Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 4th March 2009, 10:51   #46
BHPian

I liked the design. The head lamps and the grille have obviously evolved from the current Vista design. Though going upscale, Tatas had an opportunity to evolve its own design language. Too many of their cars have been associated with models of other makes. Thats a disappointment.
Even under the Concept guise, it looks production ready. There are hardly any design cues that are over the top. Now the only thing remains is for Tata to put it in production and not make a mess with their Quality control.
Old 4th March 2009, 10:53   #47
BHPian

Well a lot has been said about how this concept looks and how original it seems, I don't think I'll comment on that. About the the need for such a car when they have Jaguar? We have to acknowledge one fact without being critical, it is only in India that we view cars like the Camry and Accord as luxury cars, elsewhere they are are middle level family cars. Tata wants to break into Europe and other markets, but it can't be taken seriously with what it offers in its portfolio right now, the Vista is probable the only car that can make a case for itself, but even then it needs to have some rough edges sorted out. I think Tata more than anyone else will agree to the fact that they need to up their game in terms of interior fit and finsh; and the overall quality of the car. With the Vista it seems that they have taken a huge leap; and I think most people will agree that this is in a business that they still relatively new to. Going by that one can hope that they will take another similar step forward when they are ready with the Pr1ma.

Here's the link to Pininfarina's take on their creation:

Pininfarina | Tata Pr1ma
Old 4th March 2009, 11:38   #48
xPK
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
Doesn't it look like a frightened, crouching, tail between the legs puppy. It has no road presence at all. Does not look like it can move.
Don't worry about the movement. TATA have never bothered to make vehicles displayed "move" on the road.

It's always like presenting new body kits in every show. (If people will buy those body kits is some different question)
Old 4th March 2009, 11:47   #49
Senior - BHPian

Looks awsome except the front grille.. design wise looks to be a winner for our Market.. but where is this going to get positined.? is it for competing with Civic/Corolla or Accord Camry?
Old 4th March 2009, 11:48   #50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
The pity is that we will NEVER get to see lines (shut or otherwise) this perfect in any of their production vehicles unless they stop building to a price. The other issue is that the market now EXPECTS them to build to a price and deliver at an even lower price. They need a re-positioning and IMHO the only way they an reposition is to take a hit on their margins and build quality into the priceband they are in. Once they have built up a reputation for quality I am sure they can slowly increase their prices to more realistic levels and nobody will actually complain.
Isn't Maruti 800 the world's cheapest car right now?
Maruti too operates in roughly the same price band. Maruti too builds to a price. Yet, it delivers superior quality.

It doesn't necessarily cost more to give better quality. According to some, it actually costs less. The fault probably lies somewhere else. It could be with TM's production processes, supervision techniques, human relations, or something else that we outsiders can only guess. But yes, something is seriously wrong with TM's QC. TM needs to undertake a thorough revamp of its QC techniques and processes - hire consultants, experts, management gurus, pull up suppliers, whatever - if it has to survive in the long run.

Quote:
Originally Posted by da_lowrider View Post

Pininfarina | Tata Pr1ma
Thanks for the link da_lowrider. Those pics look awesome.
The car looks great but for the regular grill borrowed from the Indigo.
Interesting to note it's based on the Indigo platform.

Last edited by directinjection : 4th March 2009 at 11:54.
Old 4th March 2009, 11:57   #51
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
While I'm pretty sure this vehicle will not see daylight for quite some time, it is quite amusing to see how people are more interested to point out design cues from other vehicles rather than rate this vehicle on its own.
Quite true, What happened to all the concepts, Tata showed at the previous Geneva shows. They were some classy looking cars like Aria, Elegante and what not. They are probably scale models on RT's desk now.

I have always despised concepts. What you see is never what you get. Consider the MUL Astar.
Old 4th March 2009, 12:03   #52
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by da_lowrider View Post
Pininfarina | Tata Pr1ma
the other version - with the Tata logo on the bonnet - looks way better. Tata's surely readying for a European launch within the next 2-3 years.
Old 4th March 2009, 12:30   #53
Senior - BHPian

The designs on the Pininfarina's website look super cool.

I agree that most of the Tata's concepts haven't seen the light of the day. But, I hope this one does make it to the production lines, as it is based on the Indigo platform. Moreover, there is no point in hiring a high profile design firm to design a car, just to show off in a Auto show!

Last edited by safari_lover : 4th March 2009 at 12:31.
Old 4th March 2009, 12:37   #54
BANNED

Super cool.

This car might see the daylight sometime soon.

Wonderfully designed, very competitive also.

Mr TATA kindly launch this soon.
Old 4th March 2009, 12:40   #55
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
While I'm pretty sure this vehicle will not see daylight for quite some time, it is quite amusing to see how people are more interested to point out design cues from other vehicles rather than rate this vehicle on its own.

This is a concept designed by Pininfarina, a reputed design house who have more at stake in the design business than Tata has. While an all-new, ground-up design that is free of ANY design cues used in any other product around the world MAY be possible, the question is whether the client is willing to take a risk with such a design or even pay for the effort involved in the same. Therefore it is not entirely unexpected that some design elements seen elsewhere may be apparent in this vehicle. In any case, VERY few vehicles today look totally new in this segment of 'value' sedans. Unless its French, of course - and we know their designs are on either extreme.

Yes it does look Peugot-ish(front-on), Maserati-ish (grille), Jaguar-ish, Opel-ish. However as a vehicle (and not as parts) it does manage to look pretty decent.

The pity is that we will NEVER get to see lines (shut or otherwise) this perfect in any of their production vehicles unless they stop building to a price. The other issue is that the market now EXPECTS them to build to a price and deliver at an even lower price. They need a re-positioning and IMHO the only way they an reposition is to take a hit on their margins and build quality into the priceband they are in. Once they have built up a reputation for quality I am sure they can slowly increase their prices to more realistic levels and nobody will actually complain.

A very perfect analysis, agree totally. Liked the deisgn on its own, and possibly it could be called a TAG Prima (for TATA & JAG)

I guess now with the association with JAG LR they can up the game a bit and truly produce quality VFM products like Fiat (Linea types).
Old 4th March 2009, 13:09   #56
BHPian

There are complaints that many of the concepts were never brought to life. But I think all of it has a justification. Take Aria concept. It was so good that everyone just loved it, but it was never converted to a production car because it would not have made sense for TATA to do so. Remember the fate of San Storm. This vehicle would have had the same fate.

But this time around (i mean in the case of Prima) it would be different. And I can give you two reasons for it.
Firstly, the most respectable Mr. Tata himself has laid down the timeline of 2-3 years for european launch. No such claims were made in the case of previous concepts from TATA.
Secondly, it all makes sense. It would give TATA a broader portfolio of cars and help them move up the value chain. Someone here rightly said that this could be the next big step for TATA after Indica V2 and Indica Vista. And I bet it would be really big.
Old 4th March 2009, 13:16   #57
Senior - BHPian

wow !!!!

looks amazing, actually in the first page it looks little lame in front but when i saw the hi resolution pics its wonderful, good effort by tata now they need some good engine to go with it hehe , also some good quality interior and better fit and finish
Old 4th March 2009, 13:28   #58
BHPian

One more pic for clear front view
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Prima - Luxury Sedan-prima3.jpg  

Old 4th March 2009, 13:55   #59
BHPian

this car looks supercool! most of the cribbers here are talking about familiar design cues to justify their dislike of this one.

so what if its ripped off from 100 other existing cars? the question should be if looks good by itself or not. to me, it looks quite good, though i dont think that the front outstandingly great. i see it priced in the 8L-11L band competing with City, Optra, SX4 etc.

i hope there is an automatic variant too. if they can grab the engine from Fiat, why not an auto tranny?
Old 4th March 2009, 14:09   #60
BHPian

Actually the Car looks good and may be with good quality interiors & diesel plant & killer price , I think it is a good car in C segment in india & many growing North American Markets .. Way to Go Mr.Tata . you are making indians proud .. jai Ho ..
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks