Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th March 2010, 18:21   #196
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKG View Post
Gentlemen I notice a lot of you seem to have imbibed habits that internationally have just the opposite connotation.

1. The use of horns invariably is to express displeasure. Whether its a continous blare or short bursts it invariably indicates your displeasure.

2. A turn signal is just what it is, a turn signal, and not a signal for others to pass. Its absurd how people in India are adapting this to imply a car behind may pass

Please bear in mind that its not a question of freedom of interpretation. This misinterpretation of widely accepted norms of behaviour across the planet can only jeopardise your safety. Please follow what is common across the globe so we all get into the habit of driving safely, regardless of where we drive
Have to somewhat disagree with point 1 and strongly agree to point 2

In India, honking is a life saving device. For me, the cyclist, the pedestrian etc..... I wish we could have International standards of driving, but the reality of the current situation is such.

I've been in situations where I've been abused by pedestrians/cyclists for not honking. "What's wrong with you, can't you honk to say that you are coming" Not honking while I drive through a village or when I approach a small intersection however slow I may be going is asking for trouble at times.

Well in the UK, I've seen if someone flashes their lights it means that they are giving Us the right of way. Its just the opposite in India!!

The right turn indicator is such a stupid thing. I start to overtake and the guy takes a right turn. Sometimes I keep following and the guy doesn't even turn for a kilometre.
Old 13th March 2010, 18:43   #197
Senior - BHPian

Well, in my experience, honking can almost be fully avoided, except in emergency situations. I don't even remember when I honked last while driving.

Here, in most cases the purpose of drivers using horn is to announce that "I am coming, respect me/give me way" rather than "be careful, you are doing something wrong". For me, it indicates either outright arrogance or lack of confidence in his driving skills rather than a desire to avoid a danger.

The above is "IMHO" and I don't want to start a debate on this.
Old 13th March 2010, 18:56   #198
BHPian

usage of horn from UK Highway code

The horn. Use only while your vehicle is moving and you need to warn other road users of your presence. Never sound your horn aggressively. You MUST NOT use your horn
  • while stationary on the road
  • when driving in a built-up area between the hours of 11.30 pm and 7.00 am
except when another road user poses a danger.
Old 13th March 2010, 19:15   #199
BHPian

My 2 cents:-

A real bugger is when you flash your indicator to indicate you're gonna make a turn and some stupid driver overtakes you from the very side you were gonna turn towards, and you just miss him by inches.

If someone wants to overtake you, you shift towards the left. Again, some stupid drivers overtake you from the left. I've barely escaped these people many times.

People changing horns of their vehicles. When someone honks, you get an idea of the vehicle from the horn frequency. But these days bike owners fit car horns on their vehicles, and when you hear a car horn, you shift 3 feet to the left, only to see a a foot wide vehicle overtake you.
Old 13th March 2010, 19:32   #200
Team-BHP Support

Well I have to say, I used to honk a lot, but I have stopped almost now. The best to experience this is put oneself on the other's shoes esp. the pedestrian. For other drivers, we should be able to able to do without horns. But most illiterate drivers who drive cabs and pick-up vans, it does not make a difference for them whether you honk or not. So better off without honking. For buses and trucks again it does not make a difference as they hardly listen !
Old 13th March 2010, 19:48   #201
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anku94 View Post
My 2 cents:-

A real bugger is when you flash your indicator to indicate you're gonna make a turn and some stupid driver overtakes you from the very side you were gonna turn towards, and you just miss him by inches.

If someone wants to overtake you, you shift towards the left. Again, some stupid drivers overtake you from the left. I've barely escaped these people many times.

People changing horns of their vehicles. When someone honks, you get an idea of the vehicle from the horn frequency. But these days bike owners fit car horns on their vehicles, and when you hear a car horn, you shift 3 feet to the left, only to see a a foot wide vehicle overtake you.

I experienced all of these many times - and most of the time from cabbies ( read sumo drivers).
Old 13th March 2010, 20:15   #202
Senior - BHPian

I should have probably mentioned that whatever I have stated is more for the highways and not for the cities. I do not subscribe to honking while waiting at signals, being stuck behind a stalled car etc...

Unfortunately a lot of highways are ploughed right through villages especially some of the 4 lanes that come up. The villagers do not how to cross these roads and assume each side as a separate road. Thats why you see some of them sitting on the center divider, driving on the wrong side that too on the inner most lane, looking the other way when the cross the road etc... What most of them do is out of ignorance. My village is right next to the highway and they have realized it the hard way. Few deaths, some terrible accidents and now they all know which side is the right side. Shame ain't it!
Old 13th March 2010, 20:46   #203
J.Ravi

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasoo View Post
honking can almost be fully avoided
In India, I have seen almost all the trucks painted with the slogan: 'Sound Horn' in bold letters at their rear. Another case of unity in diversity! Perhaps, it is in compliance with mandatory RTO regulation, I do not know. But, even when I do not want to honk my horn, I am instructed to do so by the trucker going in front of me!

Old 13th March 2010, 23:46   #204
Distinguished - BHPian

It also often says "Stop". Are we supposed to?

Weird.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th March 2010, 00:33   #205
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Ravi View Post
In India, I have seen almost all the trucks painted with the slogan: 'Sound Horn' in bold letters at their rear. Another case of unity in diversity! Perhaps, it is in compliance with mandatory RTO regulation, I do not know. But, even when I do not want to honk my horn, I am instructed to do so by the trucker going in front of me!
While over-taking a truck/trailer it is very much necessary that you sound the horn so as to warn the truck driver of your presence.Some of these trucks dont even have ORVMs, so they can never see you passing by and could sway in your direction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
It also often says "Stop". Are we supposed to?
The 'Stop' sign is there behind some trucks to remind you to stop/slow down and check for oncoming traffic before overtaking the truck when it comes to a halt. There is also a possibility that the truck might start moving immediately and if you try overtaking during this time it might lead to an accident.

Last edited by harishnair : 14th March 2010 at 00:44.
Old 19th March 2010, 12:24   #206
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Again, some stupid drivers overtake you from the left. I've barely escaped these people many times.
I had a scary experience recently on NH17 in Kerala.

Two lane highway without divider, a big bus is in front of me. After trailing the bus at low speed for some KMs, I request for overtaking and get permission from the bus driver. I move to right, start to overtake only to realise a distant oncoming vehicle. At my speed, I calculate that I have no way to overtake safely. I give up and start coming to my left.

To my horror, I see a Swift sneaking into the gap on my left that I was vacating. I almost banged on to this fellow. Quick reflexes and I slow down, go behind the Swift thanking my stars that I did not hit him.

Such guys spoil the fun of long distance driving.

Last edited by sbraj : 19th March 2010 at 12:26.
Old 19th March 2010, 13:24   #207
BHPian

Sad. We Indians do have a long way to go before we deserve to be on roads. And that includes spitting and trashing on roads as well. Not an uncommon sight to see remnants of a hearty lunch flying from a bus window.
Old 19th March 2010, 13:55   #208
Senior - BHPian

I have started seeing a strange habit in night driving - people drive in high beam till they reach the oncoming vehicle, and dip their lights at the moment the oncoming vehicle is just about to pass.

First I thought it's just my feeling when I drive, but realized that it is true when I hired a taxi. When I asked the Taxi Driver why he is doing this, the reply is "I have been holding this steering for over 20 years, I know how to drive".

Whether doing out of ignorance or arrogance, I feel this is outright dangerous. Have you noticed this, or is it just only me?
Old 19th March 2010, 14:00   #209
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbraj View Post
I had a scary experience recently on NH17 in Kerala.

Two lane highway without divider, a big bus is in front of me. After trailing the bus at low speed for some KMs, I request for overtaking and get permission from the bus driver. I move to right, start to overtake only to realise a distant oncoming vehicle. At my speed, I calculate that I have no way to overtake safely. I give up and start coming to my left.

To my horror, I see a Swift sneaking into the gap on my left that I was vacating. I almost banged on to this fellow. Quick reflexes and I slow down, go behind the Swift thanking my stars that I did not hit him.

Such guys spoil the fun of long distance driving.
Yeah fully agree. On a four lane to a certain extent this would be ok. But in a normal two lane its almost like a death sentence.

Another basic etiquette or rather road manners is when there is an obstruction that comes up and the vehicle behind is not aware as he's at a blind spot, its good to turn on your indicator or signal appropriately. You might swerve out of the way, the vehicle following you might not!
Old 19th March 2010, 15:32   #210
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Sad. We Indians do have a long way to go before we deserve to be on roads. And that includes spitting and trashing on roads as well. Not an uncommon sight to see remnants of a hearty lunch flying from a bus window.
Not to miss the open municipal garbage trucks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jinojohnt View Post
I have started seeing a strange habit in night driving - people drive in high beam till they reach the oncoming vehicle, and dip their lights at the moment the oncoming vehicle is just about to pass.

First I thought it's just my feeling when I drive, but realized that it is true when I hired a taxi. When I asked the Taxi Driver why he is doing this, the reply is "I have been holding this steering for over 20 years, I know how to drive".

Whether doing out of ignorance or arrogance, I feel this is outright dangerous. Have you noticed this, or is it just only me?
I have experienced it too. Its sheer ignorance coupled with callousness. Thats it.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks