Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th August 2010, 22:34   #196
BHPian

A few from the MM Xylo.

1. The time delay on intermittent wipe is programmable. Switch to the intermittent position, before a cycle is complete switch to off. Wait for desired time and switch to intermittent again. This is set as the new delay between wipes. I found this to be a neat feature (probably not cheap though)
2. Dome/Courtesy lamps for all seats - I don't know what hatches or sedans just have the front side lamps. Should not be expensive - but guess GTO's logic abt Rs 50 x 5000 probably holds true...

Another pain point is the reverse horn/siren with the car alarms. AFAIK, you can mute it only while unlocking/locking. But if not done then and you engage reverse gear, I don't think there is any way to mute it. Makes you wish for this when you 'hear' somebody doing three point parking in the wee hours.
Old 8th August 2010, 23:38   #197
BHPian

Transparent wipers

I was wondering why all cars come with black opaque wipers.
When its raining heavily and wipers are set at full speed they really obstruct the view.
Wipers made of transparent plastic would solve this problem
Old 9th August 2010, 12:49   #198
Senior - BHPian

In my Dzire as well i have such mirror. Once a motorcyclist hit hard to my right hand mirror. I was horrified that surely it will make some damage. Mirror was like parallel to car in other direction. I thought its broken. But t my surprise nothing was happened. I just moved it back to original place & go ... Good to see this feature in my car
Old 9th August 2010, 14:28   #199
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfire View Post
I was wondering why all cars come with black opaque wipers.
When its raining heavily and wipers are set at full speed they really obstruct the view.
Wipers made of transparent plastic would solve this problem
Thats a good idea but I guess even the transparent ones would create the same problem as the opaque ones. IMO the problem is more of the continuous movement in front of your eyes rather than they being black.
I would extend your idea a bit to suggest translucent body colored wipers.
Old 9th August 2010, 15:10   #200
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aniketi View Post
In my Dzire as well i have such mirror. Once a motorcyclist hit hard to my right hand mirror. I was horrified that surely it will make some damage. Mirror was like parallel to car in other direction. I thought its broken. But t my surprise nothing was happened. I just moved it back to original place & go ... Good to see this feature in my car
I think all internally adjusted ORVMs are like this. They fold in both direction. Basically for pedestrian and ORVMs safety.
Old 9th August 2010, 16:44   #201
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by atrisarkar View Post
Thats a good idea but I guess even the transparent ones would create the same problem as the opaque ones. IMO the problem is more of the continuous movement in front of your eyes rather than they being black.
I would extend your idea a bit to suggest translucent body colored wipers.

Transparent wipers = Would turn yellow with one summer-rain-winter cycle

Translucent body coloured wipers = More no. of part numbers & manufacturing & inventory related issues.

I think so..

Quote:
Originally Posted by channelv View Post
Delayed start in Safari's rear viper wash helps avoid scratches by ensuring viper movement only after wash starts.

Aah I do have that on my Logan too. Wiper starts about 2 seconds after water is sprayed.

Last edited by Rehaan : 10th August 2010 at 17:54. Reason: Posts merged. Please use the MULTIQUOTE button instead of making multiple consecutive posts in the same thread. Thanks.
karpusv is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th August 2010, 17:32   #202
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sathyaprakash View Post
Any one thought why all hatchbacks & SUV have rear wind screen wiper while the Sedans don't have one why is this like that. Does sedan cars don't require it? or what is the concept behind this can any one explain .
Sorry for raking up an old discussion. But in case not discussed...

Sedans inherently are not equipped with rear wipers. That is because of the amount of vortex generated. The wipers you see is only on hatchbacks or SUV's and MPV's.

Yes, there are vehicles like Accent VIVA which have the rear wiper. This is due to the reason that they have a smaller boot.

I could make this image attached below which broadly explains the concept of vortex formation and why hatchbacks/SUV's need rear wiper more than Sedans.

If the feature was so simple, how come no one thought of it before?-vortex10.jpg
karpusv is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th August 2010, 17:38   #203
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmxylorider View Post
Another pain point is the reverse horn/siren with the car alarms. AFAIK, you can mute it only while unlocking/locking. But if not done then and you engage reverse gear, I don't think there is any way to mute it. Makes you wish for this when you 'hear' somebody doing three point parking in the wee hours.
My Indica has the Piranha central locking system and the reverse horn that came with this, can me muted even after the car has been unlocked in normal mode.
After engaging the reverse, when the reverse horn starts, immediately press one of the buttons on the remote. Now, i dont know which button - even on my car - because i rarely do it but my wife does this all the time.
Old 9th August 2010, 18:31   #204
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deep_bang View Post
My Indica has the Piranha central locking system and the reverse horn that came with this, can me muted even after the car has been unlocked in normal mode.
After engaging the reverse, when the reverse horn starts, immediately press one of the buttons on the remote. Now, i dont know which button - even on my car - because i rarely do it but my wife does this all the time.
I think Piranha is by Autocop. I have the Scorpio system by Keystone which seems to be a sister concern of Autocop (please correct if wrong). But no harm in trying the method you suggested. Will post if this works.
Old 9th August 2010, 19:15   #205
Senior - BHPian

One thing I like about the Punto, Figo and Linea is speed sensitive volume control. The volume of the tracks being played increases as the speed of the vehicle increases to compensate for the road noise.

The speed beep of Punto is another good feature. There is a max speed limit in every city and the car can be programmed to sound a beep whenever the speed of the car exceeds a certain pre-programmed speed set by the driver.
Old 9th August 2010, 20:17   #206
BHPian

Karpusv > thanks for explaining, i can understand it clearly with the help of your diagram .
Old 9th August 2010, 20:44   #207
BHPian

I discovered this feature with the wipers recently in Indigo Manza.

When there is only a slight drizzle and even the lowest frequency of wipers ON is high.
You do not want to engage the wiper stalk. In fact you do not want the wipers ON yet.

One can press/release the wiper in a direction opposite to the regular "engage" for wipers ON -
what you get is a single sweep - just whats needed for a drizzle. A swipe on demand.

Do not know if this is standard functionality. A simple and sweet feature though not obvious.
Old 9th August 2010, 21:24   #208
BHPian

My VW golf has a very peculiar concept, when the car is parked to the left with left indicator on, engine switched of the right parking light switches on same way for right parking, left parking light is on.
Old 9th August 2010, 21:46   #209
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsmatharu View Post
I discovered this feature with the wipers recently in Indigo Manza.

When there is only a slight drizzle and even the lowest frequency of wipers ON is high.
You do not want to engage the wiper stalk. In fact you do not want the wipers ON yet.

One can press/release the wiper in a direction opposite to the regular "engage" for wipers ON -
what you get is a single sweep - just whats needed for a drizzle. A swipe on demand.

Do not know if this is standard functionality. A simple and sweet feature though not obvious.
This is 'mist' mode of the wiper available in almost all cars.
Old 10th August 2010, 16:49   #210
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by karpusv View Post
Sorry for raking up an old discussion. But in case not discussed...
Quote:
Originally Posted by sathyaprakash View Post
Karpusv > thanks for explaining, i can understand it clearly with the help of your diagram .
Neat explanation, Karpusv. You did in a post what we took four pages for (in typical Team-BHP style ) : Why no rear wash / wipe for sedans?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks