Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th January 2009, 18:07   #16
Senior - BHPian

Virajpet to irrty is the road you guys are talking about. Vehicles are not being allowed to ply on this stretch and this will be repaired hopefully by the year end. Tenders have been called for this stretch
Old 16th January 2009, 18:12   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
Not to forget the road from Ramanthapuram to Tuticorin via Sikkal and Kizhakarai, in TN, which was full of pot holes, the entire 100 kms I drove on it.
This road is now being four laned as part of the ECR program. Last time I went there, it looks like a runway until Erwadi and work is going on for the stretch from there.

P.S : I studied at the Mohamed Sathak Engineering College on the right side after the turnoff at Kilakarai towards Tuticorin.
Old 16th January 2009, 18:28   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSMINC View Post
My choice is the State Highway road between Virajpet(Coorg) to Kerala border towards Kannur.
the road is ok on the kerala side.
To travel from kerala border point to Virajpet, a distance of 16kms, I took 4hours.
Now that I think about it, walking would have taken me faster
I had once travelled on this road, it took me 3 hrs by Innova, believe me this is the worst road I have ever travelled.
Old 16th January 2009, 23:33   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayan View Post
Arent the condition of roads changing ? I mean bad raods today might be better tomorow and vice versa. So it might be a a bit misleading ..

anyway my 2 cents - around 5km stretch from Poonamalle highroad ( Lanson toyota ) towards Sriperumbudur was quite bad a year back
I live @ Annanagar, very close to this spot and this road hasn't improved at all in the past 1 year. It is still a horrible road to drive through especially during rains. I had once spent 2 hours to cross 4 Kms in this stretch. Now the worst thing is that there is not going to be any improvement because of the elevated tollway coming up from maduravoyal to Chennai port.
Old 17th January 2009, 05:08   #20
Senior - BHPian

my vote goes to Virajpet(KA)-Kannur(KL) road

road is pretty decent at Kerala side, but Karnataka side...oh boy..real adventure
Old 17th January 2009, 12:55   #21
srh
BHPian

My choice is the stretch between Manor and Mumbai last monsoon (a toll road!!)
Second choice is the stretch between Karwar and Hubli (ruined by trucks used by miners)
The stretch between Chitradurga and Haveri on Bangalore - Pune road
Old 17th January 2009, 13:01   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tazmaan View Post
The worst roads I have driven has to be the Mumbai to Vapi Highway during the last monsoon (only maharashtra part, Gujarat part was makhan). I Can recall I was driving my esteem which was grounded at least 30 odd times. I ended with a broken muffler and damaged rear wheel bearing. I also lost both my front mud flaps.

I remember seeing trucks with broken axels all along the road it seemed like a war zone. The roads were so bad that the toll booth had to shut shop for a month or so as everyone refused to pay toll because of the bad roads. This entire episode was in the news as well.

The road typically is a nice road with two lane highway and one can do 100 plus speeds on it. I guess there was some enquiry as well on the contractor but hey we live in India so by the time he gets punished (i.e. if) for his shabby work I might barely be able to read.
i agree. Last time i went from wapi to Silvassa after monsoon it was like i landed upon moon with lot of craters and that too big ones( the auto i was travelling in seemed like coming out of one crater and getting into another one..) quite a horrible ride . it was like doing 3 types of yoga asanaa at one time !!!
Old 17th January 2009, 13:41   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayan View Post
anyway my 2 cents - around 5km stretch from Poonamalle highroad ( Lanson toyota ) towards Sriperumbudur was quite bad a year back
It has gone from Bad to Worse in stretches..

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruiser_1982 View Post
. Now the worst thing is that there is not going to be any improvement because of the elevated tollway coming up from maduravoyal to Chennai port.
Are you sure? That elavated port stuff was planned in 1997 when HMIL was opened. I doubt it will happen.

And arent they 6 laning the stretch from Koyambedu to Vanagaram [ORR]?
Old 17th January 2009, 14:44   #24
BHPian

here are the few pictures i clicked from my mobile while on way to baddi.
well From Pinjore (Haryana) To Baddi(Himachal) this is a national highway and its a Central Govt Project.
As many of you are aware Baddi is Special Economic Zone and its around 60 odd kms from Chandigarh. So people daily commute on this stretch.From Chandigarh to Pinjore (also known as killer highway) already work is in progress(it took them more than 5 years to realize its not a safe highway to be on). But From Pinjore to Baddi and then to Nalagarh there is no clue as to when the govt. will wake up and do something. You will find occassional P.W.D truck standing on road side with stones to fill up the patches.
This stretch is a nightmare for daily commuters and it sometimes take more than 4 hours just to reach from baddi to chandigarh.
Attached Thumbnails
India's Worst Road-30122008717.jpg  

India's Worst Road-30122008718.jpg  

India's Worst Road-30122008720.jpg  

India's Worst Road-30122008715.jpg  

Old 17th January 2009, 14:56   #25
Senior - BHPian

In all my driving around, the most shocking and bad road was NH63 from Bellary in Karnataka to Gooty in AP (where it joins NH7) - I did this ~80km stretch in 2005, so can't talk of current conditions.
There was absolutely no road at all for the full distance (forget the National tag to it) - only 1st or 2nd gear drive for 90% of the stretch. I did this close to midnight (on the way back from Hampi), and would have seen a total of < 20 vehicles either way throughout! Rather scary if one had a breakdown, because the Lancer took an unbelievable degree of pounding from the broken, stone strewn road surface.
Man, was I relieved to finally hit NH7 and something worthy of the tag 'National Highway'.

Last edited by lancer_rit : 17th January 2009 at 14:57.
Old 17th January 2009, 15:01   #26
BHPian

Come on guys,
we need more nominations for India's Worst Road.
Virajpet-Kanur stretch, Kaza and Gramphu & Mumbai-Vapi seems to be the top contenders.
We Indians always seem to complain about our road conditions, hence let us have more choices, come out with your favourite worst road
Old 17th January 2009, 15:06   #27
BHPian

There is one road which goes to Mumbai from Kalyan/Dombivli now it has improved very much,it was the worst patch of 15 Kms ,the road was so bad even some times my office bus use to bottom on that road and now the current road which goes to panvel from mumbra NH4 road the potholes are so huge in size,as big as a car length.
Old 17th January 2009, 15:42   #28
Senior - BHPian

When I mentioned Kaza - Gramphu via Kunzom pass, the above would be an example of a better part of the road. A few kms out of Kaza are great tho. If I remember correctly, this stretch is outside the BROs purview.
More pics:

At the top of the Kunzom pass itself the surface is easy enough, the downhill after that and the "road" (which you sometimes have to "deduce" from extrapolations of your path and the next bend) is amazingly pretty and horrid at the same time. Bone chilling winds don't help either
Old 17th January 2009, 16:17   #29
BHPian

Most Kerala roads I hear is quite bad? Narrow and full of pot holes thanks to the monsoons all year long...
Old 17th January 2009, 21:14   #30
Senior - BHPian

chandigarh to baddi road is a nightmare.It's worst than horse riding.You'll keep jumping on your seat.And the average speed of vehicles is like 10kph.Horrible!May be one of the worst roads in India.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks