Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th April 2010, 13:11   #31
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
Here is a failed marketing attempt from Lexus.

Can you spot the obvious flaw in the pic
Is the Lexus IS a RWD car? It sure looks like that in the pic.
Old 13th April 2010, 13:15   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
Here is a failed marketing attempt from Lexus.

Can you spot the obvious flaw in the pic

Photoshop effects gone overboard..!! this is hilarious!

Quote:
Originally Posted by anachronix View Post
The Zen Estilo advert about the 'Boxes'. That's something I dint really understand until this day. What was the real theme behind it?

the ad symbolized the product. buy our box car and everything will and everyone will look boxy. i think tha ti s Maruti's biggest blunder till date on AD concepts.

Note from the Team-BHP Support Team : Please use "Multi Quote" option for quoting Multiple posts, instead of creating another back-to-back post.

Last edited by Technocrat : 13th April 2010 at 13:24. Reason: Please read the note in your post, thanks
Old 13th April 2010, 14:11   #33
BHPian

Guys I may be in trouble here....

But I feel the new Punto adv. is also mis leading as it shows the car with LHD...come one man...lets be honest and atleast show the products which are sold in our country...

-PK
Old 14th April 2010, 00:34   #34
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by pk_del View Post

But I feel the new Punto adv. is also mis leading as it shows the car with LHD...come one man...lets be honest and atleast show the products which are sold in our country...

-PK

Yes, and also that photoshop stretching and lowering of the car which make it look much more attractive than it actually is.
Old 14th April 2010, 01:05   #35
BHPian

I feel the latest Chevy Cruze ad in which it is racing an Endeavor is senseless.
Old 14th April 2010, 01:44   #36
BHPian

The Honda Jazz ads, which was coming in newspapers, while the car was launched was useless. I spent lot of time to understand from their caption - "One life Why so Serious?"

They can explain with junks like tension free life, life without stress etc. but makes no sense to me.

In my opinion, it never conveyed any strong message about the product or the brand.
Attached Thumbnails
Misleading car/bike ads.-hondajazz.jpg  

Old 14th April 2010, 02:48   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgsagar View Post
Yes, and also that photoshop stretching and lowering of the car which make it look much more attractive than it actually is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pk_del View Post

-PK
To add some salt to the injury here, the car shown is a 2 door rather than the 4 door that is sold in India,
Old 14th April 2010, 10:51   #38
BHPian

I do not agree with the objection on the Punto Ads, as the ad is just trying to showcase the product. They do not claim that this particular model is being sold at this price.

If Punto Ad can be called Misleading, all print Ads of almost all car companies show their products with all possible accessories and they even give the price with a tiny '*' which says accessories in the pic may not be an option!
Old 14th April 2010, 11:11   #39
BHPian

I agree as far as the case with the FIAT Punto is concerned.
Showcasing an advertisement meant for the European market in the Indian subcontinent with a car that lacks a pair of doors than it's Indian counterpart, is LHD, has alot of aftermarket fittings, etc. makes it obvious that it was broadcast only to grab attention, the classic 'by hook or by crook' way, thereby misleading a lot of the masses!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunil8089 View Post
The Honda Jazz ads, which was coming in newspapers, while the car was launched was useless. I spent lot of time to understand from their caption - "One life Why so Serious?"
This may be a matter of personal opinion, but I'm not at all a fan of the slogan : "One life Why so Serious?"

To me, in reality it's more like, "ONLY One life, THAT'S WHY so serious"
Old 14th April 2010, 11:15   #40
BHPian

The most misleading Ads are of those manufacturers who claim certain safety standards from the awards they have received from Euro tests, The typical buyer is simply fooled to believe that he is also getting the same vehicle where as in reality he is spending money on a stripped down version.

The crown in this category goes for Hyundai i20 whose Ads predominantly boast about the '5 star safety rating' it has. In reality the safety rating of five star applies only to their European model with 6 airbags!! (Indian model is stripped to 2 airbags) If you check out the Euro NCAP website and see how the ratings are done, it would be clear how many rating the Indian model would get.

For the record, Fiat Punto Grande as well as VW Polo's European models also have '5 star' safety ratings!

Last edited by channelv : 14th April 2010 at 11:18.
Old 14th April 2010, 12:05   #41
BHPian

I agree lot of adv are misleading...In fact this happened to me (4 yrs back) ..I had gone to snacks chain (I am not mentioning the name to avoid any issues) and after seeing the pics, I ordered a Grilled sandwhich...

And voila it was totally different from the pic...with no tomatoes, no letuce, no cucumber...I then called up the manager and told him that the pic is different from what you are offering...

He bluntly told me that we will return your money...I then took out my mobile phone and took the pic of my sandwhich and the sandwhich shown in the pic and told him that I will see him consumer court...The customers there also felt that they were being cheated...

Suddenly the manager became very aplolgetic and called me in the kitchen and he himself made the sandwhich as per the pic...

So in my opinion show casing a product which is not available in the market just for awareness purpose is fine...But showcasing it and then saying "now available in this variant etc etc" is totally unacceptable...

We all are car lovers and we understand the world wide market and the new products....and we also know that the adv are mis leading to an extent...

but imagine a novice person who is looking at the adv and he sees the car is LHD, with two doors etc...he will be dazzled and will rush to show room to check out the model...but will ultimately find out that the adv was misleading and he may lose the trust on the brand itself...

Car makers can definitely show their WW products in the adv., but they need to draw a line...Or they need to also show the product launched/available in the local market in the same adv.
This will earn them more respect and the consumer will also know that particular car maker is selling the same technology in local markets too...

just my thoughts....

-PK

Note from the Team-BHP Support Team : Please take the time to use proper punctuation as per Team-BHP rules. Avoid...typing...like...this. Thanks.

Last edited by Technocrat : 14th April 2010 at 12:23. Reason: Please read the note in your post, thanks
Old 14th April 2010, 12:17   #42
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunil8089 View Post

They can explain with junks like tension free life, life without stress etc. but makes no sense to me.

In my opinion, it never conveyed any strong message about the product or the brand.
The Why So Serious part always confused me.
Especially since its also used in the popular movie Dark Knight.

The Dark Knight (2008) - Memorable quotes

Quote:
The Joker: [holding a knife inside Gambol's mouth] Wanna know how I got these scars? My father was... a drinker. And a fiend. And one night he goes off crazier than usual. Mommy gets the kitchen knife to defend herself. He doesn't like that. Not-one-bit. So - me watching - he takes the knife to her, laughing while he does it! Turns to me, and he says, "why so serious, son?" Comes at me with the knife... "Why so serious?" He sticks the blade in my mouth... "Let's put a smile on that face!" And...
[looks sidelong at Gambol's thug, watching the whole thing in horror]
The Joker: Why so serious?
Misleading car/bike ads.-heathledgerdarkknight.jpg

Last edited by bblost : 14th April 2010 at 12:19.
Old 14th April 2010, 12:43   #43
Distinguished - BHPian

In Europe I remember car ads in the paper need to carry the price as
Price as shown in the picture and they can also print the starting price.

This way the reader is informed on what the gorgeous looking car with the alloy wheels and spoiler and what not will cost him.

Coming to the topic. Any stickering+head/tail lamp redo being promoted as "Presenting The All New...crap" IS THE MOST MISLEADING AD.
Old 14th April 2010, 13:04   #44
Team-BHP Support

See where Mahindra goofed up with the Scorpio ad on their website.
Vehicle is at 140, with the doors open warning light, battery and oil lights on.

Here is a snapshot from the site. Enjoy!

Misleading car/bike ads.-scorpio.jpg
benbsb29 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th April 2010, 13:18   #45
BHPian

dont miss the handbreak applied indicator , oil and battery indicator , seems the car is stalled and speedo stuck on 140

Enjoy !!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Misleading car/bike ads.-scorpio.jpg  

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks