Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th October 2016, 16:20   #241
Team-BHP Support

Re: 2016 JD Power Survey Surprises: Honda Tops, Tata Above Avg, Toyota Below Avg

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1100D View Post
This is just the after sales service satisfaction for new cars, nothing too great, given that there are a lot of pleasantries shown by the sales folks in the initial days, when hardly anything goes wrong with the vehicles as such.
I read the article again, and its neither "sales satisfaction survey" nor "initial quality" survey. Article says the survey was conducted in Aug 2016. This is a 1 to 2 year ownership survey.

Quote:

I would rather be curious if the "Vehicle Dependability Survey" (Which actually provides an indication to the long term reliability) results are in sync with the results of this survey.
I guess the idea behind this survey is that even if a vehicle is reliable, you can still have a bad experience with the brand. Examples:

1) Long wait at the dealership before somebody attends to you
2) Service advisor asks you to pick up the car at 4:00 PM, but delivers it at 5:00 PM
3) Unnecessary billings
4) Not doing the basics like wheel alignment right.
5) You ask the service advisor to fix 3 minor issues, and he fixes only 2.
6) Car comes back with an issue you never had, before you gave it for servicing.
SmartCat is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 28th October 2016, 17:19   #242
BHPian

Re: 2016 JD Power Survey Surprises: Honda Tops, Tata Above Avg, Toyota Below Avg

TATA above Toyota. Wow

On the lighter side.
Mr Cyrus Mistry will now quote this survey to prove that he handled TATA Motors better than Ratan Tata could ever do.
nkghai is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th October 2016, 04:36   #243
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

WOW

TATA above Toyota is what we all see. The rest doesn't matter and that too in a reasonably longer term survey.

Kudos to TATA.

More impt. What is Toyota charging a premium for now?
ACM is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th October 2016, 08:10   #244
Team-BHP Support

Renault at the bottom of the pile does not surprise me, going by the grumblings of a friend who owns a Duster AWD. The car is reliable as the sun but he has issues with service center.

1) Can't recall why but refuses to go to the dealership where he bought the car for servicing.
2) At the service center where he goes to, after one of the free services, he noticed that one alloy wheel nut was missing!
3) Messed up wheel alignment (AWD requires 4 wheel alignment)
4) Service advisor insisted on replacing brake pads at 20,000 kms. He refused.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post
TATA above Toyota is what we all see. The rest doesn't matter and that too in a reasonably longer term survey.
"Tata above Toyota" does not stand out as much as "Tata above industry average" and "Toyota below industry average".

Quote:
More impt. What is Toyota charging a premium for now?
Reliability and longevity of a Toyota? This is not a "quality of car" survey, its a "quality of service experience" survey.

Last edited by SmartCat : 29th October 2016 at 08:14.
Old 29th October 2016, 09:01   #245
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1100D View Post
I would rather be curious if the "Vehicle Dependability Survey" (Which actually provides an indication to the long term reliability) results are in sync with the results of this survey.
+100

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrsteer View Post
Just a thought - why does Team BHP not come out with a reliability or satisfaction index? It would be the most believable and genuine. And its well positioned to construct one.
While our dear moderators try to remove bias from user reviews/posts you just can't prevent someone from clicking on the button that manufacturer X is more reliable than Y.

If ever, Team-BHP decides to conduct something like this, I know we would dig much deeper than what these surveys do and come up with actual results.

Now Toyota being less reliable than Tata, I would say, this survey itself is unreliable.
Old 29th October 2016, 09:10   #246
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post
"Tata above Toyota" does not stand out as much as "Tata above industry average" and "Toyota below industry average".
Well, well and well.

Is it incorrect to say that Toyota is the benchmark of Product Quality and After Sales Service?

If it is, then Tata is certainly above the industry average.
Old 29th October 2016, 15:06   #247
BHPian

Re: JD Power Survey Surprises: Honda Tops, Tata Above Avg, Toyota Below Avg

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post
From personal experience, I can say that Honda executives beg, (Eg: Please Sir) call you up frequently and request you to give "10 out of 10" ratings when JD people call up.
+1 to that, I've got 5 calls from Honda requesting me to give +ve feedback when "someone" calls, within a span of 2 months. I only wish they worked so hard on actually servicing the car.
ashwin489 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2016, 22:24   #248
RSR
Senior - BHPian

J.D.Power 2016 India IQS - Hyundai wins 3 awards; Toyota & Honda get 2; VW & Maruti bag 1

J.D.Power's 2016 India Initial Quality Survey (IQS) results have been released.

The winners are:

-> Hyundai leads the pack by winning three awards (Eon, i10 & Creta)

-> Toyota (Liva/Cross & Innova) and Honda (Amaze & City) win two awards apiece

-> Volkswagen (Polo/Cross) and Maruti Suzuki (Alto 800) get one each

The "JD Power Study" Thread-screenshot_20161202220954_1.jpg

Quote:
2016 India IQS Rankings

Hyundai receives three model-level awards. The Hyundai Eon ranks highest (96 PP100) in a tie with Maruti Suzuki Alto 800 in the entry compact segment; the Hyundai i10 ranks highest in the compact segment with 64 PP100; and the Hyundai Creta, in its debut year, ranks highest in the SUV segment with 68 PP100.

Honda and Toyota each receive model-level awards. The Honda Amaze and the Honda City rank highest in the entry midsize and midsize segment with 43 PP100 and 58 PP100, respectively.

The Toyota Etios Liva/Cross and Toyota Innova rank highest in the upper compact and MUV/MPV segments with 68 PP100 and 53 PP100, respectively.

The Volkswagen Polo/Cross ranks highest in the premium compact segment with 55 PP100.
Source: J.D.Power India

Last edited by RSR : 2nd December 2016 at 22:38.
RSR is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2016, 23:06   #249
Senior - BHPian

Re: J.D.Power 2016 India IQS - Hyundai wins 3 awards; Toyota & Honda get 2; VW & Maruti bag 1

Interesting to see that the Nano is quite close to its segment toppers and above the segment average. Considering its mostly panned by many, for many a reasons, founded and unfounded!

Blind faith in name plates seems to have been reflected in the Bolero results which continues to sell in large numbers despite the unpalatable score.
Reminds me of yesteryears', Ambassador Taxi buyers in West Bengal, when they used to take delivery of their beloved "Amby" from dealers and straight-away "despatch" them to workshops for "body reinforcements" !! All problems were dismissed as " No problem, It's ok, anyone - can - repair - an - Amby" belief! The fact that the vehicle was deficient in quite a few areas was never accepted.
Much, much later, when the L'il Maruti 800's rolled in, that the concept of reliability with durability clicked with the Indian car buyers.

Let's wish Mahindra the best and hope they pull up their socks and manage to eradicate the woes that seem to be plaguing their bestseller, irrespective of IQS rankings.
Old 3rd December 2016, 11:27   #250
BHPian

Re: J.D.Power 2016 India IQS - Hyundai wins 3 awards; Toyota & Honda get 2; VW & Maruti bag 1

It is quite disheartening to see the Ciaz coming out with 91 PP100. It’s a pretty high number for a manufacturer with more than 50% of the market share (and Ciaz, supposedly is their best foot forward attempt to build a brand image in C2 sedan segment).

Hope MSIL takes this seriously and come up with much better figures next time with the upcoming refreshed Ciaz (expected for release within 2nd quarter of 2017).
Old 3rd December 2016, 11:45   #251
Senior - BHPian

How is that we don't see the Vento or the Rapid here? I remember the Vento to be its respective segment topper last year or the year before.
Old 3rd December 2016, 15:59   #252
Senior - BHPian

I don't know the parameters of the survey here in India but I read on a few international auto blogs that J.D. Power surveys are quite flawed.

One main reason is equal weight in points given to two distinct parameters. Something as simple as phone not connecting to bluetooth is given equal weight to something as drastic as a complete transmission failure.
cooldude1988765 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th December 2016, 22:56   #253
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooldude1988765 View Post
J.D. Power surveys are quite flawed.

One main reason is equal weight in points given to two distinct parameters. Something as simple as phone not connecting to bluetooth is given equal weight to something as drastic as a complete transmission failure.
Agreed. The best performer here is the Honda Amaze but even it has 43 problems per 100 vehicles.

That's shockingly high if those are serious problems - far more likely it is a rattle here or a minor glitch there.
Old 5th December 2016, 16:13   #254
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The "JD Power Study" Thread

The fact that MSIL has lost its share of awards compared to the previous years at least assures me that this survey was conducted fair and square. It is a fact that the company should accept with respect to the niggle free image and after sales quality for which it was earlier applauded for. They better stop displaying these awards in all advertisements and pull up their socks soon. No more boasting

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLaren Rulez View Post
Agreed. The best performer here is the Honda Amaze but even it has 43 problems per 100 vehicles.

That's shockingly high if those are serious problems - far more likely it is a rattle here or a minor glitch there.
Its usually not so organised when it comes to segregating the response. If you ask me if my Celerio has a problem, I would be telling yes. Though nothing serious, I do have some niggles like rattling door pad when music is played at high volume, etc. Compared to this, if a customer told his engine or turbo gave up, it should be given more weightage. Thats why you have so many problems per 100 vehicles. If these were serious, then the market would be a lot different.

Last edited by audioholic : 5th December 2016 at 16:17.
Old 23rd February 2017, 20:08   #255
Senior - BHPian

Re: The "JD Power Study" Thread

For US, 2017

http://www.jdpower.com/press-release...dability-study
Attached Thumbnails
The "JD Power Study" Thread-jdpower.jpg  

Last edited by srishiva : 23rd February 2017 at 20:09.
srishiva is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks