Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd December 2008, 13:56   #16
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
This is only for Govt vehicles, still makes it illegal under the MV Act
But I dont think anybody would dare question anyone with such number plates. If anybody does so, then it could cause a lot of problems.

Once, I saw a sumo entering Tamil Nadu with Kannada number plates. Wonder if the cops there would catch them??

Last edited by deadguy25 : 22nd December 2008 at 13:57.
Old 22nd December 2008, 14:03   #17
Senior - BHPian

I have seen in some RTO in TN where the board recommends to write in Tamil. Infact, they have put a alternative for each of the English character in Tamil, numbers in tamil, the fonts to be used etc. So, I guess it is certainly not illegal to have the Number plates in Local lang.

I agree that, I did not see anything that mentions that it has to go with or without English. Time to check soon.
Old 22nd December 2008, 14:23   #18
BHPian

in hyderabad recently the govt anounced that number plates in telugu are not allowed because most of the cops cant read telugu numbers.

however the APSRTC busses display number plates in telugu as well as english, which is perfectly ok, IMO.

a funny thing i notice in some vehicles in hyderabad is "Telangana" pasted on the top of the plate in the empty area.
Old 1st December 2009, 05:22   #19
BHPian

Number plates.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CtrlAltDel View Post
in hyderabad recently the govt anounced that number plates in telugu are not allowed because most of the cops cant read telugu numbers.

however the APSRTC busses display number plates in telugu as well as english, which is perfectly ok, IMO.

a funny thing i notice in some vehicles in hyderabad is "Telangana" pasted on the top of the plate in the empty area.
As per Transport rules and regulations it is mandatory to have number plates in english alphabets and Arabic numbers ( the ones we are using now). Additional numbers in regional languages is allowed along with the English.
On sunday, I noticed some 2 wheelers with only Kannada number plates. See the attached DH clipping regarding this issue.

How do the Authorities allow this.? And what action they are taking?

A few weeks back, There was a new item in DH. The Transport Authorities about 4 years ago sent a notification that all vehicles registered in Karnataka should have separate number plates in both english and kannada.
Since no vehicle manufacturer provides provision for 4 number plates ( 2 at the front and 2 at the rear) and the RTOs were in a fix as how to implement this. Hence this order was neither implemented nor revoked. A few weeks back this notification has surfaced again and the authorities don't know what to do.!!!

If I can find the paper I will post the clipping.

P.S
On sunday found 2 of our "Gaurdians of Law" going around M.G Road, Bangalore on a Motorcycle without any "Number Plates".
Old 1st December 2009, 06:03   #20
BHPian

[quote=sudharma;1609158]

If I can find the paper I will post the clipping.
quote]

Was unable to add the clippings earlier. Here they are.
Also see the URL:-
Delhi Traffic Police, New Delhi (India) - Number Plate of Vehicles Delhi
Attached Thumbnails
Number plates in languages other than English-scan0003.jpg  

Attached Files
File Type: doc Facts on Car License Plate.doc (27.5 KB, 748 views)
Old 1st December 2009, 06:59   #21
Senior - BHPian

this is plain ignorant for people to do this.
well i understand intercity buses doing this but people with private cars must really lack common sense.
what will the authorities do when this guy travels to anoter state? take a English to kannada/marathi/tamil dictionary?
Old 1st December 2009, 08:53   #22
J.Ravi

Many autorickshaws in Bangalore, which have become notorious, sport registration plates in Kannada just to escape noting down of the numbers in case of hit-and-run and other illegal activities. In India, anything can be done in the name of language and no authority would question!

Last edited by J.Ravi : 1st December 2009 at 08:56.

Old 1st December 2009, 08:57   #23
BHPian

This is illegal. If not, it should be banned. And the owners whipped. In public.

okay, maybe not in public
Old 1st December 2009, 09:21   #24
Senior - BHPian

Its annoying, that's all. Imagine in the event of any eventuality, you would need a local to decipher the number. Crazy.

Some things are best the way it is.
Old 1st December 2009, 13:12   #25
BHPian

In Bangalore there are many GOVT official's and Politicians vehicle (Cars) runs with Kannada No Plate. Who care the law
In Bangalore like cosmopolitan city its really horrible to follow local no plate.
Old 1st December 2009, 14:12   #26
Senior - BHPian

This is a common sight in Chennai too. I have seen quite a few vehicles (esp two wheelers) having their plates in Tamil.

I always wonder how someone can even note down the number in case of a hit and run scenario. More than affinity towards a language I feel it is a definite form of camouflage.
Old 1st December 2009, 14:20   #27
BHPian

Getting your number plates done in Local language is one issue
the other subsequent issue is the fonts and way they are written that at first glance you feel as if some text is written like BOSS ( 8055) ,BHAI ,RAM (214),DADA(4141) etc etc. But then on further quick thinking you realize that it is indeed a number.

Below are links of the images already posted on Team-BHP.

image 1
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ml#post1007496

image 2 (speaks everything - what i mean to say)
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ml#post1431215
Attached Thumbnails
Number plates in languages other than English-numbers.jpg  

Old 1st December 2009, 14:31   #28
BHPian

In B'lore its very common to find number plates written in kannada. In fact most of the BMTC buses have the registration numbers written in kannada.
Old 1st December 2009, 14:33   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by faridsahmed View Post
Getting your number plates done in Local language is one issue
the other subsequent issue is the fonts and way they are written that at first glance you feel as if some text is written like BOSS ( 8055) ,BHAI ,RAM (214),DADA(4141) etc etc. But then on further quick thinking you realize that it is indeed a number.
absolutely, this should be banned on the first case, as most of the time these things are never easily readable then words and not numbers, even here i do see some peopledoing such things on their vehicles.I think it should be mandatory to use english and romanian writing on number plates across nation.
Old 1st December 2009, 14:43   #30
BHPian

In two minds...

Am in two minds re this one...

On one hand we would be justified in saying that using local language plates is a problem for travelling beyond state boundaries and for the ability to quickly note down the plate in the case of any eventuality.

On the other hand, a lot of people are not familiar with the english alphabet and would be equally handicapped if they have to quickly note down the plate number.

One solution, let the alphabets be in the local script, but keep numbers only in the "1,2,3" format. The number + model + colours is usually enough to identify a vehicle. Only exception would be public transport which must carry full plate in both english and local languages.

Clearly what is NOT on, is the use of non standard fonts or designs (or using 'POLITE' in very small letters!), the only purpose of which is obfuscation in case of problems.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks