Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th January 2010, 02:04   #136
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by s_yajaman View Post
Each of us has a sphere of influence no matter how small it is and it is important that we do something in this sphere. I chose to reform my usual taxi driver who drops me and picks me up from BIAL.

To start with he was quite rash, honking a lot, etc. The first time I gently told him that his behaviour would do his blood pressure no good and he was welcome to take a free BP check up with my father (a GP).

Still not enough effect. Then I told him one morning to drive at 50 km/h till Hebbal and then stick to 80 km/h till BIAL. We took 50 mins instead of 45. Then he sort of agreed that it was useless to speed.

He used to honk as soon as the light went green. I asked him why he thought the rest of the people would like to stay on sight-see at the lights. Point taken.

Along the way I told him gently but firmly that if he wanted my business (Rs.6000/month) he and any substitute driver he sent in his absence would have to adhere to all rules, no honking at lights, etc etc.

One day it was past 11 p.m. and he was merrily jumping lights. I asked him what the matter was. He said that no policeman would catch us at that time. I was livid and asked him if he would take my dead body to the crematorium in case someone crashed into us while jumping the lights. He got shaken (most of them don't like to hear about death, etc) and promised never to jump lights again and he has been true to his word. Even his substitutes stick to the straight and narrow.

Can I change the whole world? I can't. But can I try and change a few people. Certainly.

Srivathsa
You're really doing a great job, I had the simialar experience too, My dad's driver used to drive with high-beams on a scorpio, So lied to him that my license was confiscated by the cops for using high-beam and i had to go to the court to get my license reinstated. Sice then, he sets his lights to the lowest level on the lamp leveller and turns on the low beam
Old 14th January 2010, 06:48   #137
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohitjindal.in View Post

I am sure all of us have lot of excellent thoughts and ideas but apart from that, I am more optimistic because this forum has successfully translated many plans into actions in the past like t-bhp meets, OTR events etc.
My long cherished dream is to see the same camaraderie on Indian roads as we see in this forum. Inviting bouquets and brickbats… Guys keep the ideas coming.

Maybe someone can start a new thread to discuss the ‘Action Plan‘. I would have started it myself and I did not get a chance to go through the rules yet and I don’t to mess up .

Rightfully said mohit,

Now, When i got my first US License ( It can actually be compared as having been taught the road manners from scratch) since we in India havent been formally taught about it. I still rememeber getting by DL when i joined a motor training school which only involved a free trip to RTO; Maybe they wanted to see whether such a person is alive or not.; and after few hours of standing here and there; finally i was told to go back home; since it will be available after a few days.

Same situation compared here in US ( at first you dont know the rules) But the DL test ask's you to learn it ( they have one written and one hands on . Even though i mugged up for the test, after driving you know the worth of it (leave alone the tickets). So I feel making a DL test compulsory will etch in people's mind that they cannot drive under Influence, give side to an ambulance ..and so on.

Also if u have the old mumbai's booklet license it says "Driving is a Privilege not a Right"

On a side note : Once my friend took an illegal u turn on a straight road which had double bold lines , and a cop saw him; Bang 57$ on his chest, That is awesome, way to make people learn; Of course money goes to the government not to Pandus pocket.!!
Old 14th January 2010, 08:53   #138

I think stricter law enforcement and bigger fines would make a difference. In other countries, if you cross a red light, you will usually have to give up a large part of your paycheck for the month.
Old 14th January 2010, 10:11   #139
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blissfulcarver View Post
I think stricter law enforcement and bigger fines would make a difference. In other countries, if you cross a red light, you will usually have to give up a large part of your paycheck for the month.

Exactly. Just make the fines unacceptably high . For example if you jump a red light then the fine should be 15000 Rupees, no brake lights - 10000 Rupees, Driving on the wrong side of the road with your emergency flashing - 50000 Rupees . Then the bribes will shoot up from 100 Rs to 2500 or 5000 or 10000 Rupees.

The costs of breaking the law should be made unacceptably high, even if you are going to bribe your way out.Then you will see some orderly traffic. We have to be hit where it hurts.

It is rather naive to appeal to the sense of decency of people when it is a matter of life.
Old 14th January 2010, 10:52   #140
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrnsss View Post
Exactly. Just make the fines unacceptably high . For example if you jump a red light then the fine should be 15000 Rupees, no brake lights - 10000 Rupees, Driving on the wrong side of the road with your emergency flashing - 50000 Rupees . Then the bribes will shoot up from 100 Rs to 2500 or 5000 or 10000 Rupees.

The costs of breaking the law should be made unacceptably high, even if you are going to bribe your way out.Then you will see some orderly traffic. We have to be hit where it hurts.

It is rather naive to appeal to the sense of decency of people when it is a matter of life.
I agree with you on this, but should it not be made equal for everybody, including the pedestrians and cyclists and govt. cars? Why only single out the motorist as nowadays is the case. Even at 30 kmph, if a pedestrian jumps across your car, it can cause serious injury and you will be arrested for 'rash and negligent' driving. In fact I was surprised at a recent court decision that said, this is way of life in India and driver ought to take care!?

A distant relative was killed in a mid-Eastern foreign country - because he moved on the road on a 'red man'. The taxi driver involved was not even arrested or fined, since it was the pedestrians fault for jaywalking. And btw, jaywalking is an offence in India too.
Old 14th January 2010, 13:56   #141

Yes, the rules should be enforced equally on everybody. It makes no sense otherwise.
I remember when I was in the US, there was a 2 hour block on the highway 101 while I was returning from SF to LA. The block stretched for at least a few miles, but not a single vehicle moved out of its lane.. The reason was obvious- bad driving costs BIG money, not matter who you are!! -and you can't bribe your way out!
Old 14th January 2010, 14:20   #142
Distinguished - BHPian

Whilst the fines are far too low to act as a real deterrent to many, making them very much higher will also make it even more likely that police will accept a few hundred for the driver to avoid a few thousand. I think some police would be very happy with this move!
Old 14th January 2010, 14:27   #143
Senior - BHPian

What's the point of this thread?. Indians will never observe any rules. You never hear of the President or the PM or any other high official talking about the importance of civic sense and using the authority of their office to bear on concerned ministries and the bureaucracy in these matters, do we?. It is just not in our psyche to be orderly , observe propriety and maintain cleanliness in public spaces. Only a Singapore style operation will have the effect, but the political will has to be there. So, forget about it, indulge in defensive driving and pray that you get to and fro in one piece.
Old 14th January 2010, 14:48   #144
Senior - BHPian

one incident that happened to me a few days back:

I was on a road with median, and suddenly saw a bike speeding from the opposite side in my lane (wrong side of the divider - remember that was not a painted line but a 4 foot brick median). I could not swerve left as there were other vehicles+pedestrians. I shouted at that guy - "why are you on the wrong side driving like a maniac?"

He replied - "You should watch and drive" (!!!!!!!)

Sums it up basically.
Old 14th January 2010, 15:44   #145
BHPian

Getting a license in India and especially in Mumbai has become a joke. They issue anywhere between 200-500 licenses a day and are so understaffed, that the driving test is as good as non existent. You are asked to take your car straight ahead in 1st gear for 10 meters and ply the same distance back in reverse. Even my 5 year old nephew can do that. No wonder we see so many idiots driving on the road.

Also, another important thing is that as soon as many of the youngsters get their license. They feel that they are the king of the jungle or something. The way they cut lanes and drive around, you must wonder how dangerous the future is going to be. A majority of the people driving today are not aware of even the basic etiquette of driving.

Another major flaw in the system are the Driving Schools. They take students down for tests after 20 classes of 30 minutes of driving each. In my opinion, you cannot be called a decent driver unless you have driven for atleast 5000 kms or 2 years, whichever more.

Everything is flawed these days. We really need to change our driving habits. And this includes you and me. It comes so naturally to us to not follow the rules, that most of us are not even aware of when we break the law or do not follow the rules.
Old 14th January 2010, 18:17   #146
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
... 20 classes of 30 minutes of driving each ...
That, I understand, is the law. I suspect, though, that, often, 20 signatures on the paper are all that happens.
Old 14th January 2010, 19:41   #147
Senior - BHPian

I do not think we need anything more than 6-7 hours to learn driving.
Old 15th January 2010, 18:35   #148
Distinguished - BHPian

Some evidence of many people having any learning of driving would be nice.

6-7 hours? Even twice this wouldn't be enough. That people don't see it to be such a skill is the major part of the problem.
Old 15th January 2010, 21:25   #149
Senior - BHPian

well I have lived without any major incident for over 2 years with just 3 sessions (of 2 hours) of driving lessons! And so have many of my friends. I think the trick is to get a good instructor who can teach correct basics which we carry for our whole life.
Old 15th January 2010, 23:18   #150

Nope.. I think, as regards driving licenses, the trick is to coach the RTOs first, protect them from the driving school-mafia, and then make them issue licenses only to individuals who work hard and actually pass the test.... It all goes back to good old rule of law and fight-against-corruption sort of thing.. cleaning up the system is a long and painful process..
I propose, as the first step in this direction: Let all of us who have bribed RTOs(indirectly, through our driving schools) to get an easy driving license, surrender our licenses, apply for a new one, and get one through a legitimate, un-bribed test! Let us perfect our driving etiquette to such a level that even the most corrupt RTO can't refuse just because he hasn't received his packet! Are we all game?
The Father of our nation said, "Be the change that you want to see in the world". Shall we?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks