Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 11th September 2009, 13:13   #151
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Almost every premium car has this feature today. My C220 does, and even the recently tested Fortuner had a weight sensor that only activates the seat belt warning when the passenger seat is occupied.
Same with the i20
Old 11th September 2009, 13:27   #152
BHPian

^ Innova V variant has this feature as well!
Old 11th September 2009, 14:02   #153
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by predatorwheelz View Post
Thats because your car did suffer a complete electrical failure. In the last 11 years, I've had atleast as many instances where I've had to pull up on the side of the road at night for something or the other. In all instances, all my cars hazard lights have worked even after switching off completely.
Hi predatorwheelz, Please read my post carefully. On my wishlist, I have said that the Hazard lights should have a seperate power supply to cater for precisely the Electricals FAILURES (and not for normal switching off of the car).
Old 11th September 2009, 14:28   #154
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by psp62in View Post
Hi predatorwheelz, Please read my post carefully. On my wishlist, I have said that the Hazard lights should have a seperate power supply to cater for precisely the Electricals FAILURES (and not for normal switching off of the car).
No you didnt. Your first post never mentioned Electrical Failures. You did mention "rest of the power down" which I attributed to being a normal shut off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by psp62in View Post
2. A seperate power supply to the Hazard lights. so that they can be used even with rest of the power down.
Anyway dude, small issue.
Old 11th September 2009, 18:36   #155

Reverse Lock in palio

Don't know if this has been mentioned in the so short...............thread

One of the features that the Palio has is a reverse lock which prevents accidentally pushing the reverse gear.

You need to lift the lock on the gear knob to put it in reverse.

Some other thing in the Palio that i like is the light adjustment of the beam .(Which is now a common in all cars but unlikely in Santro Xings then)

Another good thing about the Palio is if ever you have looked at the bottom of the car, all the parts have been sealed with a thick frame and no parts lie hanging outside(unlike the Swift where you can view what the car is made up from the bottom :-D) I have couple of time ridden over stone big enough to rattle the bottom of my car, but because of this feature i have never really worried about it.

I like the Integrated Audio system with the new I10 sports model and the various storage options provided by the maruthi cars whether it be a cup or a bottle (this is missing in the palio). So you see we are even now..

Palio ELX1.2

Last edited by Rehaan : 13th September 2009 at 22:23. Reason: 2 smileys per post max. Please make sure you read the Team-BHP rules before continuing.
Old 11th September 2009, 20:52   #156
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by predatorwheelz View Post
You did mention "rest of the power down" which I attributed to being a normal shut off.
You still havent read my post carefully. Just reproducing the relevant part below. Please see the opening statement before "1" below.
Quote:
Originally Posted by psp62in
Other features on my wishlist are mainly to do safety in case of an electrical failure:
1. Have atleast one of the (four) power windows should have manual override.
2. A seperate power supply to the Hazard lights. so that they can be used even with rest of the power down.
Anyway, cool down and just take the point. (No reason to prove me or you correct. Other readers are not enjoying that debate).

BTW, a complete electrical failure on a busy expressway is one of the scariest experience of my driving life. Luckily, for me it happened during the twilight hours, and I cant imagine the consequences if it had happened a few hours later in the dark hours on the unlighted expressway.

Suggestion: There are now many useful features appearing on this thread, but in a scattered way. Only if some one could classify and compile in a structured manner...
Old 13th September 2009, 08:37   #157
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madan Gopal View Post
Each wheel of Skoda Fabia has one master nut which cannot be removed using an ordinary spanner. Every car is provided with a small key to be inserted into the spanner to remove this nut. This key is unique to each car. This feature is provided to prevent the expensive alloy wheels from being stolen.
Thats a cool feature.

Other nice car safety features
> it will be nice if they eliminated mechanical linkage between the key fob and the lock. Since most cars have central locking feature, this can save a lot of incidents where the contents inside the car are stolen without any trace.

> Glass with plastic sheets that doesn't allow complete breakage, instead the glass pieces just hang around as glued pieces. I have also seen some plastic sheets that doesn't allow piercing using sharp objects.
Old 14th September 2009, 00:18   #158
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSK123 View Post
Couple of features I liked in my Fiat Punto:
  1. Foldable keys with remote button
  2. Auto power off for rear defogger to avoid over heating
  3. Rear power window lights are off when they are disabled with driver side buttons
  4. Cabin light will get powered off after 15-20 minutes of key removal and/ or car is locked to save battery
  5. Headlights/ parking lights gets switched off when you switch off the engine. If required you need switch on the parking lights again. Its much better than giving a buzzer
  6. Auto door lock after 20kmph speed
  7. Service reminder. You can set the service reminder so that you get the alert ahead of time
  8. After the car is unlocked through remote, if no one opens the door for sometime, all the doors gets locked again
  9. Speed limit. You can set the limit and when the set speed is exceeded you get a alert message
  10. stereo volume adjustment depending on the speed of the car to compensate for the noise
  11. Poller filter for AC
For the point 8 above, this feature is present in my 2006 Indica too. I think this feature is part of the Remote Locking system used in the car.
Old 14th September 2009, 11:49   #159
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrishig View Post
Why these are not present in every car in india at least as an option->

1) Streeing wheel controls
2) buzzer/ sound when you start driving the car when handbreak is ON
3) Push button , ON/OFF switch for hand break
4) Electronic open close of side Mirrors
5) Remote boot opening
1) I am not sure what control you are expecting on the steering wheel, if its audio controls its provided on many cars today
2) Buzzers to warn if you drive with your hand brakes ON is provided in Skoda Fabia apart from the warning lights which will be glowing. The buzzers sounds after moving a small distance and not immediately.
3) ??
4) & 5) These features are also provided in many cars.
Old 14th September 2009, 14:15   #160
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
One feature I was impressed by in my Jaguar was the seat belt sign. If no one is seating in the passenger seat , that sign will not glow but only when some one sits but does n't belt themselves, will the sign glow.
This is standard feature in Camry too, >2006 models...
Old 15th September 2009, 15:11   #161
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RajaTaurus View Post
This is standard feature in Camry too, >2006 models...
Its also available in my Mondeo. It apparently has pressure sensors underneath the seat.
Old 15th September 2009, 18:30   #162
BHPian

One thing I never understood is - why 'vanity mirror' behind sun visor is available only in high end model? How much does it cost - some Rs 50 ?
Old 15th September 2009, 21:43   #163
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by radek View Post
How much does it cost - some Rs 50 ?
You can say that again, pardner! Sometimes I begin to wonder if our individual pockets are more generous than that of multi-crore car manufacturers.

Their point of view is:

1. 50 bucks x 5,000 cars a month = 30 lakhs per annum. Now, save on ten more "50 buck" parts which only the most particular customers would notice (1 - 2% of owner base) and the majority wont, who cares?

2. Yet another way of differentiating the top end variant from the lower.
Old 15th September 2009, 22:14   #164
Senior - BHPian

For me what no car has and would be good to have is if we could move the gear shift lever forward or back . It would make shifting easier since longer throws do not need you to stretch your arm.
Old 16th September 2009, 06:25   #165
BHPian

Has anyone mentioned before about Subaru's hill holder function in some of their cars (manual transmission only). Basically if you are parked on an incline, and you engage the clutch and the brake at the same time, then even after letting go of your brake, it'll hold the brake pressure for a few seconds so that it's easier to disengage the clutch without rolling back (or having to use the handbrake).

Hill-holder - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

My new Impreza comes with that feature (a separate thread on that later), but even some of the older Legacies and Imprezas used to have that as well.

Most Viewed