Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 18th January 2010, 23:11   #181
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sathyaprakash View Post
Any one thought why all hatchbacks & SUV have rear wind screen wiper while the Sedans don't have one why is this like that. Does sedan cars don't require it? or what is the concept behind this can any one explain .
The turbulence at the rear of the car, especially on dusty roads, leads to a lot of dust settling on the rear windscreen. In case of a sedan, the dust settles on the boot while for a hatchback / SUV it settles mostly on the rear windscreen.

P.S. It seems the people who use the very English "Windscreen" have not disappeared in favour of those using the very American "Windshield". Both of us seem to be a dying breed!
Old 19th January 2010, 07:29   #182
Senior - BHPian

one feature that I liked in the Xylo is that if you operate the wash/wipe on front winscreen, the wipers makes one round about 5 seconds after the normal rounds are over. This helps in wiping away the last traces of water that might be flowing down the windscreen
Old 19th January 2010, 08:16   #183
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manas View Post
Okay : this one is definitely a first in the world.

Imagine you own the New Mustang. For the eventuality when bad guys kidnap you and load you up in your own car's trunk and try driving away, the company has provided a pull-from-inside mechanism that allows such stranded passengers to open the boot and run away. The string has a triangular plastic end-holder (to pull using teeth ??) with an illustration that suggests you to do exactly the same: pull, open boot, run away.

Plus, the back-light of the instrument cluster has ~ 100 colour settings. the flipside? There is just one switch that progresses the colour. In case you missed your favourite #69 and jumped to #70: you'd need to press the switch 98 times to get the desired Backlight.
In the US this regulation was added as a safety feature. There were several incidents where kids playing in the trunk got the lid closed and suffocated. I don't believe it was as mandated as an emergency exit as it needed evn on cars where you cannot get to the trunk from the cabin.

BTW, I believe the regulation requires the safety release to be able to glow in the dark so it can be seen inside a dark trunk.

2 Children Found Dead In Car Trunk - Local News Story - KHBS NW Arkansas

Help prevent children from being trapped inside a car?s trunk. Baby Safe Homes
Old 19th January 2010, 08:28   #184
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohan41 View Post
Dont know if this is already mentioned - I have seen incidents where someone's hand/fingers were injured by the car door while another person closes the door. One feature I wish to see is some mechanism to prevent closing the door or at least beep in such case.
Have not read all the pages -- but my '96 A4 had sensors where the window would stop rolling up and reverse if it detected an obstruction. Same for the sun-roof. I also like the one touch up/down for all windows.

Lights that stay on for a few seconds after you lock the car are nice.

Some of the new VWs have a slot on the door panel for storing umbrellas.
Old 19th January 2010, 08:40   #185
BHPian

Delayed start in Safari's rear viper wash helps avoid scratches by ensuring viper movement only after wash starts.
Old 19th January 2010, 14:46   #186
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
one feature that I liked in the Xylo is that if you operate the wash/wipe on front winscreen, the wipers makes one round about 5 seconds after the normal rounds are over. This helps in wiping away the last traces of water that might be flowing down the windscreen
I first saw this feature in a Skoda Laura (just after launch) and was mighty impressed. Really the smaller things. Today, nearly all new launches have adopted the dry-wipe system. Including the new Sumo Grande!
Old 19th January 2010, 14:57   #187
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
I first saw this feature in a Skoda Laura (just after launch) and was mighty impressed. Really the smaller things. Today, nearly all new launches have adopted the dry-wipe system. Including the new Sumo Grande!
This feature exists in Safari for donkeys ears Grande inherited it.
Old 19th January 2010, 16:10   #188
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by channelv View Post
Delayed start in Safari's rear viper wash helps avoid scratches by ensuring viper movement only after wash starts.
Such a simple feature to incorporate, but i'm surprised this isnt offerred by others. I truly appreciate the thought behind this, especially when i see the first streak on my windshield upon operating the wiper.
Old 19th January 2010, 16:59   #189
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
Such a simple feature to incorporate, but i'm surprised this isnt offerred by others. I truly appreciate the thought behind this, especially when i see the first streak on my windshield upon operating the wiper.
This function is available in Ikon 1.6 as well.
Old 19th January 2010, 19:07   #190
BHPian

Some other good to have small but nice features:

The linea's boot eliminates the arm/fulcrum "thingy" which gives more usable space. Linea owners can you please elaborate or add photos?

The rear window on the linea emotion-pk has a sieve like window shade kind of pull up which can be latched on to a knob. I think this is also present in high end cars like BMW etc.

The SX4 boot has a latch where you can hang the mat above the spare wheel so you don't have to perform contortions while getting out the spare wheel in case of wheel changes.

Last edited by shreeps : 19th January 2010 at 19:10. Reason: Sathyaprakash's question already answered - didnt see architect's post
Old 3rd May 2010, 17:29   #191
BHPian

One of the feature which I would like to see in near future is the driver controlled speed governor.
Imagine a scenario where the speed limit in the fastest lane is 80kmph. Now, instead of everytime checking whether you are exceeding the speed limit or not, just set it to 80 and start cruising.
Old 3rd May 2010, 20:23   #192
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by atrisarkar View Post
One of the feature which I would like to see in near future is the driver controlled speed governor.
Imagine a scenario where the speed limit in the fastest lane is 80kmph. Now, instead of everytime checking whether you are exceeding the speed limit or not, just set it to 80 and start cruising.
Already available 2 years ago on the Vauxhall/Opel Insignia, now in some Citroens as well.
Old 3rd May 2010, 20:34   #193
BHPian

@atrisarkar-don't you mean cruise control?
I've always felt that it wouldn't be so useful in india
Old 4th May 2010, 01:45   #194
BHPian

@Sukrit : Although I haven't driven a vehicle with cruise control, I believe in cruise control
you don't have to use the pedal once you set it to the specified speed. What I meant is you still have to use the pedal for all practical purposes, only difference being the speed will not exceed the specified limit even if you are hitting the pedal to the metal.
Old 21st June 2010, 17:15   #195
Senior - BHPian

My Alto front doors open in 2 stages - the door first opens half way(and remains there), and if you push further, opens fully (and remains there). This is very useful when you park on slopes and remain in the car, as you don't need to keep your foot under the door to stop the door from closing.

Most Viewed