Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th January 2009, 01:25   #106
Senior - BHPian

Hyundai has done a great job with the Sonata Transform interior and the ride quality has been greatly improved. The stylists could have taken a few risks and really transformed this car. Overall, a great improvement over the older version.
Attached Thumbnails
Sonata facelift w/ new interior: now called Sonata 'Transform'-chennai-254-large.jpg  

Sonata facelift w/ new interior: now called Sonata 'Transform'-chennai-249-large.jpg  

Sonata facelift w/ new interior: now called Sonata 'Transform'-chennai-252-large.jpg  

Old 27th January 2009, 01:30   #107
BHPian

nice pics nick!!

m falling in love with this car. esp the diesel auto. hope to TD this beauty soon.
Old 27th January 2009, 01:41   #108
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ancer View Post
nishant what does a 2nd hand Embera go for now days?was looking at buying the Hyundai Sonata Embera 2.0 CRDi AT ? don't have a high budget, just sold my sonata gold V6 , yeah seems like im a sonata fan , but will only consider the embera if its worth it!
Ancer: From what I know, the car will loose about 4.5 Lacs within an year. Thus you should be able to find a good bargain for the CRDI manual around the 10 Lacs range for a Jan 08 model. The AT should be about 10.5.
Old 27th January 2009, 14:16   #109
BHPian

Autocar's review of the new Transform

:: AUTOCAR INDIA - CAR AND BIKE MAGAZINE ::
First Drive: Hyundai Sonata Transform

Hyundai has given the 5th generation Sonata a new voice. Now called the Sonata Transform (the Embera name has been discontinued), the car builds on the strengths of the old Sonata wile improving on its weaknesses. The biggest letdown on the Embera was it’s less than luxurious interiors. The Transform gets a new dashboard, one that can now match rivals like the Accord on quality and design.

It is obvious that a lot of work has gone into making the cabin feel luxurious and practical. The black and beige colours used and look good, feel nice to touch and even the wood paneling looks upmarket. There are enough cubbyholes and storage spaces, although the front bottle holders do get in the way of your elbow when you shift gears. The Transform also gets dual zone climate control and the diesel automatic version gets a keyless entry and go system (like on the Mitsubishi Outlander). There are no rear air-con vents though. Overall, the interiors are hugely improved over the old car.

Step out, and you’ll see quite a few changes to the exteriors too. There’s the new front end but the effort here is less impressive than the interiors. The bigger grille, headlights and the new bumper makes it look more grown up, but less muscular and more forgettable.

There’s not much change at the rear, with just minor changes to the tail light design. New design alloys wheels complete the exterior upgrade. For power, it retains the Embera’s power-plants with a few changes. The 2.4-litre variable vale timing petrol engine gets 10bhp more thanks to a variable intake system and camshaft phasing on both intake and exhaust cams (the Embera had phasing only on the intake camshaft). The 2.0-litre CRDi gets 8bhp more thanks to a reprogrammed ECU. Hyundai is offering three variants – the petrol comes only with a 5-speed manual (Rs 14.9 lakh), the diesel gets a six-speed manual (Rs 15.9 lakh) or a four-speed automatic option (Rs 16.9 lakh).

At these prices, the Sonata is a deal. Its nearest competitor, the Honda Accord is substantially more expensive and doesn’t have a diesel option. We drove the diesel manual and automatic versions. The engine is refined for the most part and in the manual, it is quick. Rev it and it gets noisy, and the turbo-lag it posses below 2000rpm can get irritating in traffic. But, on the highway, the top three gears are all you’ll need. It pulls strongly, the shift and clutch action is light and overtaking is a cinch. The Auto is not so impressive. It behaves like an old school automatic, shifting up every time you lift off the throttle, which is a little unnerving in corners.

The Transform retains the Sonata’s strengths – the diesel’s long-legged highway cruising ability, its super absorbent ride and its cavernous interior dimensions are what you would have bought the earlier Sonata for. The Transform one adds improved interiors to this list.

Yes, it may not offer the same driving pleasure as an Accord, or the badge snobbery either, but for sheer space, comfort and price, it’s hard to beat the Embera Transform’s combination.
Old 27th January 2009, 16:02   #110
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangaraj View Post
Yes, it may not offer the same driving pleasure as an Accord, or the badge snobbery either
Driving pleasure? On an ACCORD?
Old 27th January 2009, 17:44   #111
BHPian

Saar, Not everybody can afford a Jag.

In the Accord , Camry, Sonata category, the accord is the best drivers car- no doubt
Old 27th January 2009, 17:48   #112
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prabhuav View Post
In the Accord , Camry, Sonata category, the accord is the best drivers car- no doubt
Nope. The Accord is wafty at high speeds. Between the Accord and the Camry I feel more secure in a Camry.

You might want to revisit the Sonata test drive, too.

The best driver's car could have been the Laura but it lacks punch.
Old 27th January 2009, 18:22   #113
BHPian

Quote:
Saar, Not everybody can afford a Jag.

I now for the past 3 weeks drive an 2009 accord. Just did 2000kms. Touched 195km speed but felt a bit jittery at that speed. It is a decent , comfortabel family /executive sedan. Yet it is not driver's car.

I was driving a Mitsubishi Gallant 2.4 for over 2 years and did 68K and I had a great pleasure driving the Gallant. Crisp it was! Honda Accord is best behaved uncle's car
Old 28th January 2009, 11:51   #114
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
Nope. The Accord is wafty at high speeds. Between the Accord and the Camry I feel more secure in a Camry.

You might want to revisit the Sonata test drive, too.

The best driver's car could have been the Laura but it lacks punch.
You mean the Laura does not have enough pick-up? Well, I travelled in Raveendra's Laura last Sunday, and found it had terrific power.
I haven't travelled on an Accord or a Camry (except in the US long back), so I cannot comment. Sonata Embera I have. I feel Laura has better punch and road manners than the Embera. The Embera scores on space however.
Old 28th January 2009, 12:36   #115
Senior - BHPian

I touch around 190 kmph on the camry on the highways on a regular basis and its pretty stable at that speed.Tried the same on the accord and the car felt really light and not really that stable.The laura is definately more planted then the accord although it takes its time to reach speeds after 160kmph.Embera is a lovely highway car.after 120 kmph the car really goes.However none of them beat the superb.very good grip and very stable and the v6 diesel is a stonker.
Old 28th January 2009, 13:06   #116
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
I would agree with Vijay here, the Accord is a much better car to drive than the Camry. I found the Camry incredibly lazy & uninspiring to drive.
Old 28th January 2009, 14:25   #117
BHPian

Aha - the gulf version seems to be setup way different. My experiences are from the US version and there the Accord is better
Old 28th January 2009, 14:43   #118
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Aha - the gulf version seems to be setup way different. My experiences are from the US version and there the Accord is better
I dont think it is - we get US spec too, not the Euro.

The Accord may make some exciting noises while accelerating and the acceleration itself may be slightly better than that of the Camry, but when it comes to cruising or high speeds the Camry is definitely much more confidence inspiring. It also sounds a lot less strained and effort free while doing so. You can be doing 190-200 in a Camry and still 'feel' a bit slower than you would on an Accord.

The Accord is very iffy at speeds over 140-150 kmph. May not make much of a difference in India where you dont get to those speeds, still the Camry is a much more confident ride at speeds over 100 kmph.

I wouldnt call the Camry a 'driver's car', but calling the Accord one does make the Camry more eligible to the title.

Remember that e're comparing to generic sedans here and neither of them are particularly inspiring to drive. Between the two, I'd prefer the Camry with my eyes closed.

Last edited by Steeroid : 28th January 2009 at 14:44.
Old 28th January 2009, 15:42   #119
BHPian

Accord and Camry.. this thread had been hijacked? lol what about sonata at 200 kmph?

Last edited by Gangsta : 28th January 2009 at 15:44.
Old 28th January 2009, 16:12   #120
BHPian

Aha - I missed the higher than 150km part. Where in the name of god can one expect to drive at that speeds in the US .. 130 is about max you can do without getting jailed :( .
My feeling on the US spec Camry was this it was waaaaaay to detached from what was happening on the road, where as the Accord gave ample feedback and responded much better to driver inputs. But have not crossed 130 in either out there.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks