Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd June 2009, 17:33   #1
BHPian

Got caught by Traffic Police? Wriggle out with RTI

Here is a piece of information that could help atleast some people with all the right documents. This is in Karnataka, Check in your state also.

http://cityplus.jagran.com/
--------------------------------------------------------------------
Not knowing this may leave a big hole in your pocket
Information you cannot miss out

If you are getting caught quite often by Bangalore's traffic police, then this will be the article you cannot miss out on. From now onwards, the Traffic Police cannot catch a motorist just to examine the driving licence or vehicle documents. He can catch you only if you have violated any traffic laws or if you are driving drunk.
Remember that when caught for traffic violation, the fine you pay must be limited to the violation. In other words, the police can't bloat the bill saying that you have no insurance cover or emission certificate, etc.
Many motorists do not know this. According to the State's Road Transportation Act, no policeman can slap a penalty on you just because you have no insurance or emission certificate. If you have not purchased insurance cover for your vehicle, then the police officer must issue a notice, not impose penalty. You must be given 15 days' time to purchase insurance cover and one week for obtaining the emission certificate. Days later, meet the sub-inspector at his station with the insurance cover or emission certificate, so that he will annul the charge at once. Police can fine you only if you fail to produce these documents within the stipulated period. If your vehicle is brand new, then you need not bother about obtaining the emission certificate for one full year.
In response to a question as to why policemen fine people instantly without giving them time to obtain insurance cover or emission certificate, Additional Commissioner for Traffic Praveen Sood said, "Yes, it is a mistake. People must force policemen to issue notice or complain to me at least the following day. I have suspended the Indiranagar sub-inspector for catching people for silly reasons," he said.
The best way to teach the police a lesson is filing a written complaint with their higher officials and, a week later, using the Right to Information Act (RTI) to know the action taken against them.
Remember, any question or application filed under RTI cannot be ignored and no official is bold enough to ignore the RTI Act.
Praveen Sood (Additional Commissioner for Traffic) - 22942276.

--------------------------------------------------------------------
Suresh.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 11th June 2013 at 08:32. Reason: link updated
webjunk is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2009, 18:24   #2
Senior - BHPian

On paper, all this looks very pleasing to read but in reality, does this really work ? Most of the cops are corrupt to the gills and one always finds it better to settle the issue then and there than to bother with all these things wasting one's time. Havent you heard, time is money !
Old 23rd June 2009, 18:27   #3
Senior - BHPian

This letter by Praveen Sood (Additional Commissioner for Traffic) should be with each and every traffic cop not with us, so that they know what is really a part of duty and what is not.

By the way @webjunk, thanks for the tips, I must take a print of this, just in case

Last edited by prince_pervez : 23rd June 2009 at 18:28.
Old 23rd June 2009, 18:32   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prince_pervez View Post

By the way @webjunk, thanks for the tips, I must take a print of this, just in case
Keep a copy that's been translated into the local language as well (if the cops get ideas )
Old 23rd June 2009, 18:33   #5
BHPian

Super info webjunk I will take a printout and keep. Good point Pervez.
Old 23rd June 2009, 18:41   #6
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for the info bro.
@NC - Fantastic point
Old 23rd June 2009, 18:43   #7
BHPian

BTW Traffic Cops have their own way of weaving their web around the rules. I was once caught for violating a no entry sign (I must admit that I did this knowingly, but not any longer). When the cop caught me, he asked for a bribe. I refused and said I would pay the official fine (Rs. 100/- for violating the no-entry sign). To my surprise, he slapped a fine of Rs. 300/- with three charges - Violating a no entry sign, Rash driving and Overspeeding (when I was positively under 20KMPH, come on this is BLR gallis that I talk off, u cannot drive over 20KMPH here without breaking ur back on a scooter).

Anyways, there was no way I could challenge the fine, how do I prove someone that the charge is false and the office was corrupt? Had to walk off, just happy to not contribute to the corruption in the system.

Am sure they will have their own way of finding loopholes in this rule and they will continue their ways.
sachinayak is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2009, 18:43   #8
BHPian

Awesome!!! now it is payback time & get some cops suspended.

On a more serious note does this mean that unless the cop has seen you violating the law you cannot be stopped & if he does so you have the right to refuse to co operate with him and call the ACP traffic ?

regards

vaseem
Old 23rd June 2009, 18:46   #9
BHPian

Why, that's a great piece of information.Thanks for sharing, Webjunk.
Old 23rd June 2009, 19:06   #10
Senior - BHPian

Like someone said this looks good on paper but wold be difficult to implement.

This information itself has provision for a loop, who will decide which violation the person should be fined for, obviously the cop.

Quote:
He can catch you only if you have violated any traffic laws or if you are driving drunk.Remember that when caught for traffic violation, the fine you pay must be limited to the violation.
Technocrat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2009, 19:07   #11
Senior - BHPian

If anyone's seen the list of spot fines published on the bangalore city police website, there's no spot fine for No license/emission/insurance/rc. When the cop gives you the challan it will actually be written in it clearly that you have to provide the same within 15 days to the police station. However when you question cops on this, they wriggle out of it by saying only if you show original license this is applicable, then they start off on another tangent. So finally you get irritated and pay the 100 buck fine.

By the way if you don't know the spot fine amounts, you can get fleeced, especially if you drive a more expensive car
Old 23rd June 2009, 19:10   #12
BHPian

Argue with a police man, not possible in Uttar Pradesh easily .

Last edited by ghpk : 23rd June 2009 at 19:12.
Old 23rd June 2009, 19:18   #13
BHPian

hey, thats nice info webjunk...although feasibility is altogether another story :d

guys, can someone put up the actual fine rates for traffic offences for the benefit of all
Old 23rd June 2009, 19:24   #14
Senior - BHPian

@perez: Take a look at This thread for a list of all traffic fines
Old 23rd June 2009, 19:28   #15
Team-BHP Support

Nice to know, you can argue this point with a decent cop. But if you tangle with a bully cop, he can go to any extent to teach you a lesson for correcting him.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks