Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 8th May 2010, 17:33   #136
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MihirC View Post
Guys we are going OT here. Any update on the launch of TATA Prima???? Guys at the dealerships do not have the slightest idea about this car. A certain few mentioned the probable engines to be plonked in the prima would be the Tjet, the 1.6 MJD or the detuned and despecced 2.2ltr diesel. A revert from the tata team did mention a 2011 launch with a 2ltr engine.

Any reliable sources who can confirm this??
Ratan Tata is using this car personally, may be he is not quite done with the testing. As soon as he approves the car, it might be launched.
Old 9th May 2010, 01:20   #137
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranc View Post
Ratan Tata is using this car personally, may be he is not quite done with the testing. As soon as he approves the car, it might be launched.
Wow, I am not trying to counter question you but if that really is the case then its simply awesome. Also I wonder where must he be testing/driving the car, im sure it wont be on road.Thanks
Old 9th May 2010, 14:06   #138
BHPian

From What I have heard Mr.Ratan Tata uses Tata vehicles for his own use. Even heard a Tata Engineer tell me he used to travel in an Indigo Marina for quite sometime which he used to drive on his own too.

Imagine an Indigo Marina with custom interiors, climate control, ABS, Traction Control and the whole Bling of an S-class inside.

That would be fun to see.
Old 9th May 2010, 16:36   #139
BHPian

The worst part is I have tried high and low everywhere to find info on the car but cant find any.I guess its well kept under wraps. Hey VCash anything from your end??
Old 9th May 2010, 17:53   #140
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by av8er View Post
From What I have heard Mr.Ratan Tata uses Tata vehicles for his own use. Even heard a Tata Engineer tell me he used to travel in an Indigo Marina for quite sometime which he used to drive on his own too.

Imagine an Indigo Marina with custom interiors, climate control, ABS, Traction Control and the whole Bling of an S-class inside.

That would be fun to see.
If I remember correctly, the only modification he did was to replace the seats in the back with mattresses so that his dogs can be comfortable.
Old 9th May 2010, 18:15   #141
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anmol2k4 View Post
If I remember correctly, the only modification he did was to replace the seats in the back with mattresses so that his dogs can be comfortable.
Looking at these, I am now rethinking if I should sell my old Marina
Anyway, I dont see a prospective buyer yet !!!

Prem.
Old 13th September 2010, 15:07   #142
BHPian

Well sadly in an interview Mr. Ratan Tata has informed that the Prima concept is too old to use now and they will be working on an extended Manza platform if required(AC Sept 10) Such a beautiful sedan, once again gone to the pits.

Wouldnt have minded paying 10L for a Prima with a 2700mm+ wheel base with a 2.2 decor diesel or 1.4 Tjet.

Last edited by MihirC : 13th September 2010 at 15:12.
Old 13th September 2010, 16:11   #143
BHPian

Too bad. The Prima concept was a stunning looker. Even if was old, they could have perhaps reduced the price & sold it as a basic sedan along with the other old timers.
With those looks, it could easily compete with say an Ikon or Accent.
Old 13th September 2010, 16:18   #144
Distinguished - BHPian

Note from Moderator: As it is clear by the recent statement given by Mr.Ratan Tata, the Prima project is scrapped. Closing the thread.
Old 11th November 2010, 03:07   #145
BHPian

Tata Motors plans premium sedan

Two years after it acquired the iconic British carmaker Jaguar Land Rover, the country’s third-largest car manufacturer Tata Motors has firmed up plans to enter the premium sedan category dominated by the Hondas, Skodas and the Audis.

The proposed sedan, which would be the most expensive car from the company’s portfolio, would be developed with the help from engineers of Jaguar Land Rover.

Last month the company launched the Aria, which has been promoted as a cross between an SUV and a sedan, is currently the most expensive car from the company’s portfolio at roughly Rs 15.5 lakh.

Though no tentative price points for the car has been shared yet, sources told FE that the company wanted to leverage the technology of JLR to penetrate deeper into the premium car market.

The company is also looking to climb up the value chain and give its customers an opportunity to simultaneously climb up the price chain as well. “Tata Motors has the wherewithal to enter the category. It could be seen in the context of a completely new branding strategy from the company,” the source said.

“One segment where we are going to see more cars from Tata Motors is the sedan category,” the source said.

He explained the company was seeking to be an end-to-end player in the sedan segment, offering cars from sub Rs 1- lakh to Rs 25 lakh plus.

Currently, the company has started preliminary work on developing a new platform, which would roll out a refurbished Indigo followed by another sedan.

When contacted, the company spokesperson said, “Tata Motors does not give guidance on its product plans.”

Auto analyst with the Angel Broking Vaishali Jajoo said the Rs 18-22 lakh category was growing every month and Tata Motors could use its network to create a foothold in this category.

“They acquired JLR not merely to take over their sales. With the technology of JLR, it makes sense for Tata Motors to leverage it and enter the premium sedan segment,” she said.

Leader of automotive practice at PricewaterhouseCoopers Abdul Majeed added that the aim of the company was to be an end-to-end auto player. “Tata Motors wants to be present across product segments. From a Nano to premium sedan, that is the strategy they are following,” he said.

At present the premium sedan category contributes less than 2% to the overall passenger car market sales.

In October the segment sold a total of 1,452units – a growth of 28% from October last year when it sold 1,129 units. Skoda Superb is the market leader in this category with its October sales of 420 units

source -Tata Motors plans premium sedan
Old 11th November 2010, 10:25   #146
BHPian

Tata Prima

This premium sedan might be a Tata Prima which they have showed us at Geneva Motor Show 2009, along with Tata Nano Europa & Tata Indica Vista EV. They have also showcased it at this year's Auto Expo, earlier this year in New Delhi. This premium seems to be having some roots from Jaguar, who is now a Tata Group Company.
Here are some details about Prima:
The Tata Prima, the concept luxury sedan designed by Pininfarina, is an iteration of the next generation luxury sedan from Tata Motors. It combines the fundamental design characteristics of the Tata brand, as seen in the Tata Indigo, with sporty curvatures to create a coupe-like silhouette, simple yet refined with an inherent premium.
Tata Prima’s large wheelbase of 2.70 metres endows it with excellent interior space that a luxury sedan demands. The subtle treatment of the C pillar, the hallmark of a Pininfarina design’s gracefulness and sporty characteristic, brings forth a coupe-like sloped cabin and tapering back without compromising interior space. The result is that the Tata Prima concept exudes an overall elegance, endowed with style, luxury and comfort and proportions that are classical yet modern.
Here are some pics:
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Prima - Luxury Sedan-tataprimasedanindia.jpg  

Tata Prima - Luxury Sedan-tataprimasedanindiaside.jpg  

Tata Prima - Luxury Sedan-tataprimasedanindiarear.jpg  

dhrishikesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th November 2010, 11:43   #147
Senior - BHPian

In an interview to Autocar, Ratan Tata had said that plans for Prima have been shelved, because they feel that its design will be too dated (by the time it reaches the production stage).

Trying to find which issue it was and the exact quote.
Old 11th November 2010, 12:16   #148
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashutoshb View Post
In an interview to Autocar, Ratan Tata had said that plans for Prima have been shelved, because they feel that its design will be too dated (by the time it reaches the production stage).

Yup, you are absolutely right. I have a subscription to ACI and remember reading about this. Anyway, the PRIMA shown here does not have the looks to be a 15lac+ car IMO
Old 11th November 2010, 13:43   #149
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashutoshb View Post

So according to Mr Tata, Manza looks contemporary? Actually, Prima should have been the Manza, on which it is based. Did anyone notice Prima's dashboard? It's a straight lift from the Manza. I'm sure there are many other similarities too.
Old 11th November 2010, 14:36   #150
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by directinjection View Post
So according to Mr Tata, Manza looks contemporary?
At that price range i.e 5 to 7lac, Manza does look good. Where as Prima sedan does not look like a 15lac+ car. Just by looks of it, to me it looks like a 8-10lac worth sedan.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks