Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th April 2009, 15:53   #16
BHPian

yes, It is less than 4 yrs old, the invoice price is 8 lacs.

-MUKE
Old 28th April 2009, 16:04   #17
BANNED

Using my experience:

Invoice value of car: 8,00,000.00
13% of invoice value: 1,04,000.00
Depreciated value of tax: 84,240.00
(81% of tax to be paid since vehicle is more than 3 years old but not more than 4 years old)
Cess at 10%: 8,424.00
Total tax payable: 92,664.00 only (Life Time Tax)
Old 28th April 2009, 17:24   #18
Senior - BHPian

ouch ouch ouch would consider selling that in TN and buying another one here, still difference wont be 1 lac
Old 28th April 2009, 17:34   #19
BANNED

Yes. Nice, isn't it?

Ideal solution is to keep the car with the TN registration and drive it once in a while to TN & back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceman91 View Post
Go to A2B and back or Rosin???
A2B is before the toll plaza, so doesn't help much. Rosin & back is good provided they have chicken omelette available.

Even Hotel Tamilnadu at Krishnagiri will do. They also have an A/C room that serves beverages.

Last edited by hrag : 28th April 2009 at 17:44.
Old 28th April 2009, 17:35   #20
Senior - BHPian

Go to A2B and back or Rosin???
Old 30th June 2009, 10:06   #21
BHPian

Does anyone know whether Karnataka has scrapped the entry tax for vehicles that are less than 15 months old ? Last thing I heard was, Kerala govt has removed this entry tax ( and I have experienced it myself when I bought a car in KA and took to Kerala, got it registered there).
Now, I would like to do the reverse thing ( buy one in KL and get it registered in KA) only if KA has done away with the entry tax . Any idea how can we collect this info ?
Old 30th June 2009, 10:12   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecherian View Post
Does anyone know whether Karnataka has scrapped the entry tax for vehicles that are less than 15 months old ? Last thing I heard was, Kerala govt has removed this entry tax ( and I have experienced it myself when I bought a car in KA and took to Kerala, got it registered there).
Now, I would like to do the reverse thing ( buy one in KL and get it registered in KA) only if KA has done away with the entry tax . Any idea how can we collect this info ?
Karnataka has a higher tax than Kerala. So Kerala will not charge you as you have not gained anything by purchasing in KA. However KA will charge you if you purchase in KL because you have made a substantial saving.
Old 30th June 2009, 10:15   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedrolourenco View Post
Karnataka has a higher tax than Kerala. So Kerala will not charge you as you have not gained anything by purchasing in KA. However KA will charge you if you purchase in KL because you have made a substantial saving.
I don't think it is related to the road tax. Entry tax, if I am correct, is over and above the road tax. Earlier, any vehicle purchased outside KL, when registering in KL, had to pay 12.5 % entry tax over and above the normal road tax. After the introduction of VAT, KL govt has done away with the entry tax as the no of vehicles purchased outside KL had reduced ( due to the very negligible price between KL and outside KL)

But, I am not sure whether KA has scrapped this stuff.
Old 30th June 2009, 10:22   #24
BHPian

I have a 2001 model Santro LS which I bought in Bombay. Am based in BLR for the last few years now and would like to get the same registered in BLR.

How do I calculate the road tax I would need to shell out, since I do not have the original invoice (I bought a pre-owned car, Bombay resale prices being substantially lower than Bangalore). Also the specific model is no longer in production (this is before the Xing).

Any inputs in this context would be appreciated.
Old 30th June 2009, 10:34   #25
Senior - BHPian

Please do not do the mistake of bringing another state vehicle into Karnataka. I spent nearly Rs 8500( Including all bribes +Agent) for a Unicorn costing Rs 60,000/-.

The RTO fellows are corrupt to the core & nothing budge them except money(bribe). KA RTO are very well tuned to take bribes in an organized manner.

Hence my sincere advise to you that please do not make the mistake of bringing TN registered vehicle in Bangalore.

Please sell the vehicle in TN & get a new one here in Bangalore.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 1st July 2009 at 10:36.
Old 30th June 2009, 11:13   #26
Senior - BHPian

The rule for any state in India is that you get a NOC from the state of original registration and a pro-rata refund of the life tax paid (it would be easier to get back the proverbial popcorn eaten by the elephant!). Then you show the NOC to the RTO at the state where you are moving, pay the pro-rated tax there and re-register the vehicle.

When I shifted to Bangalore in June'00 my Chennai registered bike was only a few months old. So I just used it for a few months and if stopped by cops, would claim I was coming from Hosur and would return in the evening. But those days were the height of Rajkumar abduction drama and Cauvery water issues. And believe me, during such times, vehicles with TN plates will receive special attention! Mine was no exception and I got tired of it after a few times.

So according to the advise of a colleague, I approached my area RTO office (Yeshwanthpur) and learned of the procedure mentioned in para 1. My problem was I may be re-located back to Chennai within a few years and did not want to go through the rigmarole again. The guy (a broker) advised I can simply pay the life tax, stick a photocopy of the receipt on the fairing and nobody will stop me even with TN plates, which is what I did. He also said that the rule is the vehicle should be re-registered in B'lore within a year of paying the tax, but it will not create a problem so long as the tax receipt was there. I paid about Rs 2400 life tax as my bike was just over a year old and spent a happy five years at Bangy. My RC book still has the endorsement for the LTT of both the states!

Last edited by Gansan : 30th June 2009 at 11:18.
Old 30th June 2009, 14:15   #27
BHPian

IMO the attitude of cops towards other states vehicles in respective states is the same , since they are easy targets to make some money and moreso if the vehicle is from south in west / north india and vice versa . Most often the cops speak only local language just to unnerve . I had been caught couple of times with my KA reg bike in mumbai , in one instance they fined me 1500/- on various charges , when i insisted on the challan , i was handed over a copy in marathi , How on earth am i supposed to know what is written in that ... Unless the whole system is changed to " one tax " across india managed by central authority it is going to fill the coffers of corrupt Cops / RTA .
Old 30th June 2009, 15:00   #28
BHPian

Should I get a NOC if I am going to use the TN registered car in bangalore for 2 years and will do a trip to Chennai every 2 months ?
Can the toll plaza receipt be used to avoid KA registration ?
Old 30th June 2009, 15:10   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopinathann View Post
Should I get a NOC if I am going to use the TN registered car in bangalore for 2 years and will do a trip to Chennai every 2 months ?
Can the toll plaza receipt be used to avoid KA registration ?
Well, Not really necessary, but keep the toll receipts handy all the time (cops on vigil @hosur road big time) !!

I am myself running an AP registered car in bangalore since december 08, and not faced any problem till date.. never got caught in city or anywer, but Hosur road is the border and cops r always there expecting easy money .. so keep ur toll receipts and fill petrol in TN when u r there .. cheaper and also u ll have 1 more reason to prove ur from TN !!
Old 30th June 2009, 15:43   #30
BANNED

I wish Gen Khanduri's initiative of making it possible to transfer across states and claim the old tax in the new state had come through. With everything (supposedly) on line I do not see any reason why you should not be able to move seamlessly across the country. Any credits/debits should be done internally on the system. My guess is that the high tariff states (read Karnataka as one) are worried about having to host umpteen vehicles from other states.

With GST coming (next April or shortly thereafter) it only needs a degree of rationalisation of Road Tax to make the interstate transfer of vehicles a Zero sum affair. Then we may be also to hope for doing away with this rubbish.

Imagine the plight of, say, a defence officer, who get moved all over the country.

I had started a thread - Case for All India Registration sometime ago on this.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks