Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Larger step forward?
Vista 187 60.52%
Xylo 122 39.48%
Voters: 309. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 4th February 2009, 14:10   #76
BHPian

I found the interiors of the Vista much better than the Xylo! Also there quite a few pieces on the Xylo which felt like they wont last another 100 kms. No such issues on the Vista though. Ofcourse a few bits could have been better finished. But that is about it. Nothing fell apart.

The handling of Vista is not so inspiring (comfortable though). But the Xylo is almost like a boat. I had driven one among the first units. But I was too surprised that I assumed it was an exceptionally screwed up vehicle. Unfortunately I am wrong! I understand a 7 seater would not handle like a hatchback. But then I have driven around a Winger for fun too. It did not shock me this much and it seats even more!

Vista might be too familiar. But if the trade-off is a overall pleasant design, I would select that over the awkwardness of the Xylo.

The Xylo is going to be a success. Its pricing compensates for everything else. But as a all new vehicle from Mahindra it frankly disappoints.

Last edited by Trapezio : 4th February 2009 at 14:24.
Old 4th February 2009, 14:30   #77
Team-BHP Support

I have refrained from voting as i havent test driven both these vehicles.

I checked out the Vista and liked what i saw. Didnt get the time to even check out the Xylo.
Old 4th February 2009, 14:57   #78

My vote goes to the Vista hands down. As a complete package, it seems a lot more refined and progressive as compared to the other Tatas in the market. As far as the Xylo's concerned, the first time I saw it, the only thought that came to my mind was "what were they thinking?!!!". With all due respect to the M&M designers, I genuinely think that the Xylo is extremely bad when it comes to the looks department. Think about it, Mahindra is capable of coming out with decent if not very handsome cars, as a matter of fact, the Scorpio has a fan following of its own in the looks department. And I have seen the Xylo in metal, and its by far the ugliest car that has ever ridden on the Indian roads.

Well other than that, like I said, as far as I understand, the poll is about which of the two cars are the future of the Indian auto industry. Brownie points of M&M for developing their engine? Agreed. But you cannot take the same away from Tata, outsourcing an engine during this era of globalisation is completely justified. And as i gather from GTO's post, the Vista is doing its job quite well. Also at the risk of sounding repetitive, I completely agree with GTO, I would consider the Vista over the Getz or the Swift, but I really doubt if I would take a look at the Xylo when the Innova, Scorpio and Safari are my options.
Old 4th February 2009, 16:30   #79
BHPian

Haven't TDed the Vista hence cannot comment on it. However have owned an Indigo and have been living with one or the other issue with this car since having purchased it 20 months back and do not think that Vista would be a hyper-reliable vehicle as compared to its previous Gen avtaar ; bad A** not withstanding

Did TD the Xylo in the weekend ; found the body roll and the hard gear change to be the issues with the vehicle; however it still did remind me of my minivan and i found it as a sincere attempt to create a minivan market in India laudable -- hence voted for the Xylo.
Old 4th February 2009, 17:02   #80
BHPian

Its true that Mahindra Xylo have proved to be one of the toughest competitor of Tata Indica Vista. But I personally feel that Indica will take over the game because it is one of the oldest player in the industry. Vista is the newest generation of Indica that is designed with all the latest technologies and features. Even Xylo do have but then what will take Vista up is the price tag of both the cars. What say?
Old 4th February 2009, 18:34   #81

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanopano View Post
Its true that Mahindra Xylo have proved to be one of the toughest competitor of Tata Indica Vista. But I personally feel that Indica will take over the game because it is one of the oldest player in the industry. Vista is the newest generation of Indica that is designed with all the latest technologies and features. Even Xylo do have but then what will take Vista up is the price tag of both the cars. What say?
Sorry. But how are Xylo and Vista even competing with each other?
One's a MPV while the other's a hatch. Would you please care to elaborate?
Old 5th February 2009, 01:12   #82
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by civic.sense View Post
Sorry. But how are Xylo and Vista even competing with each other?
One's a MPV while the other's a hatch. Would you please care to elaborate?
This is not a head to head comparison. Both the Vista and the Xylo are being compared to find out which one of these is a step ahead in terms of improvement by our Indian manufacturers. They specs and body styles have nothing to do with this.
Old 5th February 2009, 09:19   #83
Senior - BHPian

i have voted for the xylo because of:
1) Staggering Price
2) roomy interiors and very useable third row
3) great engine in terms of fuel efficiency & driveability

xylo is strictly a MUV, i dont care a damn how it looks (infact it is ugly!). it is meant to be a people mover & it does this job amazingly well. the engine is not as refined as the mHawk but it is more refined than its actual competitors.

i feel with the xylo, mahindra has definitely raised the bar for a entry-level MUV, if you can call it that! and if a humble indian company can threaten the sales of the japanese giant- toyota, i feel it indeed is a big big leap for the company.

i did not vote for the vista because:
1) styling is carried over from the indica
2) engine is sourced from FIAT
3) vista is not a 'big' leap forward from the indica

i really liked the headlamps of the vista but for a car priced at 5.5 lakhs, i feel it should have better looks, especially when its competition is the swift & i10. the engine is one of the best around and though i agree that in this era of globalization, its not a big deal to source engines, here we are talking about the manufacturer's prowess & technological leap & so we should give entire credit to mahindra as it is competing with its 'own' engine.

i would like to clarify that vista looks better than the xylo but since vista is an expensive hatchback, i expect more from it & since XYLO is an inexpensive MUV, i expect less from it.... ONLY IN TERMS OF STYLING THOUGH! the reason for this is that people who spend such amount for a hatchback expects a better styled vehicle, atleast I do!
Old 5th February 2009, 09:35   #84
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
i really liked the headlamps of the vista but for a car priced at 5.5 lakhs, i feel it should have better looks, especially when its competition is the swift & i10. the engine is one of the best around and though i agree that in this era of globalization, its not a big deal to source engines, here we are talking about the manufacturer's prowess & technological leap & so we should give entire credit to mahindra as it is competing with its 'own' engine.
Raj...Indica Vista starts at 3.38 lakhs in Delhi! The top end with Quadra stops at 5.04 lakhs (both Delhi prices). Its a lot cheaper than you think!

Both Tata and Mahindra outsource their developments quite heavily. I mean both of them relied on AVL for their engines to start with. Majority of the outsourcing jobs will be never known due to confidentiality clauses. Moreover in this day and age its quite an accepted practise. I mean we have entire indutries here than run on that concept! A normal enthusiast might never guage accurately how much in a vehicle comes from the manufacturer. The simpler approach is perhaps how much a customer receives and how good it is.
Old 5th February 2009, 18:07   #85
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trapezio View Post
Raj...Indica Vista starts at 3.38 lakhs in Delhi! The top end with Quadra stops at 5.04 lakhs (both Delhi prices). Its a lot cheaper than you think!

Both Tata and Mahindra outsource their developments quite heavily. I mean both of them relied on AVL for their engines to start with. Majority of the outsourcing jobs will be never known due to confidentiality clauses. Moreover in this day and age its quite an accepted practise. I mean we have entire indutries here than run on that concept! A normal enthusiast might never guage accurately how much in a vehicle comes from the manufacturer. The simpler approach is perhaps how much a customer receives and how good it is.
yes buddy, but i have compared the top end variants of both. obviously i am not interested in the TDi (older indica's) engine with the vista body!

as i said, i am fine with manufacturers outsourcing components or engines but since here we are discussing the manufacturer's ability to make better products, i have given mahindra extra marks as they have used their own engine in the xylo. moreover, when it comes to engine, IMHO mahindra is always a step ahead of TATA. (that is my personal opinion so i am not intending a debate on this!)

Last edited by raj_5004 : 5th February 2009 at 18:08.
Old 5th February 2009, 18:40   #86
BHPian

Quote:
as i said, i am fine with manufacturers outsourcing components or engines but since here we are discussing the manufacturer's ability to make better products, i have given mahindra extra marks as they have used their own engine in the xylo. moreover, when it comes to engine, IMHO mahindra is always a step ahead of TATA. (that is my personal opinion so i am not intending a debate on this!)
Point taken...

My humble suggestion is that if an component/piece/aspect of a vehicle is good does not mean that that manufacturer is good in that. Often the good pieces of news are selectively released by a manufacturer for PR reasons. Eg: Lotus tuned the suspension. But say if one unknown P&P (for example) had developed it you and me would not have known about it. In simple words products are not accurate examples of a manufacturer's engineering power. This industry is too shrewd for that!

The irony of it all is that manufacturers outsource things which they are weak in! If somebody is strong in something he would not seek help in normal circumstances (although its seldom as simple as that).

Last edited by Trapezio : 5th February 2009 at 18:47.
Old 5th February 2009, 19:52   #87
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trapezio View Post
Point taken...

My humble suggestion is that if an component/piece/aspect of a vehicle is good does not mean that that manufacturer is good in that. Often the good pieces of news are selectively released by a manufacturer for PR reasons. Eg: Lotus tuned the suspension. But say if one unknown P&P (for example) had developed it you and me would not have known about it. In simple words products are not accurate examples of a manufacturer's engineering power. This industry is too shrewd for that!

The irony of it all is that manufacturers outsource things which they are weak in! If somebody is strong in something he would not seek help in normal circumstances (although its seldom as simple as that).
very valid point. but then this applies to both manufacturers.

when we are doing a comparo, we will obviously select the one better of the two, even if the selected one is not the BEST, i hope you got my point.

mahindra may have outsorced some engine components from P&P, as you say, but atleast i can say the mEagle engine is mahindra's effort. without the right engineering, correct components or vendors, i dont think they can make a good engine. i cant say the same about the multijet engine.
Old 5th February 2009, 21:38   #88
BHPian

Mah vote goes to Vista. Purely based on GTO's question of who has taken a bigger step forward. MM have taken have a step forward on their own legs. Tata have taken two steps forward, albeit on crutches.

End result? For us customers, it makes more sense to upgrade from a first gen Indica to the new Vista, than from a first gen Scorpio to the new Xylo.
Old 5th February 2009, 22:33   #89
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
very valid point. but then this applies to both manufacturers.

when we are doing a comparo, we will obviously select the one better of the two, even if the selected one is not the BEST, i hope you got my point.

mahindra may have outsorced some engine components from P&P, as you say, but atleast i can say the mEagle engine is mahindra's effort. without the right engineering, correct components or vendors, i dont think they can make a good engine. i cant say the same about the multijet engine.
Raj I would suggest you talk to some engineer working in Bosch on Mahindra project to find out how much of the engine development/tuning is Mahindras effort , Yes some one in mahindra selected AVL and Bosch out of list of vendors and made them work together . Some times it so happens
that you reach one vendor and they suggest others also known as 'consultancy' in industry terminology

Last edited by amitk26 : 5th February 2009 at 22:34.
Old 6th February 2009, 13:49   #90
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
Raj I would suggest you talk to some engineer working in Bosch on Mahindra project to find out how much of the engine development/tuning is Mahindras effort , Yes some one in mahindra selected AVL and Bosch out of list of vendors and made them work together . Some times it so happens that you reach one vendor and they suggest others also known as 'consultancy' in industry terminology
Thats the point. In this day and age we will never know who developed what. Tata was good enough to say it was Fiat engine. Maruti did not even bother to do that! So perhaps its much easier to judge by the product.

But as Raj said Mahindra's mHawk is impressive in its own right. No doubt about it. But it might be some poor souls somewhere else who might have toiled on it.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks