Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd January 2010, 17:30   #166
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackasta View Post
He replied - "You should watch and drive" (!!!!!!!)
Sums it up basically.
This has become a very common dialogue. Individual cars are being looked upon with hatred everywhere.
What's more, I have experienced a similar situation in the dark. Fortunately I noticed him in the last minute and swerved a little left. The idiot was also coming with a high beam!

Quote:
Originally Posted by s_yajaman View Post
Yesterday I was waiting at the Chamrajpet/Bull Temple Road signal when the Santro in front stalled as the light turned green. Srivathsa
Good job! But usually I turn deaf ears If I'm engaged in something like this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooza View Post
As for the honking, the only way out here is to link the horn of every vehicle with its brakes. "Goodbye honking" guaranteed
What an idea Sir ji!. I would also say link it to High beam when there is ample external light.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkh View Post
I just hope the guy reads this and understands and not tries to justify this behaviour at all by pointing fingers...i may have been wrong - but there was clearly not enough reason to just keep honking( 5 meters of space man!!!)
Do not Fret. It has happened to me also. I was on the NH4 driving back from Yelagiri when I spotted a car overtaking me from the shoulder of the road . He too had a TBHP sticker. I'm not giving the details here.

With more power comes more responsibility. But for some, with more power comes more ego!

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnniey View Post
I would like to share a traffic situation that I witness daily
What a terrible mess. Dude, people don't care about their own safety and how do you expect them to be courteous ?
Old 26th January 2010, 09:20   #167
BHPian

Last week there was a Lancer with a Red light (Lal Batti) on top, turned on - signalling other people who are already stuck in the traffic to get away.

I always hated to see why these headless-chickens get more right that anyone else in a free country.

but was happy to see that this young fellow walked to this Lancer and pulled the light out with enough force in a split second and ran away with it.

I give 5 to him!!!
Old 26th January 2010, 09:47   #168
BHPian

^^ haha that is some crazy stuff :-)
wonder what he plans to do with that light !!
Old 29th January 2010, 15:11   #169
Senior - BHPian

I get confused whenever I get close to the traffic signal, 2 or 3 lane road becomes 4-5 lanes automatically. I am a person who like to follow lane discipline and signalling when changing lane, but I get pi$$ed in this situation. Common rule is that vehicle who want to go to right should be on right lane, and those who wannt to go left on left lane. What I see most of the time is people on the right/left lane cut/squeese to left/right lane as soon as light turns green to go straight.

Person who follow lane discipline like me gets stuck!! or they force you to break rule.

I never used to honk, but it became bit difficult to drive without honking.

I use horn mainly:

1) To convey two wheeler/autos - Saaar I am driving in this lane please check before making sudden left/right move without signalling

2) At traffic signal - To wake the drivers at front if they take more time to move their vehicle after turning the light green.

3) At intersections

4) To convey other drivers to give proper signal especially when changing lanes.

Last edited by Latheesh : 29th January 2010 at 15:13.
Old 29th January 2010, 15:27   #170
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jassi View Post
putting tbhp stickers on the car is a responsibility - you need to behave and lead by example and while I am sure I maybe in the wrong too at times :-)
Precisely...can't agree more. Infact, that was the reason for me to put those stickers on my car. LOL!
Old 29th January 2010, 16:14   #171
BHPian

Lateesh check this -

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/1232541-post21.html

At the signal , try to park your car such a way that there is not enough space on either side for third vehicle to squeeze in - ie, not too close to the divider.

At the same time, try not to drive in the middle of the road on the white line - that is also wrong.

Last edited by aerohit : 29th January 2010 at 16:17.
Old 29th January 2010, 16:40   #172
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latheesh View Post
I never used to honk, but it became bit difficult to drive without honking.
I use horn mainly:

2) At traffic signal - To wake the drivers at front if they take more time to move their vehicle after turning the light green.
This is not nice at all. This practice creates more and more din, sometimes you see cars which are 1/2 a km behind the intersection start honking when lights turn green - and worse still it is against the law. I think the law states that you can only use horn for safety purposes. This usage is not linked to it. If you make it a habit, you may do so in a silence zone/ some crossings with no-horn indicator, and you will have a nice hefty challan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latheesh View Post
3) At intersections
why?

It is good not to take so much stress and give others stress. Drive defensively without honking.
Old 29th January 2010, 16:53   #173
Senior - BHPian

@aerohit - Thanks! this is the same I do now, but when the signals turn green all idiots from left/right squeese in and block the way. And you cannot block auto/bikes squeesing at signal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adzegeek View Post
This is not nice at all. This practice creates more and more din, sometimes you see cars which are 1/2 a km behind the intersection start honking when lights turn green - and worse still it is against the law. I think the law states that you can only use horn for safety purposes. This usage is not linked to it. If you make it a habit, you may do so in a silence zone/ some crossings with no-horn indicator, and you will have a nice hefty challan.
may be I did not explain properly, I honk mainly when the vehicle infront of me does not move even after clearing the traffic in front of him. Most of the people have habbit of using cell phone and chatting with others at signals. I just wake them up to convey my message" Signal turnd green you may move now'

[/quote]It is good not to take so much stress and give others stress. Drive defensively without honking.[/quote]

What I meant by this is, If you are entering from a main road to a pocket road and the road you are entering is a typical Indian single lane road without marking. People have a habbit of not keeping left when they are coming from pocket road to take right on main road. They always stay on right on pocket road blocking you from entering from main road to pocket road. When you honk they know that yeah...there is a vehicle entering this road.

I faced 2-3 near accidents entering pocket road at low speed without honking

Last edited by Latheesh : 29th January 2010 at 17:03.
Old 11th March 2010, 10:05   #174
BHPian

Driving etiquettes

I am always disturbed by the fact that almost all of the Indian drivers are undisciplined and not following the road rules at all. Especially when such drivers have a TeamBHP sticker or are from those so called premier IT companies. Being in the IT capital I will have to brush with them every now and then. Some of the common violations I have noted is
  • In a Signal or junction, these people won't follow the lane at all. They will try to over smart all others waiting in the lane by taking short cuts, which is one of the causes for chaotic traffic
  • Speed limits - Even in an apartment complex or in an office complex these people won't follow the speed limits and will scare the pedestrians and other fellow drivers by rash driving. And they will honk and/or overtake those who are following the rules and will act as if those following rules are the culprits
  • Overtaking from the wrong side
These are only the tip of the iceberg, and I am sure most of you will have many more things to add.

I believe, TeamBHP, with such a huge number of members and followers, need to step up to the next level for spreading awareness on driving etiquette rather than only discussing automobiles. Though enforcing rules are the duty of government, in India with such a huge population and lack of infrastructure, it is not an easy task. People participation is of utmost importance and here's where I feel teamBHP members can make a difference.

My question is, as an automobile enthusiastic community, what we can do to improve the driving conditions in India which will help everyone? I would like to know your thoughts and also on how we can take it forward. Pour in your ideas.

MODS: please merge or move to appropriate forum if a similar thread already exists
Old 11th March 2010, 11:05   #175
Senior - BHPian

Each one of us has to:

Drive in a disciplined manner,
follow rules,
not break signals,
refrain from unnecessary honking,
maintain speed limits,
follow safe driving practices (e.g. no left overtaking, especially in a 2-lane road!),
have patience while driving, etc.

There is a certain etiquette to be followed on the road - e.g. if the road is narrowing down and lanes are merging, allow the vehicle in front to go first, instead of rushing to cut him off.

When someone ahead of you changes lanes (and wants to come onto your lane), allow him as long as he is signalling, there is enough space in between the 2 cars, and don't be boorish by speeding up to cut him off.
Old 11th March 2010, 11:12   #176
BHPian

Just think a little deeper - My observation is that the population drive cars the same way they walk - rubbing shoulders, sqeezing in the Lift, pushing one another, or, simply standing too close to your body.

First the population needs to be taught how to walk, then drive.
Old 11th March 2010, 11:23   #177
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohit View Post
Just think a little deeper - My observation is that the population drive cars the same way they walk - rubbing shoulders, sqeezing in the Lift, pushing one another, or, simply standing too close to your body.

First the population needs to be taught how to walk, then drive.
Funny!!

If anyone ask me to explain Indian culture I would show them a busy Indian road and tell this is it.
Old 11th March 2010, 13:12   #178
Senior - BHPian

Nice little video explaining the science of traffic jams.

Old 11th March 2010, 14:55   #179
BHPian

Guys,

Ever since I saw the videos/pics on the "Accidents in India-Pics" thread (last week), I was mandatorily following the rules and drive with a calm mind...When driving, I always remember

"may be it will take some 5-10 mins more in reaching the destination, so why hurry and break the rules"

This worked like a charm and I could notice the difference easily. Now I was more comfortable driving through the chaotic traffic. More importantly I get absolute peace of mind and no tensions

When I see some one cutting lanes, driving rashly, I just smile and go on with my drive..

I would be more than happy and can contribute whatever way possible, if Team-BHP proposes some plans on spreading the awareness on following traffic rules..

Thanks,
Srini
Old 11th March 2010, 16:55   #180
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sriswe View Post
When driving, I always remember

"may be it will take some 5-10 mins more in reaching the destination, so why hurry and break the rules"

This worked like a charm and I could notice the difference easily. Now I was more comfortable driving through the chaotic traffic. More importantly I get absolute peace of mind and no tensions

When I see some one cutting lanes, driving rashly, I just smile and go on with my drive..
I don't think you will be reaching destination late.

Every stretch has a built in speed and this cannot be overcome.

Even if some one races or cuts lanes or drives rashly, all they would achieve is end up waiting more at the next signal.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks