any other developed country. Its the same set of "exclusive" features such as body-colored bumpers/mirrors that reinvent themselves as the Alto X-fun, Alto Flash, Santra Limited Edition etc.
Old 20th November 2008, 14:28   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAG
These "limited editions" are an Indian car manufacturer's trait, not to be found in any other developed country.
You're incorrect.
Ford is notorious worldwide for their "limited editions". You should check out how many editions they made out of the Ford Orion in the UK.
Old 20th November 2008, 15:14   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous View Post
You're incorrect.
Ford is notorious worldwide for their "limited editions". You should check out how many editions they made out of the Ford Orion in the UK.
Atleast they dint put PVC Leather seat covers and MP3 Players to call it a Sport/Limited Edition
Old 20th November 2008, 17:55   #5
BHPian

Will the limited edititon come up with new engine etchnology or will it only be a revamped version.
Old 20th November 2008, 18:53   #6
BHPian

New engine technology in a car that's going to be phased out in a few weeks??
It's just cosmetic, and if you bargain right, you can pick up an Alto for a STEAL!!

Last edited by Nitronium : 20th November 2008 at 18:56.
Old 20th November 2008, 19:38   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitronium
New engine technology in a car that's going to be phased out in a few weeks??
What phase out?
How can you think a car that sells 15,000 to 20,000 units per month would be phased out?
Old 20th November 2008, 20:05   #8
BHPian

Actually the A-Star should have been a replacement for the Alto rather than an addition to Maruti's fleet. Alto is more of a cash cow for Maruti as it sells even more than the 800. Ideally they should eradicate the 800 and push the Alto down in it's place and let the A-Star fill-in the Alto's slot but we all know that is not going to happen as Maruti strongly believes that all their models can co-exist peacefully. Besides, Maruti has always been the master of using one engine over several models and experimenting with adding a few glamour touches to revive interest in their cars. I am glad that at the least the A-Star comes in with a newer engine though personally I prefer the new Suzuki Cervo'2009.

Personally, I would pay that price difference and buy the Hyundai i10 Kappa over the A-Star.
Old 20th November 2008, 20:13   #9
BHPian

Apologies.

I meant with the A-star around the corner, they wouldn't bother changing anything about the winning formula of the Alto, maybe throw in a few Seat covers or such.

The A-star however will bite a sizable amount out of the Alto's sales i'm sure, especially during times like this when people are looking towards lower segments.
Old 20th November 2008, 20:15   #10
gpa
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous View Post
How can you think a car that sells 15,000 to 20,000 units per month would be phased out?
I agree with nitrous. I don't think that MUL will stop production of the existing Alto, this keeping in mind that they are launching a new version of the Alto which will hit showrooms soon. The new Alto is positioned at a different segment car altogether and it might take some more time for MUL to phase out the existing Alto.

Any other thoughts on this guys?

Cheers,
gpa
Old 20th November 2008, 20:32   #11
BHPian

Well even i thought so that with the launch of A-Star the present Alto would be phased out. But i dont see this happening atleast in the near future. After seeing the specs of the A-Star in the newspapers today there is no chance atall that Alto would be discontinued. A-Star is launched in altogether a different segment, may be an answer to the Hyundai's I10 or to the Chevrolet Spark. Besides Alto is doing very well, and is a very decent car for city use. If anything that needs to be phased out; is the M800. I think Alto has pretty much affected the sales of M800.
Old 20th November 2008, 20:49   #12
Senior - BHPian

xFun was there in 2006. Yawn
Old 20th November 2008, 21:00   #13
BHPian

Details of "Limited Edition" on website Maruti Alto - features include colored wheel caps too!
Old 20th November 2008, 21:18   #14
BHPian

The xFun limited edition Alto is anytime better than the now introduced limited edition Alto Flash, IMO. The simple LXi variant is more appealing to me, though.
Old 20th November 2008, 21:51   #15
BHPian

Alto wont be phased out, when they still have decent sales for the car and also the A star is priced no where near to it to have any competition.

Still they are selling maruti 800

Most Viewed