Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 1st July 2010, 08:20   #646
BHPian

Been a scorpio fan since the day it was launched till the day I test drove it a few weeks back. Always wanted to own one, but the cramped interiors with zero tolerance for movement for someone as tall as i am, always made me give it a second thought. I was even ready to give it another chance to prove itself until I came across this thread.
SRK, lovely rendering job. I wish the end product does look as you imagined.
Looking at the scoop pics, am sure there is going to be enough space like in the Safari. With a price tag of ard 12-14L , am sure this one is going to pull a lot of crowd.
All that I can hope now is that M&M unleashes this monster as early as possible.
Old 1st July 2010, 11:35   #647
BHPian

Called up the Mahindra toll free number to know more about this, they in turn asked the local dealer to get in touch with me. His version of the story is that it is due for a Diwali launch. Not very sure if you can trust the dealer, I am sure somebody from this forum might be knowing people in M & M can they vet this timeline.
Old 1st July 2010, 12:51   #648
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranc View Post
Called up the Mahindra toll free number to know more about this, they in turn asked the local dealer to get in touch with me. His version of the story is that it is due for a Diwali launch. Not very sure if you can trust the dealer, I am sure somebody from this forum might be knowing people in M & M can they vet this timeline.
Wow thats some news. I believe we do have M&M guys in house. A few of them are busy with the Thar
Old 1st July 2010, 15:51   #649
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
i agree about the better braking & suspension but better engine? i think mHawk is the best engine in that segment. much more refined, driveable (nil turbo lag & an enthusiastic throttle response) & a good performer overall compared to the innova & safari.

i have heard that the mHawk engine was detuned to 120 bhp from 140 bhp in the scorpio due to gearbox issues. i have also read in ACI that mahindra is developing a new range of gearboxes which can handle more power & will be smoother to operate. so i wont be sad at all if the world SUV comes with the mHawk engine itself, but with atleast 150 bhp.
The ride and the handling quality of the m-hawk or old scorpi on high speeds is pathetic, it though gives the feel of good handling but on uneven roads the thing is never on the ground, I went to leh on my friends m-hawk, you want believe the steeing above 110 was fishing in the air, i was so scared, though i never had the same feeling in my scoprio a version before the m-hawk.

Good they have reduced the bhp cos the body doesnot support so much of power, in its current avataar its all over the place.

Worst is to be on the back seat, going to leh in scorpio was so painful and especially the return trip as we had taken the manali route which was ll dug up with stones, avg speed 12-15km per hr, the guys in the back were wanting to jump of the car.. this is where the innova scores, though the looks and the engine is not something very inviting, but if you talking comfort with handling, overall it is a great buy.

Last edited by The Saint : 1st July 2010 at 15:57.
Old 1st July 2010, 20:54   #650
Senior - BHPian

^^^ again you are talking about the handling! i do agree that the handling is bad but not as bad as you mentioned. it is quite stable at 120 kmph but i disagreed on the engine & not the handling.

i was talking about the engine driveability, refinement & acceleration.
Old 2nd July 2010, 10:16   #651
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zteg View Post
Been a scorpio fan since the day it was launched till the day I test drove it a few weeks back. Always wanted to own one, but the cramped interiors with zero tolerance for movement for someone as tall as i am, always made me give it a second thought. I was even ready to give it another chance to prove itself until I came across this thread.
SRK, lovely rendering job. I wish the end product does look as you imagined.
Looking at the scoop pics, am sure there is going to be enough space like in the Safari. With a price tag of ard 12-14L , am sure this one is going to pull a lot of crowd.
All that I can hope now is that M&M unleashes this monster as early as possible.
I was almost like you, frequently taking test drives (whenever they change a bit in the vehicle since their launch) till they launched the refreshed Scorpio in 2009. I had space issues in the middle row. BUT, It is no more an SUV with cramped interiors.
I am 184" and I feel I get the bet driving position and very comfortable in the front rows. The middle row is like any other SUVs (or little lesser, But not worst as you think).
I recommend 7 seater with side facing seats in the rear, which gives a plenty of luggage space too. You also need to agree that Scorpio is very easy to drive within the city due to such space management , Innova and Safari will not be friendly within the city.
Once It was loaded with 6 adults and kids, on the highway, no one made any complaints about the space.

Last edited by agbenny : 2nd July 2010 at 10:18.
Old 2nd July 2010, 10:35   #652
Senior - BHPian

Somewhere i feel many actually have test driven the older scorpios- the pre-mHawk ones & are drawing conclusions based on that, no complains to those who have driven the mHawk. i have a few of my friends who have never bothered to sit in a scorpio (it being a "mahindra" & all that), forget driving it! but one short spin in it's driver's seat made them fall in love with the car, no exaggeration. some have actually made comments like "i cant believe this is a mahindra" & one such guy is an innova owner who never bothered to test drive the scorpio & safari before his purchase.

i do agree about the ride & handling of the older scorpios, it was a boat. but the scorpio have come a long way after that. the ride is now much more comfortable & the handling more reassuring if driven at sane speeds. also, the braking, now with ABS, is very good. of course, i wont compare it to the innova which is the segment best in ride & handling because of its low C.G & toyota expertise.

Last edited by raj_5004 : 2nd July 2010 at 10:37.
Old 2nd July 2010, 10:54   #653
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by agbenny View Post
I am 184" and I feel I get the bet driving position and very comfortable in the front rows. The middle row is like any other SUVs (or little lesser, But not worst as you think).
You also need to agree that Scorpio is very easy to drive within the city due to such space management , Innova and Safari will not be friendly within the city.
Once It was loaded with 6 adults and kids, on the highway, no one made any complaints about the space.
Quote:
Somewhere i feel many actually have test driven the older scorpios- the pre-mHawk ones & are drawing conclusions based on that, no complains to those who have driven the mHawk. i have a few of my friends who have never bothered to sit in a scorpio (it being a "mahindra" & all that), forget driving it! but one short spin in it's driver's seat made them fall in love with the car, no exaggeration. some have actually made comments like "i cant believe this is a mahindra" & one such guy is an innova owner who never bothered to test drive the scorpio & safari before his purchase.
@benny, Raj,
I test drove the mhawk refresh recently. I totally agree with you regarding the ride and handling. I liked everything about it, except the fact that i was not comfortable in the drivers seat. My arms kept rubbing against the door trims. I couldnt even reach for the seat adjust lever.
Like I said I am a die hard fan and even today I look at every scorpio on road and dream of the day when I own one.

Anyways guys, sorry for the scorpio comments on this thread. Back to the world SUV guys

Last edited by zteg : 2nd July 2010 at 10:55.
Old 3rd July 2010, 10:45   #654
BHPian

Quote:
i agree about the better braking & suspension but better engine? i think mHawk is the best engine in that segment. much more refined, driveable (nil turbo lag & an enthusiastic throttle response) & a good performer overall compared to the innova & safari.

i have heard that the mHawk engine was detuned to 120 bhp from 140 bhp in the scorpio due to gearbox issues. i have also read in ACI that mahindra is developing a new range of gearboxes which can handle more power & will be smoother to operate. so i wont be sad at all if the world SUV comes with the mHawk engine itself, but with atleast 150 bhp.
raj, one more advantage of using the mhawk is that all the niggling problems that come with a new engine would've already been sorted out by the time the W201 hits the showrooms. would make the engine much more reliable than when the first range of mhawk scorpios was launched.
Old 3rd July 2010, 12:43   #655
Senior - BHPian

yes, though i believe mahindra makes great & reliable engines & gearboxes, all the issues if any should be sorted out by now.

my mHawk was among the initial scorpios sold & never had any engine issues. but i have heard that some older mHawks had this issue of excessive oil consumption.
Old 3rd July 2010, 12:59   #656
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Saint View Post
The ride and the handling quality of the m-hawk or old scorpi on high speeds is pathetic, it though gives the feel of good handling but on uneven roads the thing is never on the ground, I went to leh on my friends m-hawk, you want believe the steeing above 110 was fishing in the air, i was so scared, though i never had the same feeling in my scoprio a version before the m-hawk.
I have to disagree with you completely on this one. Having driven my m-hawk refersh for about 10K miles now, I am very confident of speeds in the 120kmph mark. I go above that only when I get a clear stretch of highway. On my last trip to kerala from chennai, I was consistently over the 140 kmph mark from chennai to trichy.
Old 3rd July 2010, 14:05   #657
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
I have to disagree with you completely on this one. Having driven my m-hawk refersh for about 10K miles now, I am very confident of speeds in the 120kmph mark. I go above that only when I get a clear stretch of highway. On my last trip to kerala from chennai, I was consistently over the 140 kmph mark from Chennai to trichy.
I agree with you. Till 120 the vehicle is good and very much in control but anything above 120 is not recommended. it just goes the other way and becomes highly unstable. Even a small bump or patches will make you feel scary.

You must have been comfortable in chennai-trichy stretch because the roads are still in good shape. try the same in vellore - krishnagiri stretch and you would agree with me.
Old 3rd July 2010, 17:32   #658
Senior - BHPian

The saint, Having driven both the leaf springs version(Crde SLX) and mHawk- I can say that mHawk has a lot improved driving controls at high speeds, relatively. The body roll has decreased a lot and at 120+ kmph I feel mHawk handles predictably, unlike its predecessor.

I am sure that M&M would work on all these fronts for its W201. Eager to see the design too.

Last edited by getsurya : 3rd July 2010 at 17:37.
Old 3rd July 2010, 21:36   #659
Distinguished - BHPian

I drive a Scorpio M-hawk, i have driven previous versions a lot. The Handling has improved a lot, the VLX feels much more in control compared to the previous versions. The Ride at front in VLX is better than SLX by a big margin. The biggest improvement are the brakes, they may sound low tech on paper specs with no EBD and just 3 channel ABS but on the road they perform really well and perfectly calibrated.

Overall the Ride is not that bad, The Verna at rear is much more uncomfortable. Its the soft setup that makes spoils the composure at uneven patches, otherwise the Suspension with long travel and soft setup soaks up bad roads quite well. The High speed stability is very good, this SUV feels at home on the expressways until you avoid sharp steering inputs.
Old 3rd July 2010, 22:15   #660
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
I drive a Scorpio M-hawk, i have driven previous versions a lot. .....

Overall the Ride is not that bad, The Verna at rear is much more uncomfortable. Its the soft setup that makes spoils the composure at uneven patches, otherwise the Suspension with long travel and soft setup soaks up bad roads quite well. The High speed stability is very good, this SUV feels at home on the expressways until you avoid sharp steering inputs.

I would concur with most of what you said. However, I haven't extensively driven the previous version.

That being said, I felt differently about the "sharp steering inputs", in fact, I felt that the steering was completely lifeless and was in fact worse than the Xylo (can't think of a reason other than over inflated tires playing a part). I was driving at close to a ton, and was changing lanes (it wasn't a sharp steering input), and the car gave me a scare and I actually backed on the accelerator.

The ride on the other hand, was quite good, even at the back (feedback from the passengers)
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks