Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th April 2010, 14:49   #46
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilead View Post
Is the Lexus IS a RWD car? It sure looks like that in the pic.
Lexus models are Rear Wheel Drive and I believe Mahindra are testing the Scorpio's instrument console! Evey light is switched on
Old 14th April 2010, 14:59   #47
Senior - BHPian

Scorpio ad takes the cake. Doing 140 kph while standing still? Wow! The car's engine is not even turned on. Don't they know engine oil light and battery light go off as soon as the engine starts? May be the car was being towed at 140 kph. But in that case tacho should be at zero. Really beats me how they did it!

Last edited by pgsagar : 14th April 2010 at 15:01.
Old 14th April 2010, 15:22   #48
BHPian

That Mahindra Ad takes the whole Cake . Wonder, how such Ads even pass through the concerned departments (Advertising) . No cross checkings for mistakes in Ads?

Lexus Ad = Ghost Drivers , eh?

Last edited by mnhegde : 14th April 2010 at 15:26.
Old 14th April 2010, 18:39   #49
BHPian

Nice catch on Scorpio. Just being curious, I opened Scorpio website and for VLX model I found the following. Similar to previous one but this time with 140 km/h with 0 RPM. Is it like they missed or "just for illustration purpose" ?
Attached Thumbnails
Misleading car/bike ads.-scorp.jpg  

Old 15th April 2010, 09:52   #50
Senior - BHPian

I think the scorpio ad shows more like how does the speedo look when its at 140 or any other speed, its just showing working of other lights and locations, so that you know where is the handbrake light, where is the engine oil light, where are the parking lights. I dont find it misleading, its perfectly fine to show all the lights glowing in one picture itself.

Also on the i20, are you sure that the version sold in India doesnt has 6 airbags ? As far as I know, it does has models with 6 airbags.
Old 15th April 2010, 11:37   #51
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by channelv View Post
The crown in this category goes for Hyundai i20 whose Ads predominantly boast about the '5 star safety rating' it has. In reality the safety rating of five star applies only to their European model with 6 airbags!! (Indian model is stripped to 2 airbags) If you check out the Euro NCAP website and see how the ratings are done, it would be clear how many rating the Indian model would get.
tanwaramit is right i20 does come with 6 airbags & the variant is called Asta Option Pack or Asta (O).
Old 15th April 2010, 12:07   #52
Senior - BHPian

I think most of the ads are just plain stupid than misleading. For example, look at the Hero Honda ad which show bikes jumping of childishly generated graphics of mountains and rocks, with a caption saying 'performed by experts, do not try this'. Obviously i cannot try this unless iam a graphics 'expert'.

Not seen much of misleading ads as such
mallumowgli is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th April 2010, 15:19   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
tanwaramit is right i20 does come with 6 airbags & the variant is called Asta Option Pack or Asta (O).
My bad, Thanks Technocrat and tanwaramit for clearing it. Seems like the salesman at the showroom had no clue about the other airbags.

The Scorpio website pic I guess was taken when the vehicle lost control and is rolling downhill. (speed 140, Engine off!) The driver trying to escape with the hand brakes and also jumping off the vehicle by opening the door!
Old 15th April 2010, 18:41   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMAG View Post
I guess all ads are misleading in their own right. If they would relay just real facts and their products sold on that alone, there wouldnt be a need to advertize/market in the first place!
+1 to that.

And i guess thats why we are members of Team-bhp. So we do not fall pray to such ads.
Old 15th April 2010, 19:12   #55
BHPian

Mine s for the Manza ad.
Something is missing !!! True you ll feel that way once you start driving the Manza !!!

Also the Verna AD
Anything more advanced will require a flying license. You ll require a flight license to steer a verna across a corner.Very True.

And of Course the Dzire.
The children stated noticing the girl after she is in the front seat of a Dzire. Probably there was nothing to see about the beauty of the car and they started noticing the little girl.

The final prize goes to TATA SUMO.
Phir bhi kuch log sumo chalathe he. poor guys.

Note from the Team-BHP Support Team : Please take the time to use proper punctuation as per Team-BHP rules. Avoid...typing...like...this. Thanks.

Last edited by sandygordon : 15th April 2010 at 19:23. Reason: TBHP NOTE FOR AVOIDING DOTS !!
Old 15th April 2010, 19:22   #56
BHPian

In 2008 when hyundai launched the i10 with kappa engine i read in an advt stating that they have spent $421 million for R&D for the engine alone. This roughly equates to 1900 to 2000 crores(1$ = ~INR 45). Is that a realistic figure. If yes then what will be the break even period for such a huge investment. Can some knowledgeable folks share their views.
Old 15th April 2010, 20:45   #57
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandygordon View Post
The final prize goes to TATA SUMO.
Phir bhi kuch log sumo chalathe he. poor guys.
Do you mean series Sumo Victa ads they used to show?. According to me that's one brilliant ad concept. But for Sumo yeah.. it does not deserve that ad

Last edited by Latheesh : 15th April 2010 at 21:04.
Old 15th April 2010, 20:57   #58
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latheesh View Post
Do you mean series Sumo Victa ads they used to show?. According to me that's a brilliant ad concept?. But for Sumo yeah it does not deserve that ad
Brilliant concept for sure.
But for the TATA Sumo - Not at all
Old 16th April 2010, 01:31   #59
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMAG View Post
I guess all ads are misleading in their own right. If they would relay just real facts and their products sold on that alone, there wouldnt be a need to advertize/market in the first place!
All ads misleading in their own right? Not really. Tell me what is misleading about the TVS bike ad, " Mere bhai ke liye". It's very simple and funny ad. No stunts, no celebrities, a simple average middle aged, middle class guy who buys it for his kid bro but later keeps it for himself. The looks on their faces is just hilarious.

Now contrast this with that other supertrash bike ad ( I don't remember which bike ) where he jumps over ships, barges, ferries and gets to the island paradise ahead of his friends. And not happy with all the stupidity, the "Hero" when asked how he thinks he will head back, says "thinking is such a waste of time". This is the last straw. Wow, what a statement! So we all people who think are stupid and this smart alec with a smirk on his face ridicules the very concept of thinking. So, don't think. Just cross road whenever you feel like or come in the path of other vehicles without thinkling one bit. Wonder how long a guy with such attitude will last on our roads.

Now, before any of you guys blast me for taking these stupid ads seriously, I have to say this. I am not the one who is taking such ads seriously, but trust me there are youngsters all over the country who are losing their limbs and their life, attempting to duplicate these stunts.
Old 16th April 2010, 10:43   #60
Senior - BHPian

Hey pgsagar, that's why they write disclaimers at the bottom of the screen, "the stunts are performed by experts.. blah blah..". Of course, you need a magnifying glass with 20 inch diameter to read what is written there.
Remember Hritik Roshan on a Karizma competing with a jet fighter?

I guess TVS ads are much more to-the-point. The ad of Jive clearly shows its features.

And then there were these "informative" ads by Bajaj for one of their bikes that has a fuel efficiency of 100 kmpl. "Mangalore se 100 km door ek gaanv hai jahaan aaj bhi Sanskrit boli jaati hai". What's the point?!!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks