Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 14th September 2010, 22:02   #841
BHPian

Might not be new/unknown but the SUV is expected in calender year 2011.

Link: M&M to review pricing scenario, no price hike likely in Sep - CNBC-TV18 -

We had spoken about an SUV launch in the calendar year 2011. We still haven’t announced a specific date, but it will be in the calendar year 2011.
Old 16th September 2010, 00:33   #842
BHPian

I dint SPOT any car, I TEST DROVE it in MAHINDRA CITY, and you can check my previous posts for my report on a detailed test drive of the Mahindra code named W201.

Yes it is an AWD which means All Wheel Drive, it would only have a 4WD switch if it was a 4WD not an AWD. That is the difference between AWD and 4WD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by av8er View Post
Hi Last week I was called by a person working for a research company (this person had apparently taken my survey when I bought my new car).

He told me that Mahindra was launching a new vehicle and they wanted people to test drive it to see what they can do to improve it by comparing it with otha models.

To the scene- It was in the Mahindra city and upon reaching there we learnt that it as just a survey for testing the seats as they are still working on the seats for the final production vehicle.

The cars for testing were - Toyota Innova, Chevrolet Captiva and the Mahindra W201. The Hyundai Santa fe was there but then someone had run the car over a bump at high speed and the clutch was now gone (well that was the reason given to us).

Now the test-

First was the Captiva - this I am sure a lot of people know about and is the tried and tested vehicle here.

Second the Innova - again tried and tested.

Third was the W201 - First impression from outside was WOW, awesome design, huge grill and WIDE tyres. The front bonnet was nice and sloping and the lights were completely something new thats ever seen on a Mahindra.

Get inside and the first thing noticeable is the fit and finish a complete disappointment but then again we were told that this is a pre production car and its just meant for testing so we have to wait and see how the real production car is going to be. The Interior design though was really eye catching. Especially the Ac vents which were a kinda of star shaped or Pentagon shaped which I have never seen before in any car. The speedo and the Rev counter had a nice touch to them. Right in the center of the speedo dial was the fuel gauge in digital form and the in the center of the rev counter was the temp gauge again in digital form.

The seats were wide and comfy compared to the Captiva which I felt was a bit narrow after driving the W201.

The Drive-

Turn the ignition and there are a host of lights that come up and you realise it has lights for ABS, ESP, Traction Control, and Airbags for both driver and passenger. Though I am not sure if these were working as I said this was a pre production vehicle.

The noise from outside was loud but that is also because we were inside a building which looked like a production line.

Anyway release the clutch and the vehicle moves quite well and smooth. Oh ya I realised when slotting into the first gear that the car has 6 forward and 1 reverse gear.

Getting out of the building and we were asked to go around like and obstacle course and I pushed the vehicle and it stayed planted on the road during a curve at 80+ speeds, I dint get the point of the 6th gear as I could put it into 6th only after I crossed 120kmph. The car felt good enough to reach 100 in about 15secs. This is approx figure as I couldnt get to take my watch to test it. Over bumps it really felt better than riding the Captiva over it but in pick up and refinement the captiva was ahead of the w201.

Once we reached back I got a chance to look under the hood of the w201 and I realised it was a transversely mounted engine meaning which its an AWD also I am not sure about this but I think its a 5cylinder engine. They had a provision to install a camera in the sides and under the chassis probably to record the vehicle movements over bumps.

Over I felt the vehicle is a good package if the fit and finish is improved. The vehicle dint loose out on power even once and it looked to be oround 150bhp though I am not sure of the figures.

If priced well when launched Mahindra Definitely has another winner in its hands.

P.s. I got some pics but dont know how to upload them. Can someone please help, thanks.
Please refer to this message and messages posted by me after this for further clarification.

Last edited by GTO : 16th September 2010 at 19:47. Reason: Merging both posts for visibility
Old 16th September 2010, 02:03   #843
BHPian

its huge and nice. though interior colors should be better on the production model if they want to go anywhere in the 11L+ market
Old 16th September 2010, 09:39   #844
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
is there a switch to disable the AWD, like in the Aria?
Quote:
Yes it is an AWD which means All Wheel Drive, it would only have a 4WD switch if it was a 4WD not an AWD. That is the difference between AWD and 4WD.
I was talking about a switch like in the Aria to disable the AWD. Just in case, you are doing city runs & dont need AWD, you can save some money on fuel bills!!!
Old 16th September 2010, 09:48   #845
BHPian

Quote:
An All Wheel Drive (AWD) is quite simply the 4 WD engaged all the time (so you can't select 4WD to 2WD). It requires an central differential.

Whereas, an 4WD is part-time, you can select between 4WD / 2WD as per the road conditions.

An AWD is advantageous in On road handling, but loses torque due to wheel slippage & so need a Traction control system & a central differential locking for employing them in slippery conditions (like snow, slurry, etc.)
Old 17th September 2010, 13:25   #846
BHPian

www.cartradeindia.com has a new article on the World SUV. It is good to seem the article give credit to BHPians for spoting of the test vehicle.

URL to the actual source: Mahindra World SUV Launch Next Year | CarTradeIndia.com

Cheers,
Old 21st September 2010, 22:12   #847
Senior - BHPian

Seats from Xylo, Poor plastics again (see handbrake), Oops they need to go way long to reach global quality.
Old 21st September 2010, 22:33   #848
Senior - BHPian

This W201 (or whichever name they will choose at the time of the launch) seems to be going to that newly created segment. They will try to compete with the sub18L SUVs from other players in India (same thing as Aria!!).
Do you guys think that M&M will reduce the price for Scorpio a little ahead of launching this (how Tata did with Safari!)?
Old 22nd September 2010, 15:55   #849
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Scorpio price was revised downwards with the Refreshed Scorpio version when they made the 2.2 mhawk standard across the range. The guys who bought the first generation VLX with the 2.2 Mhawk paid a high price.
Old 22nd September 2010, 17:18   #850
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
Scorpio price was revised downwards with the Refreshed Scorpio version when they made the 2.2 mhawk standard across the range. The guys who bought the first generation VLX with the 2.2 Mhawk paid a high price.
for example, raj_5004!

Mahindra not only reduced the price, but also added electrical ORVMs & a new instrument console. to add insult to the injury, the facelift looks better too. most importantly, we dint have the option of 4x4 or automatic.

i still dont understand for what have i paid a premium.

yes, one thing i think is in favour of us is the pre-refresh models are claimed to have a slightly better build quality. i am not assuming this, but these are my small observations from some reports on this forum & also from a small chat with mahindra's technicians!
Old 23rd September 2010, 09:52   #851
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I was talking about a switch like in the Aria to disable the AWD. Just in case, you are doing city runs & dont need AWD, you can save some money on fuel bills!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by rajess_in View Post
An All Wheel Drive (AWD) is quite simply the 4 WD engaged all the time (so you can't select 4WD to 2WD). It requires an central differential.

Whereas, an 4WD is part-time, you can select between 4WD / 2WD as per the road conditions.
I was sure about this but chose not to argue. is Aria a 4x4 or an AWD?

AWD can be switched off in the Aria. Look at the below pic, it clearly shows a button which states 4x2.

i hope even the mahindra SUV has this provision.
Attached Thumbnails
New Mahindra SUV for 2011 - Pics on Pg. 109 *UPDATE* XUV500 launched at 10.8 lakhs-59335_10150091824264552_609639551_7411318_8061984_n.jpg  

Last edited by raj_5004 : 23rd September 2010 at 10:03.
Old 23rd September 2010, 10:40   #852
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

AWD Systems can have the option to be switched off. It depends on the manufacturers choice.
Old 23rd September 2010, 11:06   #853
BHPian

Quote:
I was sure about this but chose not to argue. is Aria a 4x4 or an AWD?

AWD can be switched off in the Aria. Look at the below pic, it clearly shows a button which states 4x2.

i hope even the mahindra SUV has this provision.
You are right that some AWDs' do have a switch for only Front Wheel Drive - Central Diff Lock & AWD modes. Refer below attd. image of the Suzuki SX4 (European) AWD switch!

New Mahindra SUV for 2011 - Pics on Pg. 109 *UPDATE* XUV500 launched at 10.8 lakhs-ag_07sx4_4wdswitch.jpg

May be the Mahindra SUV has an AWD with auto traction control system (something seen in VW Touareg - the 4XMOTION)

Not sure of the switch in Aria though. Will try to enquire.
Old 23rd September 2010, 11:15   #854
BHPian

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : Please do NOT post one-liners that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the overall quality of this forum.

Please read our rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by GTO : 24th September 2010 at 10:38.
Antonian is offline   Received Infraction
Old 8th October 2010, 19:41   #855
mxx
BHPian

guys, I saw the pic of the new mahindra suv in one of the auto mags (current edition). If any of you have this mag, please scan and post the pic
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks