Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st October 2009, 15:26   #46
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heman View Post
Just out of curiosity, I wanted to know what one has to do when you are stopped by a policeman for violating a traffic rule and you know you are on the wrong side.

Most of the times when we are caught in Mumbai, the first thing the policeman asks is our license and then he refuses to give it to you back inspite of us giving the fine. His explanation is that he has the authority to only give a challan which we need to show it to the nearest police station to get our licenses back. Is that right?
Even I would like to know this.
Most of the Pandus don't have the required stripes to collect fines and ask to come and collect the license next day from wherever, which gives enough reason for bribing and finishing off the matter.

Can't it be made possible for all cops to, either have authority to accept fines ,or if one doesnot have authority to collect fines, he cannot be authorised even to collect your license and issue challan.Simple rule of " with authority comes responsibility ' should be made applicable here.

Lastly, I hate Pandus who hide beyond signals on turns and spring out , when you have jumped it. Not that I am promoting jumping signals, but they should be made to wait before the signal and stop people from jumping them, rather than catching them after the crime is done just to fill their or govt. treasuries.
Old 1st October 2009, 19:32   #47
BHPian

Guys, can someone clarify how often one needs to get PUC? My vehicle is 2yrs+...there is no mention of this in the KA RTO website or in my searches in this forum.
Old 2nd October 2009, 00:59   #48

You can use a new vehicle for 6 months without PUC. Then you have to get PUC done. And it expires every 6 months!
Old 2nd October 2009, 06:50   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrus43 View Post
You can use a new vehicle for 6 months without PUC. Then you have to get PUC done. And it expires every 6 months!
I think PUC is not required up to one year after registration. Here is an excerpt from a TN govt website. But even here in Kerala, I was told that one does not require PUC for new vehicle up to one year.
Quote:
With the rapid increase in the number of vehicles, the problem of automobile pollution has assumed greater significance. Since the emission of smoke from motor vehicles is a major source of air pollution, specific standards for the permissible limits for such emission have been prescribed in the Motor Vehicles Act 1988 and Central Motor Vehicles Rules 1989. All vehicles which are in operation for more than a year should undergo emission tests every six months.
State Transport Authority

Will it be different for different states?
Old 2nd October 2009, 07:05   #50
BHPian

Are these fines a deterrent?

Hi

I know this is slightly off topic, but what I dont see is how these fines are a deterrent to anyone who thinks of erring?Rs. 300 for driving without a license, which would imply driving without an insurance. Why should a cop/court not stack up fines in such cases? Any fine, should be a deterrent to the doer and others to stop wilful erring in the future, if the fine does not serve the purpose, what purpose does it serve? Goose with golden eggs, perhaps?

Thanks
Prasad
Old 2nd October 2009, 08:32   #51
BHPian

Off topic - AP traffic police web site has a link to <http://www.indiandrivingschools.com/traffic-offences-and-penalties.html> for information relating to all traffic offenses and penalties. One of the offense and penalty is

2.9.7 Playing music while Driving. Rs. 100/- 102/177 MVA

I guess police still do not know about this .

Last edited by visu03 : 2nd October 2009 at 08:32. Reason: Typo
Old 2nd October 2009, 08:43   #52
BHPian

WoW

Quote:
Originally Posted by visu03 View Post
Off topic - AP traffic police web site has a link to <http://www.indiandrivingschools.com/traffic-offences-and-penalties.html> for information relating to all traffic offenses and penalties. One of the offense and penalty is

2.9.7 Playing music while Driving. Rs. 100/- 102/177 MVA

I guess police still do not know about this .
What the hack...... Playing Music while driving is crime ? i am aware about vedio but not music... is that typo error ?

Thanks,
Tushar
Old 2nd October 2009, 09:33   #53
BHPian

Nope its not a typo check the link.
Old 23rd July 2010, 22:51   #54

Is this true?

Guys, just wanted to know if this was real or just another spam mail. Does anyone know of any newspaper where this notice was published? Why is it only found on blogs and stuff and not on an authentic media website? Please if anyone has a copy of a newspaper where this was published, please be generous enough to upload a scan copy of the same. Thanks!
Old 24th July 2010, 10:10   #55
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayureshbhagwat View Post
Guys, just wanted to know if this was real or just another spam mail. Does anyone know of any newspaper where this notice was published? Why is it only found on blogs and stuff and not on an authentic media website? Please if anyone has a copy of a newspaper where this was published, please be generous enough to upload a scan copy of the same. Thanks!
Read the first post of this thread, it gives you the link to Jagran where the article was published, it is not spam. Also remember reading about it in the Bangalore Mirror (Times Group) but do not remember the date or have a copy. Maybe other readers have saved it and can provide it to you here.
Old 24th July 2010, 12:35   #56
Senior - BHPian

Pune Mirror

There was an article carrying similar topic in Pune Mirror (ToI) last year. I always keep this paper cutting in my wallet. Haven't used it though

Got caught by Traffic Police? Wriggle out with RTI-pune_mirror_1024x768.jpg

Link to the original article:
Don?t pay him he is not authorised to challan you, News - Latest - Pune Mirror,Pune Mirror

Last edited by bj96 : 24th July 2010 at 12:40. Reason: syntax fix
Old 24th July 2010, 14:09   #57
BHPian

This is a really useful thread. I'm attaching the various offences and penalties related to traffic mentioned in Mumbai police's website. Take a print and keep them handy in your car.

1. Parking offences - Rs. 100
2. Licence related - Rs. 300 Max depending on offence
3. Driving offences - Rs. 100 - 200
4. Driving restrictions - Rs. 100
5. Pollution - Rs. 100 - 500
6. Motor vehicle offences - Rs. 100 - 300
7. Failed to produce PUC - Rs. 100
8. Fitted TV/video on dashboard - Rs. 100 (So, no carputer in your car)

Please go through the attached files for details.

Mumbai_traffic_offences_list.pdf

Q. Who is authorized to collect traffic fine on the spot?
A. Any traffic branch office of and above the rank of Sub-Inspector of Police duly authorized with a receipt book.

Thus, in Mumbai a traffic constable never ask you to pay the fine, they generally say this is the offence, take away the driving licence, and ask to collect the same from Court.

Actually we get disturbed because of shortage of time and settled the case then and there by giving bribe.

The Mumbai Traffic Police website says -
Quote:
You can go to the respective Traffic Chowkey up to 3 days show your L-Tem Pay the fine get a proper receipt. After 3 days you can go to fine collection counter at Traffic H.Q. at Sir Pochkhanwala Road, Worli, Mumbai.
Mumbai_Traffic_FAQ.pdf

See the document "Stopped by Traffic Cop" (got from Mumbai Police website) to more Do's and Donot's.

Stopped_by_Traffic_Cop.pdf

Mods: If this is not the right thread please move the post to appropriate thread.

Last edited by gaddiwale : 24th July 2010 at 14:12.
Old 24th July 2010, 14:14   #58
BHPian

Since we are talking here about the corruption at RTO, see the attached link here on a BLOG by Mr. Raghunathan in TOI. It says a lot about a rather frustrating experience of an honest citizen while transferring the registration from one state to another. The whole system seems to be designed to help corruption.

Why Ramesh did not approach the ACB : India : V Raghunathan : TOI Blogs
Old 18th August 2010, 16:39   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by bj96 View Post
There was an article carrying similar topic in Pune Mirror (ToI) last year. I always keep this paper cutting in my wallet. Haven't used it though

Attachment 392910

Link to the original article:
Don?t pay him he is not authorised to challan you, News - Latest - Pune Mirror,Pune Mirror
Thanks for the article link, now on I too will keep a copy of it
Old 18th August 2010, 17:52   #60
BHPian

In this matter 50/100 bux can talk alot more than the law. A temper mental cop will find someway or the other to harras you no matter what the law says.

Anyway, most cops stop people only to fill fine collection targets and after that they get on with their daily collection target

In a way, cant really blame them. I dont know how they can run their house given consumerism and inflation in todays day and age

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks