Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th October 2011, 09:12   #61
Senior - BHPian

Re: Number plates in languages other than English

Quote:
Originally Posted by faustus77 View Post
hi
i am afraid it is no more true.I have seen hundreds repeat hundreds of MH 01 and MH 02 in marathi(if you go more into the interiors it is more prevalent)
Quite a few had jai maharashtra or the national tricolor stripe on the no.plate.
in punjab and J&K i saw thousands of motorcycles without a no number plate,both front and rear,and quite a lot had a name written on the front.
rgds
In Mumbai even cops have number plates painted in Marathi.
they are shameless guys, these same people fine others for having number plates in languages other then english.
They feel proud by having number plates in marathi.adding fuel to fire some have those political parties flags as background. to scare away the cops and other road users.
Old 13th October 2011, 10:10   #62
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by getsurya View Post
Rivora,

why should you be sorry to read this! It clearly complies with number plate to be displayed both in English and Local language!! So i guess this is fine as long as we can read the number plate in English!

Are these vehicles expected to cross the state border? Then I guess they will carry another spare set of Numberplates in that local language. What a myopic view our local people have. I am sick of it.
Old 13th October 2011, 11:58   #63
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
This is only for Govt vehicles, still makes it illegal under the MV Act
To comply with MV Act, Karnataka Govt owned vehicles display numbers both in Kannada & English in bold. Something like this:

One more:

Even buses sport numbers in 2 languages:
Number plates in languages other than English-buses_with_boards_written_in_kannada_only_small.jpg

Since the numbers are in English, I guess this is legal.

Last edited by msdivy : 13th October 2011 at 12:06. Reason: Add cop's bike pic.
Old 13th October 2011, 12:50   #64
BHPian

msdivy, surprisingly the spark in the picture is a kerala registered ....they may did this to get unnoticed from the police and localites..

Few months back , in Marathahalli one biker tried to steal one bag from a car which was parked opposite to Kalamandir.. nobody could read the number plate as its was in Kannada and that too in a weird fond ...

Its a real problem in cities like Bangalore where above 30% are from other states..

I don't think there is any effort from anybody to make it an "outsider" friendly city ...be it the number plates or sign boards or anything which are meant for public to read....
Old 13th October 2011, 18:15   #65
jp1
BHPian

The recent corporator murder in Malleswaram, News paper reported that the killers came in M800 with number board in Kannada and hardly anyone could read it except a Kannada teacher who was present at the spot. Even then police not bothered about the problem
Old 13th October 2011, 20:45   #66
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
What a myopic view our local people have. I am sick of it.
Tommie, there is nothing so sick about it. As long as you have english/roman numbers prominently displayed that should be fine.
Old 13th October 2011, 21:03   #67
BHPian

Interestingly, this number plate menace makes my skull go numb. I am a native Kannada speaker, but it is damn frustrating whenever I see the plates adorned in local language. I bet except for handful localities, not many can read the numerals in local language as swiftly as the Roman numerals.

Recently three of my colleagues, all efficient native speakers, witnessed an accident where a taxicab banged the behind of a bus and a bike, inches before their eyes. But taxi managed to reverse and escape. They were unable to note down the numbers because it was in Kannada.

I believe, it's high time the Motor Vehicle Act be amended to reflect the changing aspirations.

Last edited by doxinboy : 13th October 2011 at 21:04. Reason: Typo
Old 14th October 2011, 00:34   #68
BHPian

doxinboy
hi
the rules are very clear on this matter,sorely the implementation is lacking.
sadly for us in india we have laws for everything it is the enforcement that leaves a lot to be desired
rgds
Old 26th October 2011, 23:13   #69
Senior - BHPian

Today I had gone to Andheri west for diwali shopping. Now this place at 4 bunglows is so crowded that people dont even think of taking a two wheeler with them forget about a small car. All this due to no place to park.
This joker brought his SUV and parked it right opposit to a sweet shop and obstructed the free flow of traffic, you may see a BEST bus trying to pass this vehicle.
He had come with his wife to buy DIYAS for diwali,He took the liberty all because he had a worn out sticker of VIP. on the front glass, and a plitical party's name, his position in the same party,and area he is having control.
Such people must not be spared at all and to be fined as they do to a common man.
All these manners come only if they are literate.....
Attached Thumbnails
Number plates in languages other than English-vivp.jpg  

Old 27th October 2011, 13:59   #70
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IQBAL VEERJI View Post
He had come with his wife to buy DIYAS for diwali,He took the liberty all because he had a worn out sticker of VIP. on the front glass, and a plitical party's name, his position in the same party,and area he is having control.
Such people must not be spared at all and to be fined as they do to a common man.
All these manners come only if they are literate.....
VeerJi,

Such number plates are being issued challans in New Delhi. People upload such photographs on the Delhi Traffic Police facebook page and the owners are being issued challans.

Such Facebook Page service (by Traffic Police) is available in Chanidgarh, Bangalore also. What about Mumbai?

- Irish
Old 28th October 2011, 09:25   #71
BANNED

I think the plate has to be in Roman letters and numerals. MH govt went to the high court multiple times only to be rebuffed every time. As for these 'bilingual' plates I am sure the characters are much smaller than the legal 65mm (for cars).

I see multiple cars with Uttar Pradesh instead of UP (many UP Govt cars as well) in Devenagri and sometimes the numerals also in Hindi.

We have singularly failed to implement the law on vehicle plates. Hopefully, the Supreme Court diktat will improve things. The plate is for identification and not for any language chauvinism or showing off.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks