Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 4th December 2009, 09:52   #121
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ac 427 View Post

VW’s strategy in the compact segment, according to Garg, would be launching variants of the Polo initially. “Later, we would consider launching other VW brands, as long as there’s demand in the market. We hope to sell around 30,000 units in 2010. Then, by 2014, we hope to cross the 100,000 mark, by which time the car market in India would have crossed two million units.” Garg added the VW Golf, another compact car brand, will not be launched in the country until 2010.
Shall we wait for the Golf instead? We might at least get what we pay for!
Old 4th December 2009, 10:37   #122
BHPian

Skoda has commenced production of a new four-cylinder engine which will be shared between itself, Audi, Volkswagen and Seat.
The all-new 1.2-litre design is a supercharged, direct fuel injection unit capable of producing 77kW and will carry the TSI (Turbo Stratified Injection) family name.
Skoda BOD chairman, Reinhard Jung, said the engine was designed specifically to minimise CO2 emissions and fuel consumption.

This from here:
http://www.caradvice.com.au/48153/sk...-audi-seat-vw/

So if Skoda can do it, I don't see what this whole VW hangup is about getting this engine here.
I'm waiting for a Fabia with this engine! In Elegance trim one could get reverse sensors, a sun roof, projector lamps, and a 1.2 TSi. Who needs VW, eh??
Old 4th December 2009, 10:52   #123
BHPian

Funny thing is - other than speculations and Industry observers comments and our auto magazine "experts" - I have never read ANY statement from the VW stable insiders that what engine they will release and what they will not.

All they have told is "We will make competitive cars in range of Swift, i20". Or something of that sort. Just basing it, we people come up with Price Tag, Engine Specs, Accessories. And also "Who needs VW, eh??"

Lets give VW a chance i feel. Once the car specs are announced along with the price tag - we can do VW bashing or praising. Till then, can someone get the insider scoop? The real one i mean.
Old 4th December 2009, 17:51   #124
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrmanju1 View Post
Funny thing is - other than speculations and Industry observers comments and our auto magazine "experts" - I have never read ANY statement from the VW stable insiders that what engine they will release and what they will not.

All they have told is "We will make competitive cars in range of Swift, i20". Or something of that sort. Just basing it, we people come up with Price Tag, Engine Specs, Accessories. And also "Who needs VW, eh??"

Lets give VW a chance i feel. Once the car specs are announced along with the price tag - we can do VW bashing or praising. Till then, can someone get the insider scoop? The real one i mean.
Sure, and if you take the time going through the entire thread, and other related ones, you might also find that the ones doing the "bashing" are the ones who were the biggest fans from very early on! If we were not emotionally involved, we would have waited till the full page ad to wake up and smell the VW coffee, or more likely, not given a toss.

Speculation will of course be taken with a grain of salt, but from the revelation of the new Polo in March of this year, time and water has flown under the bridge. It will be a year from then till the time it starts rolling out to the dealerships here.

Industry observers "observe"! So do we constructively unemployed. Take a look at the spy pics and the like of India spec mules and you can see where things are getting disappointing.

We know for a fact that the 1.2 TSI is too expensive, and too complex for this country because the list prices for the top of the line spec abroad with this engine is around 13.5 lakhs and there are issues with DSG gearboxes the world over.
We know for a fact the LED indicators on the OVRM have gone. We know for a fact that the launch engine will be a 1.2 HTP because that is what everyone else is getting too! We know we wont get a winter package. We can infer that if VW is targetting the Swift and i20, they wont give us a touch screen nav package that is next seen on a group car that is 10 lakhs dearer.

The Swift-i20 range covers anything from 4 odd lakhs to around 8 lakhs. And for that 8 lakhs, you get a sun roof, electrically folding mirrors, and an auto box on the Asta. Hats off to the optimist who expects to see features like this on the Polo at a comparable price.

Finally, the title of this thread is not "Indian" Volkswagen Polo revealed.
Since it is not, we are free to speculate because of the discrepancies between the "New" Polo and what we are beginning to see of the "Indian" Polo. ( where Indian spirit meets German engineering~ something like the Mumbai spirit, perhaps, or is it the we-will-accept-anything-you-give-us-because-we-believe-only-in-destiny and not free will?)

Think back to other recent launches. We knew what was coming with the Linea, and it did; ditto the Punto; the same goes for the Jazz. There was no speculation besides price. Spy pics revealed exteriors and interiors in line with international versions. But spy pics in THIS case are NOT revealing things in line with international versions. What reason could there be to remove the one saving grace on an otherwise butt-ugly rear (pardon the pun) and replace it with this? There is no comparable headlight cluster to what is on the Indian mule either in ANY international market. We should be proud of our uniqueness!

When the Indian Polo is revealed, of course we will sing or sling (brickbats).Until then~ unfortunately~ we speculate!
Old 4th December 2009, 20:00   #125
BHPian

china?

rather than looking at whats available in the UK etc, IMHO we should check what range of engines, what features and what prices the polo sports in China.
Old 5th December 2009, 12:26   #126
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carZest View Post
rather than looking at whats available in the UK etc, IMHO we should check what range of engines, what features and what prices the polo sports in China.
VW China only has the old polo on the site, but that itself offered in three variants including an estate.

But a better measure of the league they are in comes "from the fact that from 2009 to 2012, Volkswagen Group China will launch no less than 20 new models in China with many of them debuted or launched there. In the 2009 Guangzhou Auto Show, the revised Tiguan was premiered there. Volkswagen Group's China sales grew 37 percent year-on-year to 1.06 million cars in the first three quarters of this year, already surpassing the 1.02 million units sold in all of 2008."
The New Golf has been booked by more than 15,000 buyers, 70 percent of them opting for a 1.4-liter TSI engine. Some 60 percent also took the DSG transmission." (source: VW Group China unveils masterplan - People's Daily Online)

Management thinks they are on track to hit their 2 million unit/ year target set for 2018 well ahead of schedule.

So, when the Chinese do get the New Polo, they will probably get better choices than we do, because they are a more lucrative market than we are. The site already lists models like the Golf, R36, Passat CC and more~ have you seen comparable listings on VW India?

Last edited by crackingride : 5th December 2009 at 12:28.
Old 5th December 2009, 13:16   #127
BHPian

Indian VW site is pathetic. Haven't compared with other desi car websites. Probably have to do with Internet penetration in India. New Polo - other than UK, any idea where else it is launched?
Old 5th December 2009, 13:27   #128
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by crackingride View Post
The New Golf has been booked by more than 15,000 buyers, 70 percent of them opting for a 1.4-liter TSI engine. Some 60 percent also took the DSG transmission." (source: VW Group China unveils masterplan - People's Daily Online)
Slightly off topic, but the 1.4 TSI with DSG is retailing in China for around 11,27,000 INR, (possibly before taxes) so at that price it makes very good sense for a 130 BHP New-gen Golf.
Old 5th December 2009, 19:52   #129
BHPian

Crackingride, i tried looking at the Chinese Website. Cant read Cantonese or Mandarin. Where do i get to see the English version of VW website? Need to look at the Gen 4 Polo available in China and also the Polo Sedan version. (Heard Polo Sedan is offered in China)
Old 8th December 2009, 00:55   #130
BHPian

Cardekho has a comprehensive review on VW POLO

Volkswagen Polo in India - Volkswagen Polo Price, Volkswagen Polo Reviews |CarDekho.com

Note from Mod : Team-BHP's VW Polo Testdrive report has been uploaded at this linky. Please continue the discussion over on that thread.

This thread = closed.

Last edited by GTO : 27th February 2010 at 01:05. Reason: Adding thread closure note
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks