Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th September 2009, 01:37   #106
BHPian

Great thread!!

Certain features which I liked in my Indica Xeta GLX (2006)

1. I can listen to music without any interruption when I switch OFF/ON the engine. (When the electrician wired I shouted at him for wrongly doing the wiring and he said that this was the feature provided by Tatas themselves. Others can comment.)

2. The doors open very wide (My friend always says that one can dive into the car). This feature also helped me when I had to move my 29" CRT TV while shifting my house. I could carry it in the back seat!

3. The windows are huge. Gives a very airy feeling. One can probably climb out through the window easily if the door gets jammed . (Haven't tried it though )

4. Internal Antenna for radio. (Don't know what other cars offer this feature)

Last edited by Rehaan : 7th September 2009 at 16:07. Reason: drsk, please stick to unqiue & special features. Post edited as some points you mentioned weren't ideal for this thread.
Old 5th September 2009, 01:41   #107
Senior - BHPian

drsk, 1 is not true for my 2007 DLG . it restarts when i crank

Last edited by Rehaan : 7th September 2009 at 16:08. Reason: Post you are referring to was edited.
Old 5th September 2009, 07:51   #108
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by spadival View Post
Similarly in VW Passat, the powered seats remain powered even without ignition being on. So if the seat is too forward, you can still adjust it without getting in or putting the key in.

Then there are the automatics that do not roll back even on the steep inclines.. Hill hold feature - found on most high end cars.
Both the features were there in my Jaguar. Another good feature was that the windows would also roll up if the car lock button inside the car was pressed. On remote locking also if the windows were down, they would roll up.
Old 5th September 2009, 08:01   #109
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
Both the features were there in my Jaguar. Another good feature was that the windows would also roll up if the car lock button inside the car was pressed. On remote locking also if the windows were down, they would roll up.
I didn't have to pay a bomb for the Jaguar for that feature. I got it in my Octavia Elegance 1.9 TDi
Old 5th September 2009, 08:58   #110
BHPian

Another neat feature most of the newer Chevy Silverado trucks have is that the stereo will stay on even after you remove the ignition key. It'll only stop playing when you've opened one of the doors.

And then my 2003 Lancer here has some features which are rare in economy cars (in North America). Like auto off lights (including headlamps) after a time delay of a minute or so. Of course that's only when you're out of the car but forgotten to switch off your lights. None of the 2003 American econocars offered that.

Also you can operate the power windows and mirrors after you've removed the ignition key, for about a minute after which it locks everything. Pretty neat if you've removed the key but forgotten to roll up your windows.

But the best feature ever has to be the ignition key in the center console area in all the Saabs, which is continued even to this day, and lends it that ultra cool character.

Last edited by sujaylahiri : 5th September 2009 at 09:04.
Old 5th September 2009, 11:23   #111
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
On remote locking also if the windows were down, they would roll up.
I think this is the feature of the remote locking mechanism and can be fit on to any car with all 4 power windows.
Old 5th September 2009, 11:47   #112
abs
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post

Well Airlines tray are not just for meals , Think about using laptops ,reading books or simply a game of chess.
Well. Proof of the pudding is in eating it. See below.

If the feature was so simple, how come no one thought of it before?-img_2508.jpg
If the feature was so simple, how come no one thought of it before?-img_2506.jpg

IMHO its pretty sufficient for mini meals / tiffin plates, but certainly not sufficient for Special Meals I got plates which fit the tray and bought luggage which fitted the the space available.

Regards

Aravind
Old 5th September 2009, 12:41   #113
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dumdum View Post
I didn't have to pay a bomb for the Jaguar for that feature. I got it in my Octavia Elegance 1.9 TDi
Well you are talking about in a modern car. I was talking about my Classic 1992 Jaguar XJ6 which had all the above along electric seats and Car Computer giving MPG/ Instantaneous MPG, Distance to Empty and Avg speed Display. Apart from that it also had a 4x2 Harman Kardon system.
Old 5th September 2009, 14:18   #114
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
drsk, 1 is not true for my 2007 DLG . it restarts when i crank
12 - is that a feature ?
Greenhorn, this will not happen on a new battery. On my 2006 DLG, the feature worked till about 2008 and then stopped working. Recently I changed the battery and the music system doesn't restart anymore. When the battery is at its intermediate life, the music doesn't restart when there is no other load on the battery. I think its also dependant if you have an amp installed!
Old 5th September 2009, 14:47   #115

Many have thought of this feature before the people at Hyundai decided to put it on the verna. As a matter of fact, my Civic, which has been subject to quite a lot of abuse due to the driving abilities of fellow punekars behaves in a similar fashion when someone makes contacts with the OVRMs. It is quite a feature no doubt, especially with cars such as the Civic and higher segments where the OVRMs cost as much as a good 150cc performer.
Being a Honda fan (not a loyalist though..), I drive a CRV too, although I have not had the courage to push the OVRMs of that car/suv in the opposite direction. God forbid, but if someone does manages to do that, I hope it has that feature on it too, or else I would be very light... in the pocket that is..
Old 6th September 2009, 09:22   #116
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by viper_711 View Post
Greenhorn, this will not happen on a new battery. On my 2006 DLG, the feature worked till about 2008 and then stopped working. Recently I changed the battery and the music system doesn't restart anymore. When the battery is at its intermediate life, the music doesn't restart when there is no other load on the battery. I think its also dependant if you have an amp installed!
On my '08 DLX, the stereo restarts, same with my sister's GLS.. maybe they changed the system sometime in between?
Old 6th September 2009, 12:45   #117
BHPian

Twice my Santro's ORVM was hit by a bus, at speeds around 20-30 kph, and it just folded back once and folded forward the other time. No damage done. Is n't it standard with all foldable ORVMs? I thought its a pretty ubiquitous feature.

And kudos to the integrated central locking lever with the door lock button. its so natural and easy. I was LOLing when I found a separate lever for central locking in a sedan!

Reg multi speed wipers, again I thought most cars had that.

On cool feature is in Mercs , the doors will auto lock when speed >20 kph. But I guess it's expensive.

One simple feature could be auto starting of wipers on rain ( as in Mercs), with manual override of course

Last edited by rageshgr : 6th September 2009 at 12:47.
Old 6th September 2009, 12:57   #118
BHPian

Just a thought - do any cars have a 2 stage hand brake.
Stage 1 would be useful when you need to go up an incline - so it only goes forward but not backwards.
Stage 2 would be useful when you need to park your car on an incline - it neither goes forward nor backward.
Old 6th September 2009, 14:03   #119
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rageshgr View Post
Twice my Santro's ORVM was hit by a bus, at speeds around 20-30 kph, and it just folded back once and folded forward the other time. No damage done. Is n't it standard with all foldable ORVMs? I thought its a pretty ubiquitous feature.

And kudos to the integrated central locking lever with the door lock button. its so natural and easy. I was LOLing when I found a separate lever for central locking in a sedan!

Reg multi speed wipers, again I thought most cars had that.

On cool feature is in Mercs , the doors will auto lock when speed >20 kph. But I guess it's expensive.

One simple feature could be auto starting of wipers on rain ( as in Mercs), with manual override of course

separate switch for central locking - I used to own a car like that !

door auto locking on car start - not so expensive, found it on a PT cruiser.

auto wipers on rain - this IS expensive (what is not so expensive is wiper speed increasing with speed increase - drove a small chevy aveo with this feature once)
Old 7th September 2009, 01:02   #120
BHPian

A feature i found quite useful is ability to operate the power windows even after switching off the car. And u can operate them only till u close the doors. (I hv seen this in some European versions of Lancer, and found extremely useful). In many other cars u r required to switch on the car again if u forget to close the windows.

Another one I liked is the Access to the boot of a sedan through the folding rear seat (or a drop down hand rest).

Other features on my wishlist are mainly to do safety in case of an electrical failure:
1. Have atleast one of the (four) power windows should have manual override.
2. A seperate power supply to the Hazard lights. so that they can be used even with rest of the power down.

Last edited by Rehaan : 7th September 2009 at 20:32. Reason: Please avoid SMS language on Team-BHP. Type in full words (r = are, u = you). Thanks.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks